Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

> Model Specific Information

914/4: 70 71 72 73 74 75 76 914/6: 70 71 72

3 Pages V < 1 2 3 >  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> 1976 914 Zone 1 winner, original owner, 26K original miles
sixerdon
post May 29 2006, 06:54 AM
Post #21

Group: Members
Member No.: 731

So you are saying that the cloth covered gas lines are still available? Do you mind telling us where? I've been looking for years from all my sources and I've been told each time they are not available because of safety reasons. Many owners of 911/356/914 have substituted cloth covered vacuum lines for gas lines. Not a good thing.

Don
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
smg914
post May 29 2006, 10:31 AM
Post #22

Sahara Beige Steve

Member No.: 1,695
Region Association: None

I purchased mine from Auto Atlanta.
GN203592 - 9mm fuel line
GN203571 - 7mm fuel line
GN02411916 - the correct clamps
I did replace the injector elbows with the updated version.
G043133387 - injector elbow
+Quote Post
914runnow
post May 29 2006, 11:32 AM
Post #23

Member No.: 1,948

QUOTE(smg914 @ May 29 2006, 08:31 AM) *

I purchased mine from Auto Atlanta.
GN203592 - 9mm fuel line
GN203571 - 7mm fuel line
GN02411916 - the correct clamps
I did replace the injector elbows with the updated version.
G043133387 - injector elbow

Yes George does have a supply of that......Still??Age would be my question..
Vacumm great...Fuel?? You cannot get a production date on the cloth fuel line..
It has usually faded.....But if it is concour only...Just keep an eye on it..
Porsche part # for the high pressure (double wall) injection line is
N 020 281 1...5/20/96 from Reno warehouse..
Current # is still the same from the other two USA warehouses from Porsche...
They are the smooth rubber coat (black)...the 96 with red print that reads..
6 31 94 VRT VW TL 522 55E 7x3 K DK
The most current piece I ordered was about two months ago from Stoddards,
it reads 5 36 03 VRT VW TL 52255E KDK and was embossed in the rubber..
So over 10 years, the design (mfr) has not changed...Just the print..
It is sold in meters only and was 28.00 for the one meter piece....
The 'BMW' line of the same sold by parts warehouses...When you can find it..
Is 8 to 9 dollars per foot......
When it comes down to the concour aspect of things...IF YAH CAN SHOW DAH
JUDGES ITZ A BONAFIDE PORSHE 914 PART....THEN NO PROB!!
Just be prepared to shell out more than it is worth re the part you order....

+Quote Post
Jasfsmith
post May 29 2006, 12:46 PM
Post #24

Member No.: 2,882
Region Association: North East States

QUOTE(914runnow @ May 24 2006, 11:07 PM) *

Wow!!! Gorgeous!!! Drool Drool......
What is the wire that is going across the top
of the psngr fender well?? In the front trunk??

"The brown 2 strand wire is for a PA speaker I had mounted under the fender that was attached to a CB radio (remember those?). The CB radio had an option to use it as a public address system. Hey, I was 24 years old and I thought it would be "cool" to yell at people while I'm driving. You live and you learn.

The CB radio is long gone, the PA speaker likewise, I just haven't gotten around to removing the wire. There is also a slide mount under the dash that is still there. All of these additions were installed with the idea they could be removed with virtually no visible signs of alterations from original.

Dave"

Sounds plausible. I personally think it is a feed to a set of musical horns stashed under the front valance. <grin>
+Quote Post
914runnow
post May 29 2006, 12:59 PM
Post #25

Member No.: 1,948

QUOTE(Jasfsmith @ May 29 2006, 10:46 AM) *

QUOTE(914runnow @ May 24 2006, 11:07 PM) *

Wow!!! Gorgeous!!! Drool Drool......
What is the wire that is going across the top
of the psngr fender well?? In the front trunk??

"The brown 2 strand wire is for a PA speaker I had mounted under the fender that was attached to a CB radio (remember those?). The CB radio had an option to use it as a public address system. Hey, I was 24 years old and I thought it would be "cool" to yell at people while I'm driving. You live and you learn.

The CB radio is long gone, the PA speaker likewise, I just haven't gotten around to removing the wire. There is also a slide mount under the dash that is still there. All of these additions were installed with the idea they could be removed with virtually no visible signs of alterations from original.

Dave"

Sounds plausible. I personally think it is a feed to a set of musical horns stashed under the front valance. <grin>

Kooooool!! Nice to know the car has a personal touch or two to it !!
OR had it ..STILL a WONDERFULL CAR!!!! (IMG:style_emoticons/default/clap56.gif)
+Quote Post
dcheek
post May 30 2006, 04:22 PM
Post #26

Member No.: 6,103

I've just joined the 914 Club and this is my first post in the Forum.

First I would like to thank Jim Smith (Jasfsmith) for e mailing me to let me know that some fellow 14er's have posted my car on the Concours Forum. Thank's to all we have paid so many complements. It's that kind of positive reinforcement that has made me keep this car since I bought it new over 30 years ago. When somebody asks me why or how I could keep a 914 so long, I give the same answer "Nobody would give me enough money to buy a new 911 to replace it". While this is partly true, I still enjoy this car for its completely unique body style, air cooled engine and ooh.... the handling. Of course I don't have to explain the virtues of the 914 to the club members; why else would you be here?

In any event I would like to clarify some of the information posted thus far:

-The car has 23800 miles. It is 1976 last production run with every factory option. I bought it new in December of 1975 for $9100.

-Fuchs alloys were delivered on the car. I made the dealer swap them for the Mahles. At the time I thought the Fuchs looked too flat to me. Remember this was the "Chrome Reverse", Minilite, Cragar Wheel era. I just thought the Fuchs looked a little cheap . With age you get wiser. I've seen the light with the Fuchs and took two years to garner a set of 5 NOS Fuchs from Ebay and through the Porsche Club. I even found a spare with the original Continental that has never hit the ground!

-All the tubing and hoses are original. I never took the car in for the fuel line recall. My experiences with the Porsche Dealers back then were not the best. It seemed I would bring car for service to fix one thing and they would screw up 2 more. Since the car wasn't a daily driver, and only gets wet when I wash it (with engine lid covered), or caught in the rain, I figured I shouldn't have any problems. At this point knowing the hazards of 30 years old fuel lines I usually trailer the car to events that are any distance and carry 2 Halon fire extinguishers. I will address all hose issues when I replace the oil contaminated slipping clutch which is probably due to the inactivity drying up the rear main seal.

-It's too early to tell if I'm going to the 2007 Zone One Concours in RI next year. I've been to most of the 27 events thus far so the chances are pretty good I will bring the car.

-My score for this years event was 298.3

-Yes it is fair to serve your concours competitors all the Heineken they want. They have the option to "just say no". LOL.

-My 911 is a 1989 Grand Prix white Carrera Coupe with Burgundy leather interior. It has 3400 miles on it. I also have a 61, 65, 66 VW Bugs and a 66 Westfalia Camper. They are all original paint low mileage cars. Thats the only way I buy 'em. I did one resto, or should I say I abandoned one restoration in my lifetime. Never again.

-I am in the process of negotiating the purchase of a 70 914 -6 from a fellow long time Porsche Club member who is a Porsche mechanic by trade. Green with Tan interior. I think he's owned the car for over 30 years. I will keep those interested on my progress.

-The brown 2 strand wire on the passenger fender is for a PA speaker I had mounted under the fender that was attached to a CB radio (remember those?). The CB radio had an option to use it as a public address system. Hey, I was 24 years old and I thought it would be "cool" to yell at people while I'm driving. You live and you learn. The CB radio is long gone, the PA speaker likewise, I just haven't gotten around to removing the wire. There is also a slide mount under the dash that is still there. All of these additions were installed with the idea they could be removed with virtually no visible signs of alterations from original.

Hope this reply has helped clear some things up. I would be happy to answer any other question you may have. I look forward to an enjoyable tenure in the 914 Club. And thanks for all your kind words.

Regards,
David Cheek
+Quote Post
mstein95
post May 30 2006, 04:58 PM
Post #27

Back when grey Levi's were the rage.

Member No.: 5,959
Region Association: Pacific Northwest

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/welcome.png)
+Quote Post
Pat Garvey
post May 30 2006, 05:54 PM
Post #28

Do I or don't I...........?

Member No.: 5,765

Long ago (mid-80's) bought 30 YARDS of this fuel line from Stoddard. Yep, it's not the best stuff, but if you religously change critical pieces of it every 2-3 years you're OK. Still, in my case, it can fail annually because my stash is 20 years old, so I changed the injector pieces every year.

Figure I'll run out of breath before fuel lines! Beside, I like the warm, "fuzzy" look it gives. Looks classic.
+Quote Post
RustyWa
post May 30 2006, 06:36 PM
Post #29

Working Member

Member No.: 72

QUOTE(dcheek @ May 30 2006, 03:22 PM) *

I would be happy to answer any other question you may have....

Boy, could you like take high resolution pics of every item on your car and post them? (IMG:style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif)

It would be nice to have documentation of "original" cars.
+Quote Post
tod914
post May 30 2006, 06:41 PM
Post #30

Advanced Member

Member No.: 170

Hey Dave! Welcome glad to see you found the club here. Missed you at the Triatholon. Turned out to be a nice day. A few 914's showed up. Most just for the ralley though. Congrads on Zone 1.
+Quote Post
sixerdon
post May 30 2006, 07:31 PM
Post #31

Member No.: 731

Welcome Dave. I hope some day to see your car in real time. I always enjoy talking with original owners to compare notes. Hope you can make it to Newport next year. We'll have some fun. BTW. I may be passing out Warsteiners.

Don
+Quote Post
Jasfsmith
post May 31 2006, 09:02 AM
Post #32

Member No.: 2,882

QUOTE(dcheek @ May 30 2006, 02:22 PM) *

-Yes it is fair to serve your concours competitors all the Heineken they want. They have the option to "just say no". LOL.
-The brown 2 strand wire on the passenger fender is for a PA speaker
Regards,
David Cheek

So you admit that the Heineken was there to get an advantage over your competitors. Guess I'll have to bring the Sam Adams next year. and step the competition up a notch. <grin>

And, I still say the wires run to a set of musical horns.....
+Quote Post
tod914
post May 31 2006, 10:41 AM
Post #33

Advanced Member

Member No.: 170

And, I still say the wires run to a set of musical horns.....

I thought it was to blast out Flight of the Valkeries by Wagner to keep the neighbors in line.
+Quote Post
JeffBowlsby
post May 31 2006, 01:30 PM
Post #34

914 Wiring Harnesses

Member No.: 104

David, Welcome to the 914Club and thanks for sharing your impressive car.

Any chance you or anyone else here, knows a Frank Gallogly in Englewood NJ? I understand Mr. Gallogly may own a very rare 914SL originally imported to Japan. I have attempted to contact him without response.
+Quote Post
dcheek
post Jun 1 2006, 04:54 AM
Post #35

QUOTE(Jeff Bowlsby @ May 31 2006, 11:30 AM) *

David, Welcome to the 914Club and thanks for sharing your impressive car.

Any chance you or anyone else here, knows a Frank Gallogly in Englewood NJ? I understand Mr. Gallogly may own a very rare 914SL originally imported to Japan. I have attempted to contact him without response.

Jeff,
I do not know Frank but I will check with the membership chairman of the Northern NJ Region of the Porsche Club of America to see if he is a member.

Dave
+Quote Post
dcheek
post Jun 1 2006, 04:59 AM
Post #36

QUOTE(RustyWa @ May 30 2006, 04:36 PM) *

Boy, could you like take high resolution pics of every item on your car and post them? (IMG:style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif)

Rusty,
Sandee Weiner, a fellow 914 enthusiast has offered to photograph my car for a dedicated web page. I would assume that she will be taking many detailed pictures for that project. I will be contacting her shortly to set up the photo shoot. When the web page is up and running I will post on the the forum. Thanks for your interest.

Regards,
Dave
+Quote Post
Part Pricer
post Jun 1 2006, 09:31 AM
Post #37

Believe everything I post

Group: Benefactors
Member No.: 35

QUOTE(dcheek @ Jun 1 2006, 06:59 AM) *

Sandee Weiner, a fellow 914 enthusiast has offered to photograph my car for a dedicated web page. I would assume that she will be taking many detailed pictures for that project. I will be contacting her shortly to set up the photo shoot. When the web page is up and running I will post on the the forum. Thanks for your interest.

Dave,

I think that is a great idea to have someone take pictures that shows your car in detail. Unlike the ones that I took that are included in the start of this thread. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smile.gif)

However, I believe that your car, and the story that goes with it, is interesting and compelling enough that a publication such as Excellence might want to do an article on it. I can see the headline now, "Thirty-Year Love Affair with a Bastard Son". (IMG:style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif)

Pete from Excellence hangs out on this site. Perhaps he can pop in and let us know if it is something they may be interested in.

+Quote Post
McMark
post Jun 1 2006, 12:21 PM
Post #38

914 Freak!

Group: Retired Admin
Member No.: 419

The cloth covered fuel line is hard to find? I can get it brand new all day long at three different shops in town. Who wants some?
+Quote Post
914rrr
post Jun 8 2006, 08:25 PM
Post #39

Member No.: 874
Region Association: South East States

QUOTE(McMark @ Jun 1 2006, 10:21 AM) *

The cloth covered fuel line is hard to find? I can get it brand new all day long at three different shops in town. Who wants some?

I wasn't aware they were hard to find. Maybe because I hang around the VW crowd as well. Last VW show I went to (Bugapalooza in TN) must've had 2 or 3 vendors selling the stuff off rolls! I bought a 4 ft. 'remnant' of the FI hose for a couple of bucks and 6 ft. of the vacuum hose for around $15. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/thumb3d.gif)

I may be letting my 'secret' out, but I try to hit every VW swap meet I can. 914 stuff to V Dubbers is near worthless. I scored a NOS MPS, (no box) at Bug Jam for $5. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/shocked[1].gif)

Another tip: an old 356 guy I know ( Ken Dougherty) simulated the colored fabric hoses by using flat model airplane paint.
+Quote Post
Bleyseng
post Jun 17 2006, 12:13 PM
Post #40

Aircooled Baby!

Member No.: 24
Region Association: Pacific Northwest

QUOTE(dcheek @ Jun 1 2006, 03:59 AM) *

QUOTE(RustyWa @ May 30 2006, 04:36 PM) *

Rusty,

Regards,
Dave

I am curious as to the VIN number to see when it was made. If you don't want it Public please PM me with it?
+Quote Post

3 Pages V < 1 2 3 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
2 User(s) are reading this topic (2 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 6th May 2024 - 07:57 AM