Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Rough start to spring
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
mikelsr
The temperature has risen to above 60 and what does one want to do? driving.gif their teeners and bikes or so it seems. So I go to start the teener and the battery is dead, time to get the optima I have been wanting to get. Got it, put it in, start it, and I WAS driving it. Turned a corner and then no turn signals, no tach, no brake lights, dash lights, etc. hmmm. Blown fuse. Look around can't find the problem, put a new fuse in and everything works! Take it out for a drive, turn a corner, lost everything again. Blown fuse again. sigh...

Go to start the motorcycle, a couple of cranks and click click. Charge battery, reinstall it, a couple of cranks, click, click. Order a new battery ($65 on the net, $120 locally (like the tweener it needs the poles reversed),get it, put it in, crank, crank, choke, crank crank, starts for a few seconds. crank, crank, starts for a few seconds, crank, crank, starts! Lasts about 10 secs and then stops. Now I notice I don't have any lights and there is a strong odor something is burning. sigh...

They were stored in the same storage unit. I wonder if I had mice as local residents. I didn't see any droppings. Now I have to find the problem in both vehicles by next weekend or they will sit for three to five weeks while I recover from surgery and then they will still need to be fixed. At least the Boxster runs fine - it was in a different unit.

Ever had one of those springs where you wish it was winter again?

I am so mad I could blowup.gif

Mike
Allan
Rodent damage sucks. You never know where they decided to dine on the wiring so it can make it a real pain to isolate.

My wife went out to one of my companies job site once to do some accounting and after 6 hours went to leave and the cat had no electical at all. One of our techs popped the hood and there was a squirrel still in the engine compartment eating through a complete ribbon cable. ar15.gif
mikelsr
Yes rodent damage does suck but I don't think that is my problem on the 914. After investigating a bit more I think I have a turn signal flasher problem. Here is what I found:

I replaced the fuse, turned on the left turn signal and it just blinked as normal. I turned on the right turn signal, heard a buzzing noise and then the fuse blew after about 5 seconds. I didn't try this with the emergency flashers because I am getting low on fuses.

From what I understand the relay for the turn signal is incorporated in the emergency flasher switch. Is this correct? Is the relay replaceable or do I need to replace the switch? If so are they available or does anyone have a good one that they want to part with?

Thanks,
Mike
Chris Pincetich
Dirty stinkin lousy rats WTF.gif
This thread inspired me to post the grainy photo I took wiht my phone as I cleaned out what I thought was a few loose paper shavings while investingating the non-op fresh air controls. You can see the amount of crap I pulled out, and there is more left! I still haven;t gotten the chance to pull out the gas tank and get it all out and fixed! I wish I had a Boxter.... beerchug.gif
jsteele22

Years ago I lived in Philly, and couldn't afford to keep a car. So I parked my old Subaru GL at my aunt & uncle's place in Jersey. Went back many months (years ?) later to pick it up. For some reason, I thought I should pop the hood and just look around before cranking. Found a nest w/ 5-6 baby squirrels in it. Still blind. So I decided to leave the car for a month or so more so they'd have a chance to survive. When I came back the squirrels had moved out, I yanked out the nest and drove home. I guess wires just didn't taste as good back then...

This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.