Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: A whole(hole) pan, a 1/2 pan, or a pan fraction?
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
1970 Neun vierzehn
Friday, the guy who runs a Porsche and air-cooled VW resto shop looks at my '70 /4 and pronounces it v. nice smile.gif . BUT it does have some rust perforations on the pan. The inside floors are solid. I expected (anticipated and kinda wanted) him to say that a whole new floor pan was warranted. He said that except for the affected areas (2 spots about 9" long and maybe 1.5" wide) the rest of the bottom was solid and needn't be replaced. His suggestion was to splice in new metal from repro pan sections, leaving most of the original pan intact. This shop comes recommended by some long time friends who have 356s and early 911s. This place isn't cheap and I've seen his work, and it's nice and thorough.

I'm hoping you won't tell me to do it myself, 'cause after working 10-12 hour days and weekends, there really isn't a whole lot of time(and energy) left to sawzall-smiley.gif welder.gif . After 30+ years with this car, my approach is to throw money at the problem rolleyes.gif

At any rate, whaddaya think? Full pan, or settle for "patchwork"?
Sparky
Unless your going the full high dollar restro-route then just have them patched.

just my two cents...
Allan
QUOTE(Sparky @ Apr 30 2006, 03:54 PM) *

Unless your going the full high dollar restro-route then just have them patched.

just my two cents...

agree.gif Fix what can be fixed and move on....... beer.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.