Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

> A whole(hole) pan, a 1/2 pan, or a pan fraction?
1970 Neun vierzehn
post Apr 30 2006, 03:07 PM
Post #1

Advanced Member

Group: Members
Member No.: 5,727

Friday, the guy who runs a Porsche and air-cooled VW resto shop looks at my '70 /4 and pronounces it v. nice (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smile.gif) . BUT it does have some rust perforations on the pan. The inside floors are solid. I expected (anticipated and kinda wanted) him to say that a whole new floor pan was warranted. He said that except for the affected areas (2 spots about 9" long and maybe 1.5" wide) the rest of the bottom was solid and needn't be replaced. His suggestion was to splice in new metal from repro pan sections, leaving most of the original pan intact. This shop comes recommended by some long time friends who have 356s and early 911s. This place isn't cheap and I've seen his work, and it's nice and thorough.

I'm hoping you won't tell me to do it myself, 'cause after working 10-12 hour days and weekends, there really isn't a whole lot of time(and energy) left to (IMG:style_emoticons/default/sawzall-smiley.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/welder.gif) . After 30+ years with this car, my approach is to throw money at the problem (IMG:style_emoticons/default/rolleyes.gif)

At any rate, whaddaya think? Full pan, or settle for "patchwork"?
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post

Posts in this topic
1970 Neun vierzehn   A whole(hole) pan, a 1/2 pan, or a pan fraction?   Apr 30 2006, 03:07 PM
Sparky   Unless your going the full high dollar restro-rout...   Apr 30 2006, 04:54 PM
Headrage  

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 19th May 2024 - 09:01 AM