Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Weird power loss
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
adammtb
Hey guys,

Long time no post...well I've been busy

So I just got back to my folk's place and thought I'ld take the old 914 out for a "diagnostic" test to see how bad my dad abused the car after he got it. Well...most things are great except this weird power loss. After about 30 minutes of driving fairly low key I started to drive a bit more spririted. Five minutes or so into the fun bit the car started to lose power and was barely moving along. I felt like Hans Solo caught in the tractor beam. I had to downshift to keep going but it still was losing speed. I would put the pedal to the floor and the engine would just sound bogged down. It has a brand new 1.8 w/ dual Weber ICT'S and a new Facet fuel pump that makes between 4-7 psi. The gas tank is restored from the radiator shop, and well, I could go on with the work that we did.

The shitty part is the car was doing the same thing before my bro and I restored it and I would have thought that the problem was corrected in all the work we did.

Any thoughts?

Also, if there is anyone in the Western North Carolina area that wants a shop gopher from time to time hit me up...I miss working on 914's.

Adam
bondo
Are the flaps and thermostat system working properly? Could be overheating.
adammtb
Flaps and thermostat...nope...the PO's (3 or 4 of them) in their infinite wisdom removed that stuff. Need to track it down and install.
Rand
ohmy.gif

You need a head temp gauge! If it overheated enough to do that, your engine is hurting, especially if your next move was downshifting and putting to the pedal to the floor! I wonder how your valve guides are doing?

Maybe you're lucky and it's a dirty fuel filter... but there's a difference in the way it would feel if it were starving for fuel vs. seizing. Next time, if you suspect there's any chance it could be seizing, clutch in, shut 'er down immediately, and let it cool.
adammtb
Probably not the fuel filter...it is brand new as are the fuel lines, inside of the fuel tank, overhuled carb...etc. Head gauge is a good thought.

This problem also happens when your are just driving normal for about an hour or so (this was before the work) This is a mysterious problem becasue the first time I drove the car I drove it for 5 hours straight with no problems!

The engine compartment also smells a little bit sulfury?
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.