Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

3 Pages V < 1 2 3 >  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> OT - Ours are the WORST, Drivers in the Bay area
vortrex
post Mar 28 2006, 12:07 AM
Post #21

Group: Members
Member No.: 4
Region Association: None

QUOTE (Howard @ Mar 27 2006, 05:54 PM)
SoCal ain't so hot either, but ya gotta try New Jersey. Just about the highest insurance rates in the US, and for good reason.

Euro driving is mucho better. Except for Brussels (IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/html/emoticons/biggrin.gif)

yeah obvisouly you guys have not been to philly/jersey. christ..
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
GTPatrick
post Mar 28 2006, 12:47 AM
Post #22

Member No.: 4,768

ITSA914, . . . That would be I-285. And the Redneck 500 was just as bad back in the 70's and is worse now in ATL with 6 to 8 lanes going each way with more crazy kamikaze drivers.

BTW , I gather y'all have not driven lately in Memphis . With all the idiot (IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/html/emoticons/stromberg.gif) , six toed inbred (IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/html/emoticons/sheeplove.gif) , from the shallow end of the gene pool drivers of all nationalities available to F#### (IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/html/emoticons/finger.gif) things up. (IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/html/emoticons/barf.gif) Life can be very dangersous and interesting during rush hour. (IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/html/emoticons/screwy.gif) Wish I had a Sherman Tank to drive to and from work. (IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/html/emoticons/ar15.gif)

And from what I heard from a buddy in Tuscon, itza a Hell of a lot worse down there.
+Quote Post
Porcharu
post Mar 28 2006, 02:06 AM
Post #23

Member No.: 3,518
Region Association: Northern California

QUOTE (jkeyzer @ Mar 27 2006, 06:13 PM)
What makes it worse is that I would rate the bay area as 4 out of 5 stars in terms of required driving skill for the roads compared to other places I have lived.  There are a lot of very poorly design merges, onramps/offramps, construction and poor maintenance.  Take Central Expressway for example, I see a at least 1 or 2 rear end accidents a week on the onramps.  People are afraid to merge with moving traffic (they look for 7-10 seconds of NO cars coming), so they stop.  The guy behind them is accelerating to get onto the expressway and probably looking in the side view to see if there is oncoming traffic...  WHAM.  Just ask Dave Darling...

Then again, I doubt our traffic can even compare to Mexico, many South American countries, and many parts of Asia.  Apparently the Phillipines are interesting according to coworkers.

Central expressway is STUPID. It has way way to many on and off ramps. Some of them are fun, I love both of them from Fair oaks. East is blind but if you up to speed it's a very easy merge, West is just plain fun with the downhill ramp. I used to use that ramp as a test for the track car - see if I could hit 90 by the end. That "might" have been stupid. (IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/html/emoticons/biggrin.gif) This is the on ramp that has a rear ender every other day because some moron slammed on the brakes instead of merging into traffic, no excuse at all even a VW van could be going the limit at the end of the ramp.

The first time I went to Germany I hope into a cab from the Munich airport and hand the driver the address of my hotel. We pull onto the Autobahn and he asks me "you like go fast?" I say sure - I swear I heard the throttle pedal hit the floor and this big ol' gas hog Mercedes starts hauling down the road. I saw 260 Kph at one point and the driver calmly says the car is getting old - it used to go 280 here! I could have slept during that ride, I felt totally safe, he drove very smooth and courtious the whole time.

I don't think 20% of the drivers here in the Bay Area could pass the German driving test (my friend failed 2 times.)
+Quote Post
mightyohm
post Mar 28 2006, 02:48 AM
Post #24

Advanced Member

Group: Benefactors
Member No.: 162
Region Association: Pacific Northwest

I take the Mathilda ramps every day and I am not fond of people who stop after the blind corner... I have been known to pass stopped cars getting onto Central, but really I should know better. (IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/html/emoticons/screwy.gif)
+Quote Post
JerryP
post Mar 28 2006, 07:30 AM
Post #25

Member No.: 1,225

Another vote for Jersey drivers.

I thought Puerto Rico was the craziest driving experience I ever saw. No signals. Apparently no inspections as there were cars with no doors, smoking down the highway on 4 different rims. Chickens flying off trucks(just missed my rental car). All this on 6 lanes of traffic. After a few days, though, it became predictable. You knew who to stay away from.

No such luck with Jersey. I refuse to drive behind a car with Jersey plates as I know they will come up with some assanine move that I had previously thought unfathomable.
+Quote Post
mudfoot76
post Mar 28 2006, 08:04 AM
Post #26

Currently teenerless :-(

Member No.: 1,814

QUOTE (Howard @ Mar 27 2006, 08:54 PM)
Except for Brussels (IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/html/emoticons/biggrin.gif)

That could probably be extended to other Belgian cities. Luik (Liege) was also a nightmare when I was there....
+Quote Post
mikelsr
post Mar 28 2006, 09:23 AM
Post #27

Member No.: 3,390
Region Association: Southwest Region

QUOTE (drewvw @ Mar 27 2006, 08:17 PM)
for some reason, I feel a little insulted right now.  People get mad here if you stop to take the time to DO all of those things you listed....just make your move and be done with it!

I knew you had to be from Boston when I read your response. Make sure you don't get caught on the inside of a rotoary as a visitor (ask me how I know)..

I'll be out there on Monday and leaving on Tuesday (meeting at Linux World Expo). If I had more time it would have been nice to have a get together out there.

Mike

+Quote Post
Brian Mifsud
post Mar 28 2006, 09:30 AM
Post #28

Mechanical Engineer

Member No.: 384

After driving in Bay Area for 25 years, I find little relief in San Diego... as a matter of fact, it's WORSE because it DIFFERENT

so I'm not expecting:

- Every other vehicle is a 4x4 Pickup w/ Lift Kit so you can't see over it (land of the SAND RAT)
- They are driven as though they had the handling of a 914 (instantaneous lane changes etc)
- Driven as thought they weighed nothing, so when the 5500 pound pickup is on your ass, your fingers are crossed.........

- Penchant for people entering the boulevard from a driveway to ALWAY underestimate MY speed, and NEVER YIELD, So I'm on the brakes hard...

In Bay Area, the changes I've seen over the years are that as the cars become more CAPABLE (Honda's still have better handling than a '74 Buick), people take advantage of it and abuse it in kind. I'm sure this is happening all over the country also...

People seem to be driving with a very Heightened sense of DESPERATION.. almost as though their life DEPENDED on getting ahead of the traffic....... too many rats in a maze...
+Quote Post
drewvw
post Mar 28 2006, 09:41 AM
Post #29

new england car guy

Member No.: 5,630
Region Association: North East States

QUOTE (mikelsr @ Mar 28 2006, 07:23 AM)
QUOTE (drewvw @ Mar 27 2006, 08:17 PM)
for some reason, I feel a little insulted right now.  People get mad here if you stop to take the time to DO all of those things you listed....just make your move and be done with it!

I knew you had to be from Boston when I read your response. Make sure you don't get caught on the inside of a rotoary as a visitor (ask me how I know)..

I'll be out there on Monday and leaving on Tuesday (meeting at Linux World Expo). If I had more time it would have been nice to have a get together out there.

Mike

a few months ago, there is a rotary by my house and this woman with maryland plates got "caught" in the rotary. She must have got around 3 times while I was there. Couldn't figure out how to get out. It was hilarious

yeah that would have been cool, I won't be around this week however....
+Quote Post
reddog
post Mar 28 2006, 09:54 AM
Post #30

Member No.: 5,299

I'll tell you about Kuwait later (IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/html/emoticons/icon_bump.gif)
+Quote Post
jimtab
post Mar 28 2006, 10:30 AM
Post #31

Advanced Member

Member No.: 91

QUOTE (Brian Mifsud @ Mar 28 2006, 07:30 AM)
After driving in Bay Area for 25 years, I find little relief in San Diego... as a matter of fact, it's WORSE because it DIFFERENT

so I'm not expecting:

- Every other vehicle is a 4x4 Pickup w/ Lift Kit so you can't see over it (land of the SAND RAT)
- They are driven as though they had the handling of a 914 (instantaneous lane changes etc)
- Driven as thought they weighed nothing, so when the 5500 pound pickup is on your ass, your fingers are crossed.........

- Penchant for people entering the boulevard from a driveway to ALWAY underestimate MY speed, and NEVER YIELD, So I'm on the brakes hard...

In Bay Area, the changes I've seen over the years are that as the cars become more CAPABLE (Honda's still have better handling than a '74 Buick), people take advantage of it and abuse it in kind. I'm sure this is happening all over the country also...

People seem to be driving with a very Heightened sense of DESPERATION.. almost as though their life DEPENDED on getting ahead of the traffic....... too many rats in a maze...

I also think NASCAR and the fast and furious bs has "taught" people to execute snap lane changes and "heroic" high risk manuvers....apparently in order to keep your "johnson" at full size...even the gals seem to be concerned....sometimes VERY aggressive.... (IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/html/emoticons/confused24.gif)
+Quote Post
Root_Werks
post Mar 28 2006, 12:04 PM
Post #32

Village Idiot

Member No.: 2,105

I drive as little as possible these days. Mostly the bus and then just the weekends if any running around needs to be done. (IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/html/emoticons/driving.gif)

Seattle area isn't any different it seems. Just a bunch of crazy people not paying attention and getting pissed the first chance they get.
+Quote Post
zymurgist
post Mar 28 2006, 12:23 PM
Post #33

"Ace" Mechanic

Member No.: 4,238

QUOTE (drewvw @ Mar 28 2006, 10:41 AM)
a few months ago, there is a rotary by my house and this woman with maryland plates got "caught" in the rotary. She must have got around 3 times while I was there. Couldn't figure out how to get out. It was hilarious

Look, kids... Big Ben... Parliament...
+Quote Post
Root_Werks
post Mar 28 2006, 12:24 PM
Post #34

Village Idiot

Member No.: 2,105

QUOTE (zymurgist @ Mar 28 2006, 10:23 AM)
QUOTE (drewvw @ Mar 28 2006, 10:41 AM)
a few months ago, there is a rotary by my house and this woman with maryland plates got "caught" in the rotary.  She must have got around 3 times while I was there.  Couldn't figure out how to get out.  It was hilarious

Look, kids... Big Ben... Parliament...

(IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/html/emoticons/av-943.gif)
+Quote Post
newto914s
post Mar 28 2006, 12:36 PM
Post #35

Member No.: 1,663

It's pritty crazy down here in PR. Use of the shoulder as a lane in very common. theirs nothing quit like getting passed on the right like your standing still, when your in the right lane, and the other 2 lanes are clear (IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/html/emoticons/screwy.gif)
Thank God I have never seen a gun(I'd be on the next plane). But this is a place where getting shot won't even get the cops off their a$$es
+Quote Post
ClayPerrine
post Mar 28 2006, 12:53 PM
Post #36

Life's been good to me so far.....

Group: Admin
Member No.: 1,143
Region Association: NineFourteenerVille

Try North Dallas. Rush hour here is an adventure. You have Rednecks in huge Dually double cab pickups driving like they are Dale Earnhart and this is the last lap of the Daytona 500. Plus, they have shotguns in the gun rack, all loaded up and ready to go. Then you have the soccer moms in the Suburbans, Navigators, or worse the H2s who are not paying attention to anything but the cell phone and the "little darling" in the back seat screaming it's lungs out. You have the rice boys who think that every drive is an excuse to cross 6 lanes of traffic to make their exit. You have the yuppie women putting on makeup or (IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/html/emoticons/pinch.gif) separating their eyelashes with a safety pin. (IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/html/emoticons/pinch.gif)

Then, during the winter, throw in an icy road...... Mass carnage.....

But I have to say, the 405 in LA has it beat. I did that road at rush hour one time. NEVER AGAIN!! I will drive to Kansas City to go around the 405.

+Quote Post
Elliot_Cannon
post Mar 28 2006, 01:27 PM
Post #37

Group: Retired Members
Member No.: 480

You've all described driving all over the world. It's all the same just about where ever you go. Living is more intense nowadays and the increase in the number of cars on the road has far outpaced the building of roads, mass stransit and other infrastructure. If you find yourself in the Peoples Republic of China remember one thing. Pedestrians have NO rights.
Cheers, Elliot
+Quote Post
Randal
post Mar 28 2006, 02:49 PM
Post #38

Advanced Member

Member No.: 750

Try North Dallas. Rush hour here is an adventure

If you take any 100 drivers in Dallas and compare them to 100 drivers in the bay area, the Dallas drivers are going to be better. I'm not kidding.

Last December when I was in Dallas I couldn't believe how good the drivers were on the freeway, i.e., people weren't crazy nuts - like out here.
+Quote Post
Steve Thacker
post Mar 28 2006, 03:02 PM
Post #39

UMMMPH Yea Baby Yea ! UMMMPH

Member No.: 113
Region Association: Upper MidWest

QUOTE (Randal @ Mar 27 2006, 09:23 PM)
We have the worst drivers on the planet.

I have never been anywhere, including all of Asia, where they drive as bad.

You can complain about the LA traffic, but up here we have the traffic and nutty crazy drivers as well.

It is just getting real dangerous.

No signaling
No lane discipline
No courtesy
Drivers following to close
Drivers absolutely unaware of what is going on – talking on the cell phone, driving with one hand
Speeding up when you’re trying to merge
Drivers making stupid moves that leave you stunned
Drivers using their car as a weapon
Road rage and I mean serious road rage

Am I going crazy or are the Bay Area roads as bad as I think and getting worse? (IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/html/emoticons/wacko.gif)

I used to think this was just a Ohio brand of driving you discribed.
Now I'm convinced this is the new normal mode of driving anywhere in the US.
+Quote Post
MartyYeoman
post Mar 28 2006, 03:29 PM
Post #40

Member No.: 839

A couple of years ago, I left the Bay Area for a three week road tip to Yellowstone/Glaser parks.
Literally, the minute I hit Highway 80 on the return trip I was yelling "ASSHOLE" at somebody.
It seemed strange somehow. I guess I had fallen out of practice or something.

When merging I always remember a friend's quote . "Aim for the most expensive car."
+Quote Post

3 Pages V < 1 2 3 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 3rd May 2024 - 07:42 AM