Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Center of gravity for my 914, I measured it... anyone else?
groot
post May 20 2006, 01:46 PM
Post #1

Dis member

Group: Members
Member No.: 1,444

I've been told the Cg for a 914 is around 16", but this seems high to me, since the pwertrain is so low in the vehicle. I finally got around to measuring it, albeit, somewhat inaccurately.

So, I borrowed some scales, weighed the car, raised one end 10" and weighed it again. This moved 20 pounds.... So, by my crude calculations and crude measurement that puts my Cg at 9.6 inches.

Consisdering how low I run the car, seems pretty close to me. The middle of the engine sits at abou 10 inches.

Has anyone else measured their Cg???? I'd like to get some confidence in my numbers.
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
J P Stein
post May 21 2006, 07:14 PM
Post #2

Irrelevant old fart

Member No.: 45
Region Association: None

How are you calculating that?
The race car calculation book is checked out of the library this week. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif)
+Quote Post
groot
post May 22 2006, 05:20 AM
Post #3

Dis member

Just a bit of vector geometry.... but Longacre has a quick and dirty version in their instructions that come with their scales.

The accuracy goes up with the height you raise the one end, but I had trouble getting it 10" high.
+Quote Post
Brett W
post Jul 7 2006, 02:07 AM
Post #4

Advanced Member

Member No.: 1,169

is this with you in the car? I feel it would change if you are in the car. The 16 inches does seem high, but that was from you know who.
+Quote Post
Borderline
post Jul 8 2006, 08:39 PM
Post #5

Member No.: 3,577
Region Association: Northern California

I haven't gotten around to doing it yet, but thanks for the opportunity to study the math. I think I would need the before and after weights to be more accurate. Assuming a 2000# car with 1000# front and rear to begin with and ending with 1020 rear and 980 front that would shift the cg back about .86". The car raised 10' in the front creates a 5.95 degree angle. My calculator says the cg is about 8.25" above ground level. It's been a long time and right now I'm not sure if the original location of the cg is important. I always thought the cg was pretty close to the centerline of the wheels and and engine. give me the raw data and i'll give it another try (IMG:style_emoticons/default/confused24.gif)
+Quote Post
groot
post Jul 10 2006, 06:36 AM
Post #6

Dis member

Me in the car... I don't have the numbers here, but the math does work out.
+Quote Post
Brett W
post Jul 12 2006, 01:53 AM
Post #7

Advanced Member

The majority of the weight in a production car will be in the crank case and tranny. You can't get the engine any lower than the axle centerlines so that right there will put the a lot of the weight up high.

Now with you in teh drivers seat and a full tank of gas that will alter the CG slightly, but I doubt it is enough to over come the 200lbs at the axle centerline. If I had a complete car I would put it on the lift and measure it, but all of my cars are in different states of dis-assembly.
+Quote Post
groot
post Jul 12 2006, 11:32 AM
Post #8

Dis member

I hear ya, Brett, and I agree with you. A good portion of the powertrain is below the axle and the axles sit at 11.25" from the ground. My 200 pound ass sits about 4 or 5" off the ground as does the fuel tank.

From these rough measurements, 10" seems in the ballpark.
+Quote Post
Brett W
post Jul 12 2006, 03:11 PM
Post #9

Advanced Member

Good point. I forget you are running a 22.5in tall tire. DOH, yeah the axle centerline is not where it used to be. Your numbers actually sound very reasonable now.
+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
2 User(s) are reading this topic (2 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 3rd May 2024 - 11:05 AM