Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

3 Pages V < 1 2 3  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Tell us about your track or a/x experience level., Or your goals...
bulitt
post Aug 7 2013, 06:54 PM
Post #41

Achtzylinder

Group: Members
Member No.: 13,632
Region Association: South East States

My racing career started in French Class in College in 1973. Faced with the realization that I Sucko in Frenchy I strategized I would need to balance my gradepoints with a class I could ace. Being a business major and all the easy stuff behind me, I signed up for Welding.

They taught us how to weld, 2 hrs a day, 5 days a week. We had to weld up a project as sort of a final exam. I elected to weld up a cage for my 1973 toyota corolla which was already lowered, sprung, twin webers, headers, high compression pistons, cam etc. My strategy worked, barely passing French and getting an A in Welding. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/welder.gif)

So in summer of 1974 I started running track days at Nelson Ledges outside of Cleveland. Ran some DE's, joined the SCCA, ran some autox. Sucked at the autox.

Graduated, went to work, sold my car, got married, moved 14 times, had two kids.
Saved for homes, college, retirement.

In the late 90's ran several DE's at Lime Rock.

Retired, moved to NC, ran a DE at VIR.

Gonna do some more DE's when I get this car finished.
Je ne suis pas presse. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/laugh.gif)
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
LowBridge
post Aug 21 2015, 06:29 AM
Post #42

Member No.: 19,045
Region Association: North East States

I started racing in the mid 80's in open wheel along with working for a number of racing schools wrenching for seat time with my longest run working for SBRS working a swing crew between FL and WI.

turned pro in the late 80's running Barber Saab and Formula Atlantic and ending my career in 95 running BGN.

I have tested all kinds of stupid fast cars including a GTP car in 91/92 and that thing was light speed fast.

post racing I have been rising my family and just now getting back into working on cars as a hobby with my youngest son restoring my 914 from high school.

I'm already thing about the next car (IMG:style_emoticons/default/driving.gif) and have my son signed up for his first PCA DE in late September (IMG:style_emoticons/default/piratenanner.gif)
+Quote Post
mlindner
post Aug 21 2016, 05:58 AM
Post #43

Member No.: 13,770
Region Association: Upper MidWest

I started auto-xing 52 years ago......Still doing it today. Lots of wins, lots of fun.. lots of great people.. and many years of DE's, Road America, Black Hawk, Sebring, Mont Trenblant. Started with a MG Midget, Saabs, BMW 2002, Porsche 914, Porsche 928, Porsche 98 Carrera S (993), Porsche Cayman S and yes back to the 914 (914-6 GT tribute). Best, Mark
+Quote Post
michealangelo
post Apr 29 2017, 12:56 AM
Post #44

Member No.: 21,054
Region Association: Africa

QUOTE(Joe Ricard @ May 10 2006, 05:52 PM) *

Owned a Porsche of one sort or another for 15 yrs.
started Autocrossing 2 years ago. in that time I have gone through 3 sets of tires each progresively getting more agressive. Now on 4th set which is the ultimate sticky slick.
Started in C street prepared and quickly got bumped to Street Mod 2 for engine modifications.
Rules changes in 2006 have put me in X Prepared Very fast SCCA class. I am under prepped and just strive to someday win PAX or get TTOD when the heavy hitters are playing.
Plan on attending SOLO Nationals in Topeka. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/beerchug.gif)

Waoh....you have really got a nice experience in racing...
But what brought out your interest in racing and are you the only racer in the family.
+Quote Post
michealangelo
post Apr 29 2017, 01:10 AM
Post #45

Member No.: 21,054
Region Association: Africa

QUOTE(LowBridge @ Aug 21 2015, 01:29 PM) *

I started racing in the mid 80's in open wheel along with working for a number of racing schools wrenching for seat time with my longest run working for SBRS working a swing crew between FL and WI.

turned pro in the late 80's running Barber Saab and Formula Atlantic and ending my career in 95 running BGN.

I have tested all kinds of stupid fast cars including a GTP car in 91/92 and that thing was light speed fast.

post racing I have been rising my family and just now getting back into working on cars as a hobby with my youngest son restoring my 914 from high school.

I'm already thing about the next car (IMG:style_emoticons/default/driving.gif) and have my son signed up for his first PCA DE in late September (IMG:style_emoticons/default/piratenanner.gif)

Wow,love your story, especially when you initiated your sons to love automobiles, wish my dad was like that too. But when was the peak of your racing career and also advice to other racing enthusiast out there.
+Quote Post
Charles Freeborn
post Nov 27 2022, 08:54 PM
Post #46

Member No.: 17,377
Region Association: Pacific Northwest

Dunno why I never replied here.. but here goes.
I started DE driving in '13 or '14 in my 911, which I had finally gotten around to rebuilding the front suspension in. I worked my way up through the ranks to advanced, then started coaching (mostly to get cheap or free track time).
After running numbers on converting my 911 ('74 Targa) to a track car I found that for the cost of a 911 engine rebuild I could buy a whole 914 race car already built.

In '19 I joined a team for an 8 hr endurance race running on a provisional license. We placed 3rd after having one of our team drop out so I drove 2 90 minute stints (burn a full tank of gas) in an E46 BMW. At that point I was hooked. I now hold a full comp SCCA license and am on my 2nd 914 track car. First one I got all the way to ready with a logbook but then found a car better suited to our local sanctioning bodies so sold it and am planning on having the new one on track this season. It just takes money....
The old car:
Attached Image

Attached Image

New one is still apart. Pics when it's together.
+Quote Post

3 Pages V < 1 2 3
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 26th April 2024 - 10:01 AM