Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

3 Pages V < 1 2 3 >  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Buck Owens, Aint thar no cuntry fayans out thar???
zymurgist
post Mar 27 2006, 05:32 PM
Post #21

"Ace" Mechanic

Group: Members
Member No.: 4,238
Region Association: None

"You found another and pfft! you were gone."
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
bryanc
post Mar 27 2006, 05:55 PM
Post #22

Member No.: 2,495
Region Association: Southwest Region

QUOTE (Cap'n Krusty @ Mar 27 2006, 01:26 PM)
QUOTE (turboman808 @ Mar 27 2006, 12:48 PM)
I listen to alot of country but I can't say I am familiar with him.  Saw on the CMT site this morning.

You don't know Buck because he never fit the Nashville formula, and that's what gets played on about 99% of the "country music" stations nationwide. Been that way for probably 30 years. He was responsible, almost singlehandedly, for setting the stage for Merle Haggard, Dwight Yokam, and a whole slew of Bakersfield and Los Angeles based country singers. There's a whole world of outstanding country music out there that you'll probably never hear on so called "country music" stations. In fact, most of it is way better than the stuff they play. The Cap'n

This is the truth....

There are lots of alternative country artists out there that just kick ass.... Robert Earl Keen, Lyle Lovett, Charlie Robison, Dwight Yoakam, Buck, Merle, Willie (some days).... Satellite radio is great if you are into anything but top-40 pop or country music. Phoenix, for example, has no really good country stations, I listen to one in Globe when I can get it to tune in.

Problem is that they don't have sponsorship from major vendors so they just arent played on radio as much.... oh wait, that's the problem with NASCAR.

For some fun listen to Hayseed Dixie: Classic AC/DC (and others) songs done by a great bluegrass band.
+Quote Post
rjames
post Mar 27 2006, 06:03 PM
Post #23

I'm made of metal

Member No.: 4,467
Region Association: Pacific Northwest

Damn, I didn't hear that he had died.
I was fortunate enough to get to see him play the Bumbershoot festival in Seattle. He opened up for the band 'Live'. He had recovered from throat cancer at that point. He couldn't talk very well, but somehow when he sang it sounded great. I didn't read every one of the prior posts, but he was responsible for quite a few hits. I always liked "Tiger By The Tail', and of course 'Act Naturally' I think was written by him too. The Beatles covered that one on the 'Yesterday and Today' album.
I'm *only* 37 years old, but I remember of course seeing him on Hee Haw, and hearing a lot of his songs on the radio when I was a kid. Of course, that's when they actually played country music on the radio....
+Quote Post
Elliot_Cannon
post Mar 27 2006, 06:38 PM
Post #24

Group: Retired Members
Member No.: 480
Region Association: None

QUOTE (Headrage @ Mar 27 2006, 01:44 PM)
A staple around B-town. Gone.

I hear he's really big in Turkey, so you'll feel right at home. (IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/html/emoticons/laugh.gif)

Elliot
+Quote Post
Lou W
post Mar 27 2006, 07:14 PM
Post #25

"Here Kitty Kitty" my ass......

Member No.: 2,039
Region Association: Spain

QUOTE (bryanc @ Mar 27 2006, 04:55 PM)
QUOTE (Cap'n Krusty @ Mar 27 2006, 01:26 PM)
QUOTE (turboman808 @ Mar 27 2006, 12:48 PM)
I listen to alot of country but I can't say I am familiar with him.  Saw on the CMT site this morning.

You don't know Buck because he never fit the Nashville formula, and that's what gets played on about 99% of the "country music" stations nationwide. Been that way for probably 30 years. He was responsible, almost singlehandedly, for setting the stage for Merle Haggard, Dwight Yokam, and a whole slew of Bakersfield and Los Angeles based country singers. There's a whole world of outstanding country music out there that you'll probably never hear on so called "country music" stations. In fact, most of it is way better than the stuff they play. The Cap'n

This is the truth....

There are lots of alternative country artists out there that just kick ass.... Robert Earl Keen, Lyle Lovett, Charlie Robison, Dwight Yoakam, Buck, Merle, Willie (some days).... Satellite radio is great if you are into anything but top-40 pop or country music. Phoenix, for example, has no really good country stations, I listen to one in Globe when I can get it to tune in.

Problem is that they don't have sponsorship from major vendors so they just arent played on radio as much.... oh wait, that's the problem with NASCAR.

For some fun listen to Hayseed Dixie: Classic AC/DC (and others) songs done by a great bluegrass band.

Check your local cable tv source, my Adelphia has Classic Country, I've been working at home listening to it. (IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/html/emoticons/smile.gif)
+Quote Post
jimtab
post Mar 27 2006, 07:23 PM
Post #26

Advanced Member

Member No.: 91
Region Association: Northern California

My dad was a real, honest to god working Montana cowboy before ww2 and he always said Buck Owens was "all cowboy hat and no cattle" but he did like tiger by the tail, but he was always embarrased by that....anyone who paved the way for Lyle Lovett is OK with me...best country singer since Bocepus daddy...and Patsy Cline...ok, so I'm old school....so? (IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/html/emoticons/biggrin.gif)
+Quote Post
Cap'n Krusty
post Mar 27 2006, 07:37 PM
Post #27

Cap'n Krusty

Member No.: 2,246
Region Association: Central California

Opening line of one of my favorites: "I got the hungrys for your love and I'm waitin' in your welfare line" Tried to catch Buck a year ago at the Crystal Palace, but he was out sick. Sorry I never made it back ..........
The Cap'n
+Quote Post
JB 914
post Mar 27 2006, 07:48 PM
Post #28

Daddy! Finish my car NOW!!!

Member No.: 2,831

(IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/html/emoticons/ohmy.gif) (IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/html/emoticons/sad.gif) (IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/html/emoticons/pray.gif)

If have always been a big fan of Dwight and got familar with Buck thru his music. RIP Buck
+Quote Post
Lou W
post Mar 27 2006, 07:55 PM
Post #29

I saw Dwight perform locally a couple of years ago, it was great concert. insert cowboy hat (IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/html/emoticons/tunez.gif)
+Quote Post
Eric_Shea
post Mar 27 2006, 08:07 PM
Post #30

PMB Performance

Group: Admin
Member No.: 1,110
Region Association: Rocky Mountains

He was responsible, almost singlehandedly, for setting the stage for Merle Haggard, Dwight Yokam, and a whole slew of Bakersfield and Los Angeles based country singers.

Yup... I think it was Merle who coined it as the "Bakersfield Sound".

It's good to see Buck have such a good run of it. As stated a few up... RIP Buck. Thanks for the memories and the music. (IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/html/emoticons/smilie_pokal.gif)
+Quote Post
jetboy
post Mar 27 2006, 10:33 PM
Post #31

914 Uber Noob

Member No.: 4,810
Region Association: Southern California

Although im not the country type, Buck was a great figure from Bakersfield. I just dont know if he was really worthy of having a road named after him and removal of the Bakersfield sign from the strip really annoyed me... But, he will be missed.
+Quote Post
SGB
post Mar 27 2006, 10:49 PM
Post #32

just visiting

Member No.: 404
Region Association: South East States

I understand he was a lot like NACAR:
much more intellectual and calculated than the market cares to realize.
+Quote Post
bernbomb914
post Mar 27 2006, 11:28 PM
Post #33

one of the oldest Farts on this board

Group: Benefactors
Member No.: 36

If you are my age and you lived in So Cal you had to listen to Cliffy Stones home town Jamboree TVed at the old El Monte Stomp. featured Buck Owens ,Tennesee Ernie Ford, Roy ?, Johny Cash, M Haggard,and a whole bunch of non Nashville types that were one of the most watched TV programs in the country.

Bernie
+Quote Post
shoguneagle
post Mar 27 2006, 11:32 PM
Post #34

shoguneagle

Member No.: 84
Region Association: Northern California

Buck Owens, thanks for the many songs and the "Bakerfield's Sound". My wife and I were planning on seeing his show in Bakersfield this year. Alas!! It will never happen.

If I remember correctly, he was both honored in the Rock and Roll industry as well as the Country music industry. I do know he did his own thing and stayed in Bakersfield for a lot of years. He stilled performed two nights a week when he was seventy-five. I have to respect a man or woman who marches to their own drumbeat and still enjoy it when everyone else has retired.

I am not a C&W fan per se but I really respect Buck Owens. He was one of a kind and followed his own ideas. Something America is saddly missing: belief in the individual and individual effort .

Thanks for the music.

Steve N Sandy Hurt
+Quote Post
Eric_Shea
post Mar 27 2006, 11:32 PM
Post #35

PMB Performance

Roy ?

Acuff
+Quote Post
Joseph Mills
post Mar 27 2006, 11:44 PM
Post #36

on a Sonoma diet now...

Member No.: 39

QUOTE (Eric_Shea @ Mar 27 2006, 11:32 PM)
Roy ?

Acuff

Probably Roy Clark.

+Quote Post
Eric_Shea
post Mar 27 2006, 11:45 PM
Post #37

PMB Performance

Indeed! The better known Roy in that crowd. Talk about one hell of a guitar player!! (IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/html/emoticons/ohmy.gif)
+Quote Post
Lou W
post Mar 27 2006, 11:46 PM
Post #38

Rogers?
+Quote Post
Eric_Shea
post Mar 27 2006, 11:47 PM
Post #39

PMB Performance

Except the Tennessee Ernie Ford then Roy ? reference still makes me think Acuff... (IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/html/emoticons/idea.gif)
+Quote Post
Joseph Mills
post Mar 28 2006, 12:00 AM
Post #40

on a Sonoma diet now...

Member No.: 39

QUOTE (Eric_Shea @ Mar 27 2006, 11:47 PM)
Except the Tennessee Ernie Ford then Roy ? reference still makes me think Acuff...  :idea:

I think I thought of Roy Clark because... wasn't he on HeeHaw a lot? I always associate him with that California crowd.

Lots of good players named Roy.

Roy Buchannon would be one of my favorites.

+Quote Post

3 Pages V < 1 2 3 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 3rd May 2024 - 05:57 AM