Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Putting New Bilsteins in Rear ..., several questions ...
vesnyder
post Apr 17 2006, 02:35 PM
Post #1

Group: Members
Member No.: 3,933

I received my new HD Bilsteins for the rear today and will be installing as soon as I remove the motor - several questions:

1) How do I know if I have the stock springs, or heavier ones? I am assuming stock - they are black.

2) Which notch do I put the spring perch on? At least a starting point? It appears to have ~5-6 notches.
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
DanT
post Apr 17 2006, 02:57 PM
Post #2

Going back to the Dark Side!

Member No.: 2,880
Region Association: None

Most 914 rear springs are black....at least the ones that fit on stock style perches.
As far as knowing if you have stock springs or not currently....
1)When you remove the shock/spring combination from the car, if the shock is fully extended and there is still tension on the spring ( still slighly compressed) then you have stock length springs. If when you remove the shock/spring combination there is slack ( shock is fully extended and spring is easily moved up and down, IE loose) then you have some aftermarket springs. They could be 100#, 140# or 180#.

2) depending on what length springs you have and the ride height you want, will indicate which notch you use on the shock. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smile.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif)
+Quote Post
Mueller
post Apr 17 2006, 03:05 PM
Post #3

914 Freak!

Member No.: 87
Region Association: None

the "free" length of stock spring is I think 18"....that is if it has not been cut, then again, it wouldn't be stock (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smile.gif)

best bet is to remove springs and measure them....the amount of pounds it takes to compress them 1" is what the spring rate is....
+Quote Post
Eric_Shea
post Apr 17 2006, 04:59 PM
Post #4

PMB Performance

Group: Admin
Member No.: 1,110
Region Association: Rocky Mountains

Anything up to 140's will still have a little tension on them in the stock perches.
+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 16th May 2024 - 02:56 AM