Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Looking for a good permanent wire labeling product, But it has to be cheap!
bondo
post Apr 8 2006, 02:37 PM
Post #1

Practicing my perpendicular parking

Group: Members
Member No.: 587
Region Association: Central California

I'm doing a whole bunch of custom wiring on my LT1 conversion, and I want to label some of the individual wires that won't be grouped into connectors (like all the gauge wires behind the getty dash). Since some will be factory, and some will be custom, I won't really be able to refer to a wiring diagram unless I make one.

I've seen some products, but many of them are just clips with numbers, no good without a wiring diagram. For temporary purposes I often just make a flag of masking tape and write the wire function on it, but those eventually fall off or become unradable, and aren't very tidy.

Does anyone here know of a non-bulky, inexpensive wire label that has enough space on it to permanantly mark the wire function? 10 characters of small ballpoint text space would be enough.. maybe something like half the size of the signature spot on the back of a credit card.

Good tape would also work, but it'd have to be long lasting and stay readable. My experience with tapes are that durable ones won't hold ink (rubs off) and ones that hold ink dry up and fall off, or tear too easily. I do have one of those p-touch labelers, but man that'd be tedious!
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
TimT
post Apr 8 2006, 03:04 PM
Post #2

retired

Member No.: 313

printout the names of the circuits, or names of the wires i.e. "Tach" on some a sheet of paper, then get clear shrink tubing, cut the little labels you have made, and heat shrink them to the wires.

You can adjust the font size to get the labels the size you want
+Quote Post
bondo
post Apr 8 2006, 04:32 PM
Post #3

QUOTE (TimT @ Apr 8 2006, 02:04 PM)
printout the names of the circuits, or names of the wires i.e. "Tach" on some a sheet of paper, then get clear shrink tubing, cut the little labels you have made, and heat shrink them to the wires.

You can adjust the font size to get the labels the size you want

Neat idea! One problem though.. it requres being able to get heatshrink on there.. That only requires foresight on the custom stuff but it'd require cutting the wires to label anything that's factory. (like the rear taillight wires)
+Quote Post
Tobra
post Apr 8 2006, 05:06 PM
Post #4

Member No.: 4,634

Take clear packing tape, write info on Post-it or whatever have you, wrap tape around wire, capturing label between ends of tape, making a laminated flag of sorts.
+Quote Post
TimT
post Apr 8 2006, 05:10 PM
Post #5

retired

Ive forgotten which size, but there is a size of heat shrink that can fit over a spade connector..and still shrink tight to the wire.

You can take apart the connectors and slip the heat shrink over the spade connector, then reassemble the connector

+Quote Post
shaggy
post Apr 8 2006, 05:12 PM
Post #6

mechanic/welder/fabricator

Member No.: 4,869
Region Association: None

what size wires?

for alarm stuff you typically just write on it w/ a sharpie
you'd be surprised how well it can be read too

-shag
+Quote Post
shaggy
post Apr 8 2006, 05:30 PM
Post #7

mechanic/welder/fabricator

Member No.: 4,869

there is also this brady labeling machine that we use for fancy stuff.

it prints lables in about a 12pt bold black font on 1 1/4''sq. white cloth tags that have an adhesive on the backs. they stick really well to wires, but im not sure they would if there were in an oily enviroment.

if the desired text was to take up only one line the machine can print that evenly spaced on the tag about 7 times in a row (vertically).

if you are interested p.m. me with a list of tags youd like made and they can be printed and sent to you.

-shag
+Quote Post
Rand
post Apr 8 2006, 05:31 PM
Post #8

Cross Member

Member No.: 3,573

I have a handheld Brother P-Touch Labeler that works great.

You can get narrow tape, down to 9/64"
I think it's a thermal printing process, but it's a nice laminated label that won't rub off. Print the code, feed some extra blank, peel off the backing, wrap it around the wire and stick it together... voila. Super hand for all kinds of labeling.

This one is pretty reasonable and handles the narrow labels.
+Quote Post
TimT
post Apr 8 2006, 05:51 PM
Post #9

retired

I forgot I had a harness here in my house that is labeled with the clear heat shrink/ printed label method..

I think it looks clean, I think having those "flag" labels hanging off the end of a wire looks cheezy, and usually the flags get all balled up and are hard to read btdt.

In any event thats how I label my wires, use at your own risk

(IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/html/emoticons/beerchug.gif)

Attached image(s)
Attached Image
+Quote Post
bondo
post Apr 8 2006, 08:22 PM
Post #10

I think TimT wins.. that is super slick looking! I'll have to get a couple different sizes/brands of clear heatshrink and see what works best. I like how they can't get mangled or caught on anything.

Thanks to all!
+Quote Post
Air_Cooled_Nut
post Apr 8 2006, 10:17 PM
Post #11

914 Ronin - 914 owner who lost his 914club.com

Member No.: 584

Masking tape with a FINE POINT permanent marker is what I've used. Readable for non-engine locations inside the cabin. Over several years the tape flag can lose its adhesive qualities and become loose on the wire (slides on it). I stay away from ball point pens, the ink never lasts and they have inconsistant print quality. The flags, IMO, are much easier to read when I'm upside down under a dash than those that TimT uses (I've installed radios and car alarms) and they've never been a mess for me. However, I like TimT's idea because it's cosmetically better...it'll just take a little more effort to read the ones higher up in the bowels of the dash (IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/html/emoticons/blink.gif) I'm gonna have to try that method out when I wire up my friend's NOS system on his race car (IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/html/emoticons/happy11.gif)
+Quote Post
Air_Cooled_Nut
post Apr 8 2006, 10:17 PM
Post #12

914 Ronin - 914 owner who lost his 914club.com

Member No.: 584

QUOTE (bondo @ Apr 8 2006, 06:22 PM)
I think TimT wins.. that is super slick looking! I'll have to get a couple different sizes/brands of clear heatshrink and see what works best. I like how they can't get mangled or caught on anything.

Thanks to all!

Let us know what is successful for you i.e. be detailed (IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/html/emoticons/wink.gif)
+Quote Post
drgchapman
post Apr 16 2006, 09:22 AM
Post #13

Current Stable

Group: NoClassifiedAccess
Member No.: 2,789
Region Association: Pacific Northwest

Thought I'd add one more clarification. The Brady marker is great. It uses several different sizes of tape, prints in either direction for ease of reading, has many font sizes. It can also be dropped many times, from high, and keep on working.

Brady ID PAL-750-439

Attached image(s)
Attached Image
+Quote Post
drgchapman
post Apr 16 2006, 09:24 AM
Post #14

Current Stable

Group: NoClassifiedAccess
Member No.: 2,789
Region Association: Pacific Northwest

Marked wires. You can write as much as you need by just adding another label.

Attached image(s)
Attached Image
+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 15th May 2024 - 01:21 PM