Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

> Tell us about your track or a/x experience level., Or your goals...
Trekkor
post May 9 2006, 11:28 PM
Post #1

I do things...

Group: Members
Member No.: 1,413
Region Association: Northern California

I started a/x in April of '04.

I've done about 30 of them.

On the big track I have no racing experience and will always keep it that way.
I really enjoy HPDE ( High Performance Driver Education or just DE ).

Done about 10 of those and have a full season planned ahead.

I plan on doing one or two a/x's and one DE each month through November.

KT
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
Replies
jhadler
post May 10 2006, 12:02 PM
Post #2

Long term tinkerer...

Group: Members
Member No.: 529

Started autoxing in the early 90's back in the SF Bay Area. Had a VW GTI that I was pretty proud of, and was cruising the VeeDub bulletin boards (in the early days of the internet), and asked the obligitory question of "how do I make my car go faster?". I got the obvious resposnes from the vocal majority..." Oh dude, you got to buy this bolt-on thing and that bolt-on thing, and this... and that..." and oh brother! Okay, so I did buy some of that stuff, but just some nice shocks for starters. Then there was a quiet minority who said "the best way to make your car faster is to make the driver better.". Hmm, that sounded pretty sage to me. So I asked some more questions about where and how and who and all that.

I wound up going to my first SCCA autox at Candlestick Park (and I don't care how long it's been, it still IS and always WILL BE Candlestick Park to me). I told 'em I was new to this and asked who I should talk to. They pointed me in the direction of one of the veteran drivers (Charlie Davis, for anyone who knows him), and he sortof walked me through the day. What to do, etc. I went on my first run by myself, and thought "hey, I'm doin' pretty good." I figured I was doing well, and leaving a little in reserve. Then I went for a passenger ride with Charlie, in a STOCK Honda Civic. And HOLY COW!!! Not only was he going Sooo much faster than I had, he was NARRATING the entire time!! I had a white knuckle grip and an ear-to-ear grin that wasn't leaving my face for a month. I was HOOKED!!

After that, it was a steady progression of autox after autox. And after a little while I went and bought more doodads for my GTi, and loved it! Then I proceeded to _roll_ it at an autox. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/headbang.gif) Cr*p! Oh well, one door closes, another opens. A friend of mine had just bought a '69 911E, and was trying to persuade me to get a Porsche. And another local autoxer was trying to convince me to build a CSP 914. Well, I bit. I searched for a few months before I found a nice, relatively rust-free '74 914, and then it was off to Automotion for more doodads.

Many years of autoxing, and many track events, DE's, and TT's later, I'm still hooked and having fun! Driving, instructing, and stewarding are all tons of fun still!

Yup. They say you never forget your first time..........

Now, if I can just get my car running again!!!

-Josh2
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post

Posts in this topic
trekkor   Tell us about your track or a/x experience level.   May 9 2006, 11:28 PM
SandyI   Did my first POC Drivers School at Streets of Will...   May 10 2006, 10:30 AM
Joe Ricard   Owned a Porsche of one sort or another for 15 yrs....   May 10 2006, 10:52 AM
michealangelo   Owned a Porsche of one sort or another for 15 yrs...   Apr 29 2017, 12:56 AM
jhadler   Started autoxing in the early 90's back in the...   May 10 2006, 12:02 PM
nebreitling  

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 9th May 2024 - 08:19 PM