Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

> Weird power loss, after "spirited" driving
adammtb
post Apr 25 2006, 05:18 PM
Post #1

Group: Members
Member No.: 4,856

Hey guys,

Long time no post...well I've been busy

So I just got back to my folk's place and thought I'ld take the old 914 out for a "diagnostic" test to see how bad my dad abused the car after he got it. Well...most things are great except this weird power loss. After about 30 minutes of driving fairly low key I started to drive a bit more spririted. Five minutes or so into the fun bit the car started to lose power and was barely moving along. I felt like Hans Solo caught in the tractor beam. I had to downshift to keep going but it still was losing speed. I would put the pedal to the floor and the engine would just sound bogged down. It has a brand new 1.8 w/ dual Weber ICT'S and a new Facet fuel pump that makes between 4-7 psi. The gas tank is restored from the radiator shop, and well, I could go on with the work that we did.

The shitty part is the car was doing the same thing before my bro and I restored it and I would have thought that the problem was corrected in all the work we did.

Any thoughts?

Also, if there is anyone in the Western North Carolina area that wants a shop gopher from time to time hit me up...I miss working on 914's.

Adam
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
Replies(1 - 4)
bondo
post Apr 25 2006, 05:30 PM
Post #2

Practicing my perpendicular parking

Member No.: 587
Region Association: Central California

Are the flaps and thermostat system working properly? Could be overheating.
+Quote Post
adammtb
post Apr 25 2006, 05:38 PM
Post #3

Flaps and thermostat...nope...the PO's (3 or 4 of them) in their infinite wisdom removed that stuff. Need to track it down and install.
+Quote Post
Rand
post Apr 25 2006, 05:48 PM
Post #4

Cross Member

Member No.: 3,573
Region Association: None

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/ohmy.gif)

You need a head temp gauge! If it overheated enough to do that, your engine is hurting, especially if your next move was downshifting and putting to the pedal to the floor! I wonder how your valve guides are doing?

Maybe you're lucky and it's a dirty fuel filter... but there's a difference in the way it would feel if it were starving for fuel vs. seizing. Next time, if you suspect there's any chance it could be seizing, clutch in, shut 'er down immediately, and let it cool.
+Quote Post
adammtb
post Apr 25 2006, 06:13 PM
Post #5

Probably not the fuel filter...it is brand new as are the fuel lines, inside of the fuel tank, overhuled carb...etc. Head gauge is a good thought.

This problem also happens when your are just driving normal for about an hour or so (this was before the work) This is a mysterious problem becasue the first time I drove the car I drove it for 5 hours straight with no problems!

The engine compartment also smells a little bit sulfury?
+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 19th May 2024 - 01:43 AM