Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Rough start to spring, mice?
mikelsr
post Apr 15 2006, 07:15 AM
Post #1

Group: Members
Member No.: 3,390
Region Association: Southwest Region

The temperature has risen to above 60 and what does one want to do? (IMG:style_emoticons/default/driving.gif) their teeners and bikes or so it seems. So I go to start the teener and the battery is dead, time to get the optima I have been wanting to get. Got it, put it in, start it, and I WAS driving it. Turned a corner and then no turn signals, no tach, no brake lights, dash lights, etc. hmmm. Blown fuse. Look around can't find the problem, put a new fuse in and everything works! Take it out for a drive, turn a corner, lost everything again. Blown fuse again. sigh...

Go to start the motorcycle, a couple of cranks and click click. Charge battery, reinstall it, a couple of cranks, click, click. Order a new battery ($65 on the net, $120 locally (like the tweener it needs the poles reversed),get it, put it in, crank, crank, choke, crank crank, starts for a few seconds. crank, crank, starts for a few seconds, crank, crank, starts! Lasts about 10 secs and then stops. Now I notice I don't have any lights and there is a strong odor something is burning. sigh...

They were stored in the same storage unit. I wonder if I had mice as local residents. I didn't see any droppings. Now I have to find the problem in both vehicles by next weekend or they will sit for three to five weeks while I recover from surgery and then they will still need to be fixed. At least the Boxster runs fine - it was in a different unit.

Ever had one of those springs where you wish it was winter again?

I am so mad I could (IMG:style_emoticons/default/blowup.gif)

Mike
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
Allan
post Apr 15 2006, 08:51 AM
Post #2

Teenerless Weenie

Member No.: 2,304
Region Association: Southern California

Rodent damage sucks. You never know where they decided to dine on the wiring so it can make it a real pain to isolate.

My wife went out to one of my companies job site once to do some accounting and after 6 hours went to leave and the cat had no electical at all. One of our techs popped the hood and there was a squirrel still in the engine compartment eating through a complete ribbon cable. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/ar15.gif)
+Quote Post
mikelsr
post Apr 16 2006, 06:28 PM
Post #3

Member No.: 3,390
Region Association: Southwest Region

Yes rodent damage does suck but I don't think that is my problem on the 914. After investigating a bit more I think I have a turn signal flasher problem. Here is what I found:

I replaced the fuse, turned on the left turn signal and it just blinked as normal. I turned on the right turn signal, heard a buzzing noise and then the fuse blew after about 5 seconds. I didn't try this with the emergency flashers because I am getting low on fuses.

From what I understand the relay for the turn signal is incorporated in the emergency flasher switch. Is this correct? Is the relay replaceable or do I need to replace the switch? If so are they available or does anyone have a good one that they want to part with?

Thanks,
Mike
+Quote Post
Chris Pincetich
post Apr 16 2006, 10:21 PM
Post #4

B-)

Member No.: 4,907
Region Association: Northern California

Dirty stinkin lousy rats (IMG:style_emoticons/default/WTF.gif)
This thread inspired me to post the grainy photo I took wiht my phone as I cleaned out what I thought was a few loose paper shavings while investingating the non-op fresh air controls. You can see the amount of crap I pulled out, and there is more left! I still haven;t gotten the chance to pull out the gas tank and get it all out and fixed! I wish I had a Boxter.... (IMG:style_emoticons/default/beerchug.gif)

Attached image(s)
Attached Image
+Quote Post
jsteele22
post Apr 17 2006, 10:28 AM
Post #5

Member No.: 4,653

Years ago I lived in Philly, and couldn't afford to keep a car. So I parked my old Subaru GL at my aunt & uncle's place in Jersey. Went back many months (years ?) later to pick it up. For some reason, I thought I should pop the hood and just look around before cranking. Found a nest w/ 5-6 baby squirrels in it. Still blind. So I decided to leave the car for a month or so more so they'd have a chance to survive. When I came back the squirrels had moved out, I yanked out the nest and drove home. I guess wires just didn't taste as good back then...

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 16th May 2024 - 03:09 AM