Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

> Do I run a ballast resistor?
Mockmaw
post Sep 12 2003, 10:50 AM
Post #1

Group: Members
Member No.: 438

Okay, I'm running in circles confusing myself.

I'm running a Mallory Unilite distributor and a new bosch blue coil. No C/D. No MSD.

On the front of my blue coil it says "Not Internally Resisted".. does this mean I need to run a ballast resistor? I didn't know they even made blue coils that weren't internally resisted.

Thoughts?
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
Replies(1 - 3)
Mockmaw
post Sep 12 2003, 11:30 AM
Post #2

Member No.: 438

Err.. scratch that.. it says "Without Resistance"
+Quote Post
MarkV
post Sep 12 2003, 11:36 AM
Post #3

Fear the Jack Stands

Member No.: 154
Region Association: None

This is what I used for a Pertronix Flame Thrower coil:

The next step is to determine the resistance in the primary ignition. Label the wires attached to the coil terminals and note their appropriate location. Make sure that the ignition switch is off and disconnect all wires from the coil. Adjust your meter to the lowest ? ohm scale. If you are using an analog style meter make sure to zero the needle. Measure from the negative terminal to the positive terminal. Write your measurement down.

Now the maximum system amperage can be determined, divide your voltage measurement by your coil resistance measurement. This will give you the system current or amperage.

Four cylinder engines should not exceed 4 amps. Six and eight cylinder engines should not exceed 8.5 amps. If the total amperage in your system is higher than the amount recommended for your application, you should install a ballast resistor.

Example Voltage 12
Resistance 1.5
12 / 1.5 = 8
Total amperage 8
+Quote Post
Joseph Mills
post Sep 12 2003, 12:38 PM
Post #4

on a Sonoma diet now...

Member No.: 39

QUOTE(Mockmaw @ Sep 12 2003, 10:50 AM)
I'm running a Mallory Unilite distributor and a new bosch blue coil. No C/D. No MSD.

On the front of my blue coil it says "Not Internally Resisted".. does this mean I need to run a ballast resistor? I didn't know they even made blue coils that weren't internally resisted.

I just went through this also. In my case, I'm running a HYFIRE CD box, so don't need a ballast - and my Blue coil has a built in resistor (Brad pointed this out to me originally).

However, in your case, it sounds like you SHOULD use a resistor. Mallory has a tech number you can call and get it straight from them. The number is 1-775-882-6600.
+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 20th May 2024 - 01:44 AM