Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Putting New Bilsteins in Rear ...
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
vesnyder
I received my new HD Bilsteins for the rear today and will be installing as soon as I remove the motor - several questions:

1) How do I know if I have the stock springs, or heavier ones? I am assuming stock - they are black.

2) Which notch do I put the spring perch on? At least a starting point? It appears to have ~5-6 notches.
DanT
Most 914 rear springs are black....at least the ones that fit on stock style perches.
As far as knowing if you have stock springs or not currently....
1)When you remove the shock/spring combination from the car, if the shock is fully extended and there is still tension on the spring ( still slighly compressed) then you have stock length springs. If when you remove the shock/spring combination there is slack ( shock is fully extended and spring is easily moved up and down, IE loose) then you have some aftermarket springs. They could be 100#, 140# or 180#.

2) depending on what length springs you have and the ride height you want, will indicate which notch you use on the shock. smile.gif biggrin.gif
Mueller
the "free" length of stock spring is I think 18"....that is if it has not been cut, then again, it wouldn't be stock smile.gif

best bet is to remove springs and measure them....the amount of pounds it takes to compress them 1" is what the spring rate is....
Eric_Shea
Anything up to 140's will still have a little tension on them in the stock perches.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.