Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Do I run a ballast resistor?
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Mockmaw
Okay, I'm running in circles confusing myself.

I'm running a Mallory Unilite distributor and a new bosch blue coil. No C/D. No MSD.

On the front of my blue coil it says "Not Internally Resisted".. does this mean I need to run a ballast resistor? I didn't know they even made blue coils that weren't internally resisted.

Thoughts?
Mockmaw
Err.. scratch that.. it says "Without Resistance"
MarkV
This is what I used for a Pertronix Flame Thrower coil:

The next step is to determine the resistance in the primary ignition. Label the wires attached to the coil terminals and note their appropriate location. Make sure that the ignition switch is off and disconnect all wires from the coil. Adjust your meter to the lowest ? ohm scale. If you are using an analog style meter make sure to zero the needle. Measure from the negative terminal to the positive terminal. Write your measurement down.

Now the maximum system amperage can be determined, divide your voltage measurement by your coil resistance measurement. This will give you the system current or amperage.

Four cylinder engines should not exceed 4 amps. Six and eight cylinder engines should not exceed 8.5 amps. If the total amperage in your system is higher than the amount recommended for your application, you should install a ballast resistor.

Example Voltage 12
Resistance 1.5
12 / 1.5 = 8
Total amperage 8
Joseph Mills
QUOTE(Mockmaw @ Sep 12 2003, 10:50 AM)
I'm running a Mallory Unilite distributor and a new bosch blue coil. No C/D. No MSD.

On the front of my blue coil it says "Not Internally Resisted".. does this mean I need to run a ballast resistor? I didn't know they even made blue coils that weren't internally resisted.

I just went through this also. In my case, I'm running a HYFIRE CD box, so don't need a ballast - and my Blue coil has a built in resistor (Brad pointed this out to me originally).

However, in your case, it sounds like you SHOULD use a resistor. Mallory has a tech number you can call and get it straight from them. The number is 1-775-882-6600.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.