Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

3 Pages V < 1 2 3  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Which Motor?, Porsche Subaru or Mazda
Rand
post Apr 14 2006, 06:25 PM
Post #41

Cross Member

Group: Members
Member No.: 3,573
Region Association: None

QUOTE(zeekman914 @ Apr 13 2006, 11:10 PM) *

I want to be heard BEFORE I'm seen. There is a hill that you hve to go up to get into the upper parking lot by the gym. So going up the hill I want it to be loud and abnoxious BEFORE its seen. THEN I want people to see it and be like "Ooh what's that?"

For the effect you really want, go rotary with no mufflers!!!
But then the problem is they wouldn't be like "Ooh what's that?" They would be more like "who's that moron?!?" Buy hey, the cops would bust you before you had to worry about the smog check.
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
Andyrew
post Apr 14 2006, 06:50 PM
Post #42

Spooling.... Please wait

Member No.: 172
Region Association: Northern California

QUOTE(Rand @ Apr 14 2006, 05:25 PM) *

QUOTE(zeekman914 @ Apr 13 2006, 11:10 PM) *

I want to be heard BEFORE I'm seen. There is a hill that you hve to go up to get into the upper parking lot by the gym. So going up the hill I want it to be loud and abnoxious BEFORE its seen. THEN I want people to see it and be like "Ooh what's that?"

For the effect you really want, go rotary with no mufflers!!!
But then the problem is they wouldn't be like "Ooh what's that?" They would be more like "who's that moron?!?" Buy hey, the cops would bust you before you had to worry about the smog check.

For that, just run glasspacks or magnaflows. It'll be loud enough, not to loud, deep sounding, and not anoying..

Run that on any engine with 2.5in pipes will insure you a nice exhaust sound.
+Quote Post
BKLA
post Apr 14 2006, 06:52 PM
Post #43

Really old member

Member No.: 4,590
Region Association: Pacific Northwest

I understand the subies draw. Horsepower, inexpensive conversion (relatively)...however...

IMHO - there is nothing like a porsche six - sound, smell and yes it can go to Porsche events. I agree with what has been said earlier - if your car is in good shape - keep it original, if you want to modify one - find a cheap roller and build exactly what you want. All any of your proposed changes require is money, money and time. In other words 2/3 money 1/3 time. Ask anyone who has done it themselves - or tried to...

Roller + Subie conversion = one hot AX car and it still sounds (relatively) like a 914 4! (IMG:style_emoticons/default/burnout.gif)

+Quote Post
Rand
post Apr 14 2006, 06:58 PM
Post #44

Cross Member

Member No.: 3,573

I'm with you Andyrew. To me there's a big difference between the healthy rumble that makes you notice with awe, and the "no muffler obnoxious noise" he was talking about.
+Quote Post
Mueller
post Apr 14 2006, 07:12 PM
Post #45

914 Freak!

Member No.: 87

QUOTE(zeekman914 @ Apr 14 2006, 03:53 PM) *

I was also talking with my dad about it and he wanted to know if I thought about a Lexus V8. What do you guys think?

just about all the new motors put out in the last few years are good engines....anything can be done...the biggest question is can YOU do it??? if you don't have a machine shop or have big money to pay someone to do it, then no, YOU cannot do it.....

i suggest you sell the 914, make a profit and buy a Honda, cause you are going to be greatly disappointed in what you can and cannot do with the car (unless you got skills or money or a combo of both)
+Quote Post
JPB
post Apr 14 2006, 07:52 PM
Post #46

The Crimson Rocket smiles in your general direction.

Member No.: 5,107

For my two cents worth, keep it stock or move out of Cali.! You ain't gonna win bro so be wise and have two 914's. It would probably be cheaper to get one partially done the way you want than doing it yourself. Have them both look the same and make some money fooling those rice jobers. As for a REAL conversion with all the attitude of a noisy nonmufller job; go with a Kholer 22hp of shear listen to her rumbel pleasure!!!!

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/bs.gif)
+Quote Post
plymouth37
post Apr 14 2006, 09:40 PM
Post #47

Member No.: 4,138
Region Association: Pacific Northwest

This is not what I have come to expect from a Sooby conversion. While mine is still in the garage getting the final fluff and buff, Dana at Renegade has his on the road, smogged and registered. He used the stock wiring harness that he cut about 90% off and plugged it in. No sensor issues at all, no check engine lights, no pressure sensors on the tank. Not one problem at the DMV getting to pass smog tests, not one. This is really not as difficult as you may think.

Actually, my car is not smog legal at all. in order to be california smog legal(and Las Vegas) a car must have a fully functioning check engine light that is off, mine functions (and is on (IMG:style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif) ). as for being registered my car is,( in wyoming (IMG:style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif) ) you would need to address these and many other issues to make the car smog legal. We just finished off a california smog legal ls1 944 and let me tell you it is one hell of a task! I think that it is possible to make a subie california smog legal and any other engine you may have been looking at, but I would recomend considering a vin swap to a pre-76 vin. believe me that is the easiest( but not legal (IMG:style_emoticons/default/wink.gif) ) way to go.

Dana.
+Quote Post
carreraguy
post Apr 14 2006, 11:25 PM
Post #48

It's not your dad's 914!

Member No.: 1,256

Actually, my car is not smog legal at all. in order to be california smog legal(and Las Vegas) a car must have a fully functioning check engine light that is off, mine functions (and is on (IMG:style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif) ). as for being registered my car is,( in wyoming (IMG:style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif) ) you would need to address these and many other issues to make the car smog legal. I just finished off a california smog legal ls1 944 and let me tell you it is one hell of a task! I think that it is possible to make a subie california smog legal and any other engine you may have been looking at, but I would recomend considering a vin swap to a pre-75 vin. believe me that is the easiest( but not legal (IMG:style_emoticons/default/wink.gif) ) way to go.

In California - Dana means pre-76 not pre-75. Any car 1975 or earlier does not have to pass smog or even be tested for smog.
+Quote Post
zeekman914
post Apr 15 2006, 07:04 PM
Post #49

Member No.: 3,202

I think that I will just sell the car I got and do what you said and look for a pre 1975 car.
+Quote Post
carreraguy
post Apr 15 2006, 07:17 PM
Post #50

It's not your dad's 914!

Member No.: 1,256

QUOTE(zeekman914 @ Apr 15 2006, 06:04 PM) *

I think that I will just sell the car I got and do what you said and look for a pre 1975 car.

FWIW I think you are making the right decision in the long run. I just sold my nice '76 because I wanted more hp but couldn't really mod it and still pass smog and then after weighing all the options, went the Subie conversion route.
+Quote Post

3 Pages V < 1 2 3
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 4th June 2024 - 12:52 PM