Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Car not getting gas ...
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
vesnyder
When I give it a few sprays with starter fluid it runs for ~10 sec then dies. I checked the fuel pump and it isworking OK (it's at least pumping gas?). It's a 1.7 with D-Jet. What else should I check?
tod914
1. test the fuel pressure should be around 29lbs if i recall.
2. pull out the injectors 1 at a time and see if they spray properly/at all. put them in a jar when u test them so the gas doesnt go all over the place.

that should narrow things down.

* The Haynes book gives you info on testing the fuel pressure.
zymurgist
Oh man. Have you come to the right place. I've been fighting fuel injection problems for a few months, off and on, with a '74 2.0 D-Jet.

1. Make sure you have gas in the tank. Not trying to make fun of you, but I had this exact problem a week ago. No fuel pressure because there was no fuel.

2. Is there fuel pressure? I made a pressure gauge out of a water pressure gauge and a length of fuel injection hose, and connected it to the fuel rail where the cold start injector connects on the driver's side (this is on a 2.0).

3. Try turning the ignition on and go to the engine compartment and work the throttle. You should hear one injector on each side of the engine "buzz." If you're not hearing that from 2 injectors at a time (which two depends on where the dizzy is), your injectors may be stuck. Or you may have a bad electrical connection to one or more injectors. Make sure the plugs are tight enough to grip the pins on the injector, and check the ground wires.

4. Are the injectors spraying fuel? You can pull them from the intake runners, a pair at a time, and put them into small glass jars and crank the engine. It's easy to do this on the driver's side. If you do this, disconnect the wire from the coil so you don't have any stray sparks.
vesnyder
Ken - As embarassed as I am, the car was out of gas? The fact that I drove it into the garage I could not beleive that was it? I just installed a new gas gauge and it needs calibrated. Thanks for your help!
zymurgist
D'oh!

Glad to be of help. smile.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.