Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Center of gravity for my 914
914World.com > The 914 Forums > The Paddock
groot
I've been told the Cg for a 914 is around 16", but this seems high to me, since the pwertrain is so low in the vehicle. I finally got around to measuring it, albeit, somewhat inaccurately.

So, I borrowed some scales, weighed the car, raised one end 10" and weighed it again. This moved 20 pounds.... So, by my crude calculations and crude measurement that puts my Cg at 9.6 inches.

Consisdering how low I run the car, seems pretty close to me. The middle of the engine sits at abou 10 inches.

Has anyone else measured their Cg???? I'd like to get some confidence in my numbers.
J P Stein
How are you calculating that?
The race car calculation book is checked out of the library this week. biggrin.gif
groot
Just a bit of vector geometry.... but Longacre has a quick and dirty version in their instructions that come with their scales.

The accuracy goes up with the height you raise the one end, but I had trouble getting it 10" high.
Brett W
is this with you in the car? I feel it would change if you are in the car. The 16 inches does seem high, but that was from you know who.
Borderline
I haven't gotten around to doing it yet, but thanks for the opportunity to study the math. I think I would need the before and after weights to be more accurate. Assuming a 2000# car with 1000# front and rear to begin with and ending with 1020 rear and 980 front that would shift the cg back about .86". The car raised 10' in the front creates a 5.95 degree angle. My calculator says the cg is about 8.25" above ground level. It's been a long time and right now I'm not sure if the original location of the cg is important. I always thought the cg was pretty close to the centerline of the wheels and and engine. give me the raw data and i'll give it another try confused24.gif
groot
Me in the car... I don't have the numbers here, but the math does work out.
Brett W
The majority of the weight in a production car will be in the crank case and tranny. You can't get the engine any lower than the axle centerlines so that right there will put the a lot of the weight up high.

Now with you in teh drivers seat and a full tank of gas that will alter the CG slightly, but I doubt it is enough to over come the 200lbs at the axle centerline. If I had a complete car I would put it on the lift and measure it, but all of my cars are in different states of dis-assembly.
groot
I hear ya, Brett, and I agree with you. A good portion of the powertrain is below the axle and the axles sit at 11.25" from the ground. My 200 pound ass sits about 4 or 5" off the ground as does the fuel tank.

From these rough measurements, 10" seems in the ballpark.
Brett W
Good point. I forget you are running a 22.5in tall tire. DOH, yeah the axle centerline is not where it used to be. Your numbers actually sound very reasonable now.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.