Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

3 Pages V < 1 2 3 >  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> tranny drain plug stripped, what to do
bondo
post Apr 4 2006, 05:39 PM
Post #21

Practicing my perpendicular parking

Group: Members
Member No.: 587
Region Association: Central California

It also fills with brass and molybdenum bits which won't stick to the magnet. And being vented, it certainly has the possibility of picking up dirt and moisture. I certainly don't think it needs to be changed often..

I'm sure most of the time you can get by without ever changing it... But I don't see there being no reason to change it for fresh occasionally.

It's worth it to me, for the purposes of ensuring maximum performance and lifespan, to change it every few years. Ya gotta get under there to check the level anyways, might as well get the shimmery glitter bits out, clean off the magnet, and make sure your drain plug doesn't fuse in place. (IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/html/emoticons/smile.gif)

Lets start a synthetic vs. non vs leaks vs syncro effectiveness vs wear argument now.. (IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/html/emoticons/smile.gif)
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
SLITS
post Apr 4 2006, 06:47 PM
Post #22

"This Utah shit is HARSH!"

Group: Benefactors
Member No.: 1,696
Region Association: None

Synthetic leaks out faster........ (IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/html/emoticons/sad.gif)
+Quote Post
drewvw
post Apr 4 2006, 07:52 PM
Post #23

new england car guy

Member No.: 5,630
Region Association: North East States

QUOTE (bondo @ Apr 4 2006, 03:39 PM)
Lets start a synthetic vs. non vs leaks vs syncro effectiveness vs wear argument now.. (IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/html/emoticons/smile.gif)

or better yet...lets start a debate on whether warming up your car is better than just moderately driving it up after startup. (IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/html/emoticons/biggrin.gif)
+Quote Post
bd1308
post Apr 4 2006, 08:15 PM
Post #24

Sir Post-a-lot

Member No.: 3,501

QUOTE (drewvw @ Apr 4 2006, 07:52 PM)

or better yet...lets start a debate on whether warming up your car is better than just moderately driving it up after startup. (IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/html/emoticons/biggrin.gif)

uh the manual states that a idle warm up isnt necessary...just dont drive the piss out of it till its warm.

me personally, I just drive...I only occasionally drive very wildly.

b
+Quote Post
drewvw
post Apr 4 2006, 08:18 PM
Post #25

new england car guy

Noted. This is an ongoing argument I've had wth my dad for about 10 years now. I've always been an "idler", although I'm not delusional that its any better than any other method.

Maybe its psychological, but I've been pretty lucky with cars over the years so I'm sticking to it (knock on wood!)
+Quote Post
bd1308
post Apr 4 2006, 08:21 PM
Post #26

Sir Post-a-lot

QUOTE (drewvw @ Apr 4 2006, 08:18 PM)
Noted. This is an ongoing argument I've had wth my dad for about 10 years now. I've always been an "idler", although I'm not delusional that its any better than any other method.

Maybe its psychological, but I've been pretty lucky with cars over the years so I'm sticking to it (knock on wood!)

ever watched cars at the traffic lights (long ones), and then the light turns green they pull away and out comes a BIG amount of water out of teh tailpipe.

imagine if that stayed in for ten to fifteen minutes EVERY time for the life of the engine.

Can we say rust?

b
+Quote Post
drewvw
post Apr 4 2006, 08:25 PM
Post #27

new england car guy

Yeah but I've driven old european cars with lots of miles on them my whole life, that only seems to happen to fresh new cars.....
+Quote Post
bd1308
post Apr 4 2006, 08:28 PM
Post #28

Sir Post-a-lot

I recall someone saying it was in the manual...and come to think of it I have a 73 manual. A euro 74 one as well. And I think i read this.

I think overall, its just personal preference. Sure its better to have heat when you need it, and not having to wait till the HE's heat up.

I think we're just splitting hairs here....

b
+Quote Post
TimT
post Apr 4 2006, 08:33 PM
Post #29

retired

Member No.: 313

Why change the oil at all?

the cap'n is correct.....many manufactures of transmissions and rear diffs do not recommend a regular draining and re-filling..

Hmm your both wrong...

Ive taken the liberty of attaching a scan of a Porsche Drivers Manual..This scan is from a manual from an early 70's 911...
and yes the recommended service interval is 6000 miles..

Crustholio.. how you have led your flock astray....

Im aware that the oils we use in our cars now are much improved from the 1970's....

so change your gear oil once a year ;-)

Attached image(s)
Attached Image
+Quote Post
drewvw
post Apr 4 2006, 08:37 PM
Post #30

new england car guy

QUOTE (bd1308 @ Apr 4 2006, 06:28 PM)
I think we're just splitting hairs here....

b

probably true. I need something to chat about while I watch the red sox get spanked by the rangers....

TimT, nice pull there with the chart
+Quote Post
Tobra
post Apr 4 2006, 08:55 PM
Post #31

Member No.: 4,634

Why on Earth would you sell an S2K? I want one, can you get one in supersonic blue, always liked that color.

So, where is the flaw in the idea to JB Weld it on? I could even put the tool I have in there, have another drain plug handy already. If it fails, would probably just pump it out, bro has one of them, before I would drill it out, I would be afraid of doing something bad.
+Quote Post
drewvw
post Apr 4 2006, 09:07 PM
Post #32

new england car guy

QUOTE (Tobra @ Apr 4 2006, 06:55 PM)
Why on Earth would you sell an S2K? I want one, can you get one in supersonic blue, always liked that color.

So, where is the flaw in the idea to JB Weld it on? I could even put the tool I have in there, have another drain plug handy already. If it fails, would probably just pump it out, bro has one of them, before I would drill it out, I would be afraid of doing something bad.

I didn't WANT to sell the S2K, I had too....long story ending in compromise in the form of a 914. Just going with the flow, loved that car...

I am planning on giving the JB weld plan a careful try in the future.
+Quote Post
Tobra
post Apr 4 2006, 09:10 PM
Post #33

Member No.: 4,634

Too bad, I want one of those when the integra dies, if it ever dies I should say
+Quote Post
drewvw
post Apr 4 2006, 09:14 PM
Post #34

new england car guy

it was time...I had it for 3 years and started recieving signs (is that what running from the cops is?) that I should probably downgrade while I live in the city.

the 9000 rpm redline was too much fun....
+Quote Post
Porcharu
post Apr 4 2006, 11:52 PM
Post #35

Member No.: 3,518
Region Association: Northern California

QUOTE (drewvw @ Apr 4 2006, 05:52 PM)

No religious discussions on the 914non-club.com! (IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/html/emoticons/biggrin.gif)
+Quote Post
racunniff
post Jan 7 2008, 08:30 PM
Post #36

volt914

Member No.: 6,705
Region Association: Rocky Mountains

I ran into this problem - but it was the *fill* plug that would not budge. Fortunately, I followed the sage advice of not opening the drain plug until I had the fill plug out. I tried all sorts of things - heat (both hot air gun as well as a torch), a chisel, sticking a bit of metal in with the drain plug removal tool, cursing, beating my head against the tranny, etc. What finally worked was similar to the "17mm Allen wrench" trick. Unfortunately, nobody around here seemed to carry such an item. However, M10 nuts/bolts have 17mm heads. So, I welded a bolt to a nut:

Attached Image

This fit nicely in the socket on my breaker bar:

Attached Image

And fit snugly in the drain plug. I started turning... and it *still* would not budge. In fact, with enough pressure, I *broke the weld bead on top of the bolt and the bolt started turning* (IMG:style_emoticons/default/headbang.gif) Probably because of oils on the bolt that I had not bothered to clean off.

What finally worked was when I filled in the space between the nut head and the bolt with welding beads. Effectively, I built a 17mm Allen wrench (IMG:style_emoticons/default/blink.gif) . It looks like (IMG:style_emoticons/default/barf.gif) but it did the trick. Once I got the drain plug out, I welded the bolt to it to avoid a repeat until I can get a replacement filler hole plug:

Attached Image

I'm on the hunt for a real 17mm Allen socket. Does anybody know why the genius who designed the plug remover gave it *round corners*? (IMG:style_emoticons/default/chair.gif)
+Quote Post
Danny_Ocean
post Jan 7 2008, 08:50 PM
Post #37

Member No.: 7,846
Region Association: South East States

Can you drill out the plug with a slightly smaller drill-bit (17mm), then (carefully) chisel away the remaining threads? How about hitting it with a reverse drill-bit?
+Quote Post
racunniff
post Jan 7 2008, 08:52 PM
Post #38

volt914

Member No.: 6,705
Region Association: Rocky Mountains

QUOTE(Danny_Ocean @ Jan 7 2008, 07:50 PM) *

Can you drill out the plug with a slightly smaller drill-bit (17mm), then (carefully) chisel away the remaining threads? How about hitting it with a reverse drill-bit?

I think drilling the whole thing out is asking for metal flakes in your tranny. A reverse drill-bit is a good idea - I bought a large screw extractor as my backup plan - but I did not have to go there. The bolt trick worked just fine.
+Quote Post
Dr Evil
post Jan 7 2008, 11:05 PM
Post #39

Send me your transmission!

Member No.: 1,372
Region Association: MidAtlantic Region

I may have a spare plug for ya. You can get a 17mm allen socket attachment at Auto Zone for like $5 in a set. Also, craftsman makes a real sturdy one.
+Quote Post
PeeGreen 914
post Jan 7 2008, 11:08 PM
Post #40

Just when you think you're done...wait, there is more..lol

Member No.: 6,884
Region Association: Pacific Northwest

QUOTE(Dr Evil @ Jan 7 2008, 09:05 PM) *

I may have a spare plug for ya. You can get a 17mm allen socket attachment at Auto Zone for like $5 in a set. Also, craftsman makes a real sturdy one.

So does Snap-on (IMG:style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif)
+Quote Post

3 Pages V < 1 2 3 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 25th April 2024 - 03:18 AM