Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

327 Pages V « < 276 277 278 279 280 > »   
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> teener tuesday puget sound teeners, or whats going on in the pnw
bradtho
post Sep 25 2017, 08:11 PM
Post #5541

Group: Members
Member No.: 11,165
Region Association: None

I haven't yet made it official, but I'm going to let the car go. I just can't see buying the car back, putting more money in it to bring it back, and then completing the 6 conversion I was about to do, only to have the car be worth less than now due to carrying a salvage title.

Now before you jump to "Agreed Value Insurance" I haven't been able to find anyone to cover me with it for a daily driver. well, Chubb did agree, but they wanted $4500/year which is outrageous.

I was OK being upside down in the car, but hadn't really put much thought into the accident or stolen scenario. these things would discourage me from using it which is the whole point, so my next car will be a normally valued car. I'm currently thinking of getting an 80's carrera and keeping it stock.
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
bradtho
post Oct 8 2017, 02:35 PM
Post #5542

it's final, they towed the car away this week. I'm not sure where it's headed, but could be quite a nice win for someone at auction. 20k on rebuilt 1.7, weidmann restored 15x7 fuchs, raised spindle 911 front struts with alfa brembo's. too much hassle for me, time to move on.

Anyway, I'm working through my parts stash and have a growing pile of stuff that I'd give away free to anyone local. Like any good parts hoarder, some is complete crap and I'll just throw away if no one is interested but some is good stuff that's just not worth the hassle to pack and ship.

I've got another stack of good value parts that I'll list on the classified forum, but would be happy to give a local discount if anyone here is interested in anything.
+Quote Post
sixnotfour
post Oct 8 2017, 02:39 PM
Post #5543

914 Wizard

Member No.: 2,744
Region Association: Rocky Mountains

I am Very Sad for you Brad,,, On the other hand a Carrera with a G50 trans is an awesome Porsche..
I have a 1987 great 911

most likely it will show up on coparts website
+Quote Post
TC 914-8
post Oct 14 2017, 09:19 PM
Post #5544

Member No.: 9,090
Region Association: Pacific Northwest

Hey Brad, sorry to hear about your misfortune, good luck on your next adventure. Hope to see you back in the family again soon.
+Quote Post
rjames
post Oct 30 2017, 12:48 PM
Post #5545

I'm made of metal

Member No.: 4,467

QUOTE(bradtho @ Oct 8 2017, 01:35 PM) *

it's final, they towed the car away this week. I'm not sure where it's headed, but could be quite a nice win for someone at auction. 20k on rebuilt 1.7, weidmann restored 15x7 fuchs, raised spindle 911 front struts with alfa brembo's. too much hassle for me, time to move on.

Anyway, I'm working through my parts stash and have a growing pile of stuff that I'd give away free to anyone local. Like any good parts hoarder, some is complete crap and I'll just throw away if no one is interested but some is good stuff that's just not worth the hassle to pack and ship.

I've got another stack of good value parts that I'll list on the classified forum, but would be happy to give a local discount if anyone here is interested in anything.

Sorry to hear this. If you're able to find out when/where it's being auctioned, please let us know.

+Quote Post
piscean914
post Oct 30 2017, 01:00 PM
Post #5546

Member No.: 1,637

here's the link to the latest alfa club trackday here at pacific raceways - http://www.914world.com/bbs2/index.php?showtopic=318962 - had a great time last time!

Attached Image
+Quote Post
post Oct 30 2017, 01:07 PM
Post #5547

Michael in Seattle

Member No.: 21,495

Hi all -- I'd like to join your community. Back in the 1980s I had a pair of 2.0 914-4s in Arizona. The 75 was crap and I gave it away. The 73 was pretty good, but I left it in Arizona when I first moved to Seattle because everyone in Arizona told me it would just rust away here.

I'm buying a 1970 914 that's been punched out to 2.4 liters and probably still has some kinks. Unfortunately the car is in California, near San Jose, and we haven't decided how to get it up here yet.

I'm going to have a lot of questions for you guys, including who you'd recommend for help getting the dual Dellortos tuned properly.

I've also got a stock 1991 Miata I'd like to keep if I can find a place to park it.

--Michael
+Quote Post
davehg
post Oct 30 2017, 01:47 PM
Post #5548

Member No.: 21,443

Looks like Bradtho's 1.7 went to auction and sold - last I checked it was in the $3.4k neighborhood. When it was below 1k I was eyeing it to grab as a parts car.

https://abetter.bid/en/43154567-1972-porsche-914

I've seen Panel Billy's teener, and it's nice. Lots of good inspiration for my build.

Would love to organize a get together. Local tavern in Fall City is a great place to meet, and I have room at my shop (hint - the road up to my house is quite the drive). I'd like to wait a few weeks until we finish bolting the suspension and steering onto the body so I'd have something to look at.

98101 - can't you do a nice leisurely drive up 101? Weather is till decent for a while. Or are you worried about the reliability?
+Quote Post
post Oct 30 2017, 02:01 PM
Post #5549

Michael in Seattle

QUOTE(davehg @ Oct 30 2017, 12:47 PM) *

98101 - can't you do a nice leisurely drive up 101? Weather is till decent for a while. Or are you worried about the reliability?

Yes, thanks, I'm considering just driving up the coast. One complication is that I have to go overseas Nov 4-11 and my wife doesn't like to be left alone with our small kids so long.
+Quote Post
bradtho
post Oct 30 2017, 02:16 PM
Post #5550

hey, thanks for that Dave. nice to know what's happening to it. would love to know the final price. Looks like it still has the Weidmann finished fuchs on it, so there's an easy $1500+ value in it.
+Quote Post
PanelBilly
post Oct 31 2017, 10:30 AM
Post #5551

914 Guru

Member No.: 6,488

Tonight Julie and I are hosting a Halloween gathering at Kent Station. We got our Rotary club to sponsor part of the trick or treat part and to make it more fun we got the bar at Agave restaurant for our party. Starts at 4:30. Ends at 7:???? We have 3000 prices of candy to hand out and the bar has windows we can lean out of to distribute the goodies. What a great way to spend the holiday. Drinking and handing out candy! Costumes are optional. I think I'll be wearing my superman cape.
+Quote Post
post Oct 31 2017, 06:15 PM
Post #5552

Michael in Seattle

This 1970 2.4 will arrive via truck transporter in Pacific, WA November 14 or 15, just in case you'd like to check it out with me. I'll be seeing it for the first time also. Wise decision? I guess we'll find out.

As noted elsewhere, in the 1980s I had a pair of 2 liter 914s with the stupid single carb setup. Lovely cars, but I always wanted more power. When I saw this dual Dellorto 2.4 for sale my emotions took over. I haven't had a 914 for 25 years. Thought about a Boxster -- even rented one in Arizona.

I'm driving a scratched up 91 Miata now, which I'll keep if I can find a safe place to park it.

So ... who do you recommend for dialing in carburetors? New engine hasn't been on a sniffer or a dyno before. Also it has a racing harness instead of street-legal seatbelts, which may get old quickly.
+Quote Post
bradtho
post Oct 31 2017, 06:25 PM
Post #5553

looks nice and should be fun. I'd probably look for a VW shop with some old guys who can remember working on carbs. there should still be some of them around.
+Quote Post
PanelBilly
post Nov 1 2017, 08:43 AM
Post #5554

914 Guru

Member No.: 6,488

There's a shop in Kent called Franklin's. They can help you
+Quote Post
rhodyguy
post Nov 1 2017, 11:17 AM
Post #5555

Chimp Sanctuary NW. Check it out.

Member No.: 378
Region Association: Galt's Gulch

You'll know if there is an issue with the carbs during the first drive. Snapping back thru the carbs, backfiring, going on it's nose during throttle tip in, etc, will require further investigation. If it runs well don't worry about the carbs.
+Quote Post
post Nov 1 2017, 11:29 AM
Post #5556

Michael in Seattle

QUOTE(PanelBilly @ Nov 1 2017, 07:43 AM) *

There's a shop in Kent called Franklin's. They can help you

Thank you. I've added them to my to-do list.

For what it's worth, I live a bit north of downtown Seattle. Doug Chase (chaserace.com) in Duvall did a good job looking over my Miata last year, but I don't know if he's set up for 914s.

QUOTE(rhodyguy @ Nov 1 2017, 10:17 AM) *

You'll know if there is an issue with the carbs during the first drive. Snapping back thru the carbs, backfiring, going on it's nose during throttle tip in, etc, will require further investigation. If it runs well don't worry about the carbs.

The seller reported a bit of roughness at part throttle, but felt it was smoothing out as the new engine breaks in.

Pretty sure I'll want conventional seatbelts. I'm not geeky enough to drive around Seattle in a racing harness.
+Quote Post
davehg
post Nov 1 2017, 11:45 AM
Post #5557

Congrats, that looks like a good car and if the motor is done right it should have some good scoot.

I’m meeting up today with another PNW teener to check out his conversion, then headed to SoCal next week to drive my other 3.2 conversion for a few days. I thought about driving or trailering it back but it has no side windows, heat/defroster, and would probably sit most of the winter. So leaving it in SoCal is a better proposition.

Like 98101, I am curious for the 2.7 project if I need to invest in heat exchangers to power the defroster.
+Quote Post
rhodyguy
post Nov 2 2017, 07:15 AM
Post #5558

Chimp Sanctuary NW. Check it out.

Member No.: 378
Region Association: Galt's Gulch

Shorten your 2.7 heat exchanger hunt. Contact Mb911 about the units he produces.
+Quote Post
davehg
post Nov 2 2017, 11:53 AM
Post #5559

QUOTE(rhodyguy @ Nov 2 2017, 06:15 AM) *

Shorten your 2.7 heat exchanger hunt. Contact Mb911 about the units he produces.

We've been in touch - I bought his nicely made tank and am in the que for his stainless exhaust. The issue for me is his unit vs. no heat exchanger. I am leaning toward "heat" mostly for the defrost capability (because let's be serious - this car will rarely/never see snow/rain, but will see cold crisp days where the window fog may be an issue.

+Quote Post
post Nov 2 2017, 12:04 PM
Post #5560

Michael in Seattle

QUOTE(davehg @ Nov 2 2017, 10:53 AM) *

The issue for me is his unit vs. no heat exchanger. I am leaning toward "heat" mostly for the defrost capability (because let's be serious - this car will rarely/never see snow/rain, but will see cold crisp days where the window fog may be an issue.

Sorry if this is a dumb question: has anyone investigated electric heat for our mild winters? I used to see ads for this in the 1980s VW/Porsche magazines.

My wife used to wear an electric jacket liner on the motorcycle. My car also won't have heat exchangers (not possible with the custom exhaust), so I'm wondering if I could just heat the seats and crack the windows to reduce fogging.

Or take the Miata, if I can find a place to park it.

--Michael
+Quote Post

327 Pages V « < 276 277 278 279 280 > » 
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 20th April 2024 - 03:18 AM