Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

3 Pages V < 1 2 3  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> OT:rediculous, IT people
Hawktel
post Mar 30 2006, 08:39 AM
Post #41

Group: Members
Member No.: 506

I thought he was refering to Victory?
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
anthony
post Mar 30 2006, 11:45 AM
Post #42

2270 club

Group: Benefactors
Member No.: 218

QUOTE (bd1308 @ Mar 28 2006, 08:38 AM)
QUOTE (ArtechnikA @ Mar 28 2006, 08:05 AM)
QUOTE (bd1308 @ Mar 28 2006, 09:52 AM)
...makes me wonder why I never get the good jobs.....

maybe they go to people who can spell "ridiculous" ?

hey its early. shouldnt there be some time where one can make spelling errors?

b

Personally I don't see how it's ever ok to write anything with your name attached to it that has typos. I'm not saying everybody is perfect. I make typos occasionally on the forum and when I notice I go back and correct them.

Consider your audience. You are posting on a public forum with 5,000 potential readers. One of these guys could be your next boss or could be a connection to a job some day. When you present yourself in public, do it in the best possible way you can.

To an IT manager who is doing hiring uncorrected typos say a few things:

The applicant just can't read or write well.

or

The applicant just didn't give a crap and was too lazy to lookup some words he didn't know how to spell.

+Quote Post
bd1308
post Mar 30 2006, 11:57 AM
Post #43

Sir Post-a-lot

Member No.: 3,501

Wait man....On an application I make *DAMNED* sure I don't mispell one word. On here, I feel that this is a more "laid-back" forum where people can talk...and I'm usually busy doing many things at once while I am posting. But if anyone here makes a definitive and absolute impression solely by the lack of "fixing 'typos'", then I don't need to be working for someone like that anyway. Not to mention that my employer should be gathering data about me from this forum anyway.

come on man.

b

b
+Quote Post
Steve Thacker
post Mar 30 2006, 12:01 PM
Post #44

UMMMPH Yea Baby Yea ! UMMMPH

Member No.: 113
Region Association: Upper MidWest

QUOTE (bd1308 @ Mar 30 2006, 01:57 PM)
Wait man....On an application I make *DAMNED* sure I don't mispell one word. On here, I feel that this is a more "laid-back" forum where people can talk...and I'm usually busy doing many things at once while I am posting. But if anyone here makes a definitive and absolute impression solely by the lack of "fixing 'typos'", then I don't need to be working for someone like that anyway. Not to mention that my employer should be gathering data about me from this forum anyway.

come on man.

b

b

Atta boy, take a swat back at them. Shows grit. You will need grit to get through the days at work.
+Quote Post
Part Pricer
post Mar 30 2006, 12:03 PM
Post #45

Believe everything I post

Group: Benefactors
Member No.: 35

Not to mention that my employer should be gathering data about me from this forum anyway.

come on man.

You had better think twice.

Last year, I was on a job interview. Towards the end, they started asking me questions about my Porsche 914, my involvement with Autocross and other things.

Google is a powerful thing.

Britt Dodd on Google
+Quote Post
bd1308
post Mar 30 2006, 12:13 PM
Post #46

Sir Post-a-lot

Member No.: 3,501

Yes Google is powerful, but references are even more powerful. There have been good points made here, but I think its been taken a bit too far.

And usually when I mis-type something, I get some undesired attention from a secret admirer (IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/html/emoticons/biggrin.gif)

Thanks for the replies, but I feel like the number of replies and the wealth of information has been reached.

All I am saying is that I don't always use perfect American standard english during daily life, and I am just trying to be as honest and real as I can with my "virtual presence."

Google is powerful--Qarl pulled a school yearbook picture from my all-male Catholic High school. That was just simply mindboggling.

b
+Quote Post
turboman808
post Mar 30 2006, 01:12 PM
Post #47

Advanced Member

Member No.: 5,505
Region Association: North East States

You might be surprised what some of these IT people doing the hiring will find out about you and bring up. I had one guy give me a hard time on a third interview because 2 weeks earlier I had a typo on an email.

I must say interviewing for IT positions has got to be the worst interviews I have ever had to do. I've had people talk down to me like I was dirt. I've had them give me Full MCSE test that took hours to finish. Really amazing the hoops they put you thru. On more then one I have said "You know I don't think I would want to work under you" and walked out(polietly of course). Also when you are new and you got a room full of people drilling you it can be a bit overwhelming. Heck I have answered things wrong that I know dam good and well the answer to.
+Quote Post
terrymason
post Mar 30 2006, 01:47 PM
Post #48

Member No.: 5,174

I've been doing Full time IT for about 9 years and I love it. I go home and play on the computer all the time - usually messing around with new technologies. I'm more likely to buy a cisco router than a playstation.

Don't let people tell you that work is not fun, or is awful. Those people are simply in the wrong job.

+Quote Post
sherman1
post Mar 30 2006, 02:07 PM
Post #49

Team McLaren

Member No.: 5,697

Britt Dodd on Google

Whoa, Big Brother is definately watching... (IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/html/emoticons/blink.gif)

I didn't realize there were IT guys in Orwell's "1984".
+Quote Post
914werke
post Mar 30 2006, 02:29 PM
Post #50

"I got blisters on me fingers"

Member No.: 453
Region Association: Pacific Northwest

QUOTE (jim912928 @ Mar 29 2006, 04:44 AM)
IT can be a great career...just depends on your ambition. I've been in it for 30 years (started working in the college computing center my freshmen year back in 75). Today I'm the CIO of THE only real motorcycle company in the world (hmmm..wonder which one that is? lol). I've done applications, infrastructure, security etc. Get experience in all areas and that grooms you for the top job!

Technology is getting more complicated with everything and everybody being connected. Real high demand skills are network engineers (nic to nic people...lan, wan, voice...converged networking), security engineers (not admins..the ones that can build security solutions and can probe like the best hackers), and enterprise architects. Those are all fun disciplines also.

If you ever want to chat about what management looks for, someone who has run the gauntlet of IT jobs, and is passionate about what they do give me a pm and I'll be happy to spend some time talking about it.

Jim

(IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/html/emoticons/idea.gif) Hmmm where do I start, on one hand Jim Im really very interested in hearing the inside of what goes on at the IT shop at HD, on the other hand, where do you get the EGO? "THE only real motorcycle company in the world" (IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/html/emoticons/WTF.gif) (IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/html/emoticons/lol2.gif) (IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/html/emoticons/barf.gif)
Not to HiJack Britt (IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/html/emoticons/hijacked.gif) but referancing HD and technology in the same paraghraph (as it relates to thier products) is laughable, you should look to the big (Japanese) 4 for inovation and technology, evan Ducati before HD (IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/html/emoticons/screwy.gif)
+Quote Post
jim912928
post Apr 1 2006, 11:55 AM
Post #51

Member No.: 1,536
Region Association: Upper MidWest

Rich...well..I'm proud of where I work...not an ego thing just pride. I'd have to argue the point on technology. Don't compare the look (which we spend alot of time to keep timeless) with technology. Hmmm...the motorcycle industry at large has bragged about the superior innovation of the revolution engine (go see v-rod...water cooled v-twin with a torque curve others strive for). Engine was developed with a joint venture endeavor with Porsche.

So, if I offended anybody with my sly humor I apologize...I'm as passionate about the HD brand as I am about the Porsche brand...don't cofuse my passion with ego. For those that actually know me understand that.

b...offer still stands if you want to chat about what an IT exec looks for in new hires/college grads.

Jim
+Quote Post
alpha434
post Apr 1 2006, 01:41 PM
Post #52

My member number is no coincidence.

Member No.: 5,280
Region Association: Rocky Mountains

QUOTE (Part Pricer @ Mar 30 2006, 11:03 AM)
Not to mention that my employer should be gathering data about me from this forum anyway.

come on man.

You had better think twice.

Last year, I was on a job interview. Towards the end, they started asking me questions about my Porsche 914, my involvement with Autocross and other things.

Britt Dodd on Google

It's all about the name. Google me... "Chris Logan"

Results 69,800 for "chris logan". (0.12 seconds)

I stir up more shit on the internet than I thought... (IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/html/emoticons/av-943.gif)
+Quote Post

3 Pages V < 1 2 3
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 17th May 2024 - 04:08 PM