Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

3 Pages V < 1 2 3 >  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Wheel came Off!
KaptKaos
post May 4 2006, 02:33 PM
Post #21

Family

Group: Members
Member No.: 607
Region Association: Upper MidWest

I had a Fiat 850 Spider that lost a rear wheel in an intersection. I had just gotten new tires on the rims, and brought them home, installed them and forgot to tighten the rear driver side. I was going slowly, so not too much damage except a mashed oil pan and a slight crease in the rear fender. There was a brief noise and then it was gone. So your son may not have heard it in time to react.

On my 914, my front driver's side was loose. I had driven it to work and was on my way to a customer site and I felt a very pronounced shake. Pulled over and all 4 were loose. Retightened them on the side of the freeway, and it was all good.

I guess with old cars, we need to pay special attention to those kinds of things.

Glad your boy is ok.
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
jhadler
post May 4 2006, 03:15 PM
Post #22

Long term tinkerer...

Member No.: 529

I wonder if there might be something to do with hub centric vs. lug centric mounting. I could immagine that with hub centric mounting, there could be enough static friction at the hub ring that a wheel could stay on fairly stright while the lugs rattled loose and then suddenly let go.

Just a thought...

-Josh2
+Quote Post
SLITS
post May 4 2006, 03:28 PM
Post #23

"This Utah shit is HARSH!"

Group: Benefactors
Member No.: 1,696
Region Association: None

Only the front wheel is hub centric...the rear is as always hell to hang
+Quote Post
jhadler
post May 4 2006, 03:32 PM
Post #24

Long term tinkerer...

Member No.: 529

D'oh, you're right. I started thinking "front" for some reason...

Strange thing is, wheels do fall off. I've seen more than a few, but it's usually old brittish sports cars at a road race or an autox... (IMG:style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif)

Drifiting a little off topic now...

We all know DD's acronym for PORSCHE. Persnickity Old Roadster, Sucks Cash, Helaciously Expensive.

I heard a really good one today for LOTUS. Lots Of Trouble, Usually Serious.

And yes, I've seen more than one Lotus (or would that be Loti) loose a wheel at an autox...

-Josh2
+Quote Post
VaccaRabite
post May 4 2006, 08:22 PM
Post #25

En Garde!

Group: Admin
Member No.: 1,435
Region Association: MidAtlantic Region

I nearly lost the rear drivers side wheel on my Subaru Outback Sport this march after I swapped my snows out for my regular wheels and tires.

I had gone around and made sure all the lugs were tight, for all four wheels. But one of them had obviously loosened up. It was over a week of driving 90 miles a day. One morning, half way though my commute, I noticed a little shimmy. There was a lot of traffic, and crawling down 83 I descided it was probably just poor road surfacing.

Then it got a lot worse, to I switched lanes and pulled over. All 5 lugs were loose, and when I jacked the car up I could wobble the wheel freely. I was lucky, if I had lost my wheel during the monring rush, my life could have started to really suck that day.

As it was, I jacked it up, tightened everything down, and finished my commute without any more issue. But I also check my lugs every so often to make sure they are all tight.

Zach
+Quote Post
dlo914
post May 5 2006, 12:23 AM
Post #26

Whatchu' lookin' at?!?!

Member No.: 2,697

to prevent any future tampering of the lug bolts, you could put some locking lug bolts that require a special socket to remove the bolts, or convert to lug nuts all around and then purchase a set(16) of locking lug nuts. Ive had the rear wheel come off before, but luckily we were traveling at a really low speed and the only things damaged was the rear brake dust shield, a little (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smash.gif) and it was fixed. Just recently i went to get a new set of tires for the rear of my 14' and i wasnt sure if 195/60's would fit in the rear so i had them remove the front tires and install them on the rear to test fit. They fit and after installation i paid and left the place. As i was making the first turn toward home i noticed that one noise from the first loose wheel encounter. I pulled into a parking lot, and wouldnt you know it the guys at the tire shop forgot to tighten the D/S front wheel. Luckily i never go anywhere in the 14' w/out my tool box. Retightened and drove home safely.
+Quote Post
computers4kids
post May 5 2006, 07:52 AM
Post #27

Love these little cars!

Member No.: 4,253

...I can't believe how many "914 wheel falling off" stories everyone has to tell! --makes me want to run out to the garage right now and check all of them for the heck of it.

Here's an idea: Could the lugs have been some of those cheap sets that they sell on ebay all the time? When I had asked the forum earlier when I ran across them, I heard from many members that the ball on the lugs didn't match the seat's geometry very well. Something like this could make you think the lugs are tightly seated but actually not seated well at all, thus prone to backing off??

Either way, I'm glad your son is OK. I'm a teacher and I've seen some unbelievably malicious pranks done to other students at school. If your school doesn't do anthing about it (football team)--don't let it rest there. It wouldn't suprise me for a minute that someone played with the lugs.
+Quote Post
bd1308
post May 5 2006, 08:41 AM
Post #28

Sir Post-a-lot

Member No.: 3,501

I've gotten my pencils and pens stolen off of my desk before in grade school.

some BAD things happened at my school though.

b
+Quote Post
jec914
post May 5 2006, 08:55 AM
Post #29

Member No.: 2,192

Good morning all, and thanks for all of the replies...

Well the lugs are plenty long and no didn't buy them from ebay. They are noticably longer than on my other 914, long enough to go through the fuch and all the way through the hub and then some. I pulled some of the damaged pieces off and will post some pics in a bit.

Seems most of the damage occurred when he spun across 3 lanes and hit the curb a$$ first. Totaled the exhaust, broke the trans mounts, bent up one of the exchangers and even bent the front motor mount on one side.

Here is another question: The trans in this car is great, hate to replace it. Since the rear case is damaged, how hard is it to just swap the rear case from another trans? And can I do this with it still in the car. I looked in one of the manuals I have and it says disassembly starts with removal of the rear case. So what will fall out of I remove it? Or would you recommend I remove the trans to have at it?

Thanks again for all the responses, it seems this may just have been a freak accident.

Thanks,
Jim
+Quote Post
rhodyguy
post May 5 2006, 08:58 AM
Post #30

Chimp Sanctuary NW. Check it out.

Member No.: 378
Region Association: Galt's Gulch

where in the pnw are you located? do you need another heat exchanger?

k
+Quote Post
jec914
post May 5 2006, 09:05 AM
Post #31

K - Richland, WA. 3.5 hours east of Seattle.

I would love to keep this car stock but it will come down to cost. If I pull the exhaust off my other 914 then I will do away with the exchangers. If I find a replacement then I have to purchase a new exhanust.

So not sure which way I will go but please send me an email and tell me how much. O need the left one only as the right seems ok. I have a fedex account so shipping would be easy.

Anyone out there have a trashed trans and want to sell just the back cover with the mounting arms?

Thanks,
Jim
+Quote Post
Matt Meyer
post May 5 2006, 09:26 AM
Post #32

Überlurker

Member No.: 1,411
Region Association: Pacific Northwest

Richland WA. Where the *$%# is that? (IMG:style_emoticons/default/av-943.gif)

No way, it must just be us DA Tri-Citians. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/slap.gif)

I've got to know alot more now, street, school, where you got the car, and I might have some parts for you.

How did the brake caliper fair? I've only got one of those now for 2 cars.

PM and e-mail on the way.

And on the subject, My lug bolts are the stock short ones for the steel rims.

Matt Meyer
Richland WA
+Quote Post
jec914
post May 5 2006, 09:33 AM
Post #33

Here are some pics of damage...Attached Image
+Quote Post
rhodyguy
post May 5 2006, 09:56 AM
Post #34

oh. 75-76 heat exchangers. it's important. a local member spirited triebor sp?(jim young) has a number of those that would do ya fine. i think he has a correct muffer too. i have a hangar you can have for $0, just mailing costs. no point wasting time fixing the bent one did the wheel get all bent up too? pm sent.

k
+Quote Post
jec914
post May 5 2006, 10:06 AM
Post #35

k - Thanks for the email, you have a reply. I just got an email from Matt who might have an Ex for me. (Matt I'll call you shortly). I will take the mount, let me know the mailing cost and I can paypal to you.

Matt - happened as he was leaving Hanford High heading south on GW Way was slowing down to make a right at Spengler. He said he was going about 30 when it came off. He ended up against the curb in the southbound lane right accross from 7/11.

The rim is fine, went tire first into a '93 honda accord, left a big dent in rear quarter. Will probably cost more to repair than the car is worth. No way they can match the faded paint...

Thanks,
Jim

+Quote Post
norustscott
post May 5 2006, 10:16 AM
Post #36

Member No.: 1,163

whoa, wheel in the pictures is not a Fuch...are you sure the shoulder of the lug bolt is a match with the wheel? if mismatched you would be able to tighten, but, because there is a very small contact point it will collapse at the contact point and you have an instantly loose lug bolt....the lugs for the fuchs are different that the Rivieras shown...?
+Quote Post
rhodyguy
post May 5 2006, 10:18 AM
Post #37

NO PAYPAL!! (IMG:style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif) . no offense intended. kind of a running conundrum regarding my parts sales. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/wink.gif)

k
+Quote Post
jec914
post May 5 2006, 10:51 AM
Post #38

Wow, thanks for the clarification on the wheels. Were advertised as fuchs when we bought it and I don't know enough to question the difference. The lugs seem correct for the wheels however. Nice tapered fit like a steel wheel.

Can anyone help with my trans question. If I pull the rear case cover as it sits what will fall out?

Thanks
+Quote Post
914-8
post May 5 2006, 11:02 AM
Post #39

Member No.: 5,461

Well, I think we can now safely rule out an attempted theft of the wheels . . .
+Quote Post
dwillouby
post May 5 2006, 12:02 PM
Post #40

Member No.: 29

Yes, You can replace the end cover in the car. Best thing to do is to do a search for replacing first gear on this site. You will see whats involved. Or search for Red Beards trans rebuild.
David
+Quote Post

3 Pages V < 1 2 3 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 7th June 2024 - 07:43 PM