Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: 1976 914 Zone 1 winner
914World.com > The 914 Forums > Originality and History
Part Pricer
I was working at the Zone 1 concours this past weekend. I was able to get a few pics of the car that won the 914 class. The owner is out of New Jersey. He bought the car new and has only put roughly 26K miles on it in the last 30 years.

Here are ome pics. BTW, the owner is fully aware that the Mahles are not correct for the year. But, they are what they car was delivered with from the dealer.
Part Pricer
more

Part Pricer
mo

Part Pricer
mo
tod914
Ahhh Dave's car. Absolutely amazing. Words can't describe how nice that car is.
Seen it last year at a local event. He usually shows his 911SC or Carrea, I forgot which model, but it has like 7K on the odometer.
Pat Garvey
smilie_pokal.gif

It's beauty! Right color too, though I may be a little jaded. Thanks for sharing the pic's - wish I could have gone to the event. Who's car is it?
RustyWa
What's the story with the tubing over the cloth fuel lines?

Post more photos if you have them.
TravisNeff
Damn~! That's minty fresh.
sixerdon
Now this is a REAL "purist" car. I would have loved to have seen more details. Maybe if he comes to Newport, RI for next years Zone 1 concours.

I'm also curious about those fuel line covers. OEM?

Don
Jasfsmith
QUOTE(sixerdon @ May 24 2006, 05:14 AM) *

Now this is a REAL "purist" car. I would have loved to have seen more details. Maybe if he comes to Newport, RI for next years Zone 1 concours.

I'm also curious about those fuel line covers. OEM?

Don

The car is Dave Cheeks. Absolutely stock, and exceptionally clean. I can't recall his score, but it must have been a near perfect 300. My 914-6 sat next to his and I was falbergasted to receive a 297.3 score (including 10 points for driving 7 hours to the event plus the rally part of the weekend the day before). Without question the judges were kind to me on my first effort.

I did figure out afterward that one of Dave's winning techniques was to hand out the Heinken to his competitor's while they attempted to prepare. <grin>

Jasfsmith
Here's a pic of both Dave's and my 914-6. Dave is on the right with hat and glasses. He was muddering for some time about one of the judges finding a finger load of dirt in his engine compartment. Even more so after several others volunteered there digits to search for the hidden location of the dirt to no avail.

The judge was more than pleased to show the dirt to Dave with a grin on his face. <grin>

I'm dam glad they judged my car first............
tod914
Your 6 looks fantastic, can you post some more shots of it? Great rims!
914runnow
Wow!!! Gorgeous!!! Drool Drool......
What is the wire that is going across the top
of the psngr fender well?? In the front trunk??
914runnow
"Here are some pics. BTW, the owner is fully aware that the Mahles are not correct for the year. But, they are what they car was delivered with from the dealer."
>Please why is this???Re the wheels??
My 76 Porsche owners manual shows them on the car
and my 1976 German Printed for USA spec cars ,shows
them as an offer too...This is the large full size dealer brochure..
Were they not an option for that year??
Thanx Rx in Denver..
Can you find out the date stamp on the wheels??
smg914
QUOTE(RustyWa @ May 23 2006, 07:19 PM) *

What's the story with the tubing over the cloth fuel lines?

Post more photos if you have them.

The protective tubing covering the fuel lines that cross over the top of the engine are factory original.
JeffBowlsby
The cloth covered fuel lines were replaced by one of the recalls...HO(?), so trying to emulate the pre-recall condition, may not be the best idea, even for a concours car.
Pat Garvey
QUOTE(Jasfsmith @ May 24 2006, 06:10 AM) *

Here's a pic of both Dave's and my 914-6. Dave is on the right with hat and glasses. He was muddering for some time about one of the judges finding a finger load of dirt in his engine compartment. Even more so after several others volunteered there digits to search for the hidden location of the dirt to no avail.

The judge was more than pleased to show the dirt to Dave with a grin on his face. <grin>

I'm dam glad they judged my car first............

Gorgeous 914's guys! We're proud of both of you.
Have a friend named Jon Lowe ( I'm sure most of you know him) who has fingers that are AT LEAST 18 inches long! He found dirt on my car that no one human could find when he judged it. But he would always help me clean the spot afterrwards. What a great guy - what a tough judge!
sixerdon
I agree. Pretty scary if they are 30 year old lines. I wonder if he knows?
(Unless he keeps them for concours display)
Don
Jasfsmith
QUOTE(sixerdon @ May 27 2006, 04:29 PM) *

I agree. Pretty scary if they are 30 year old lines. I wonder if he knows?
(Unless he keeps them for concours display)
Don

Dave is aware of the potential problems.

Dave may well chime in sometime soon. I've been telling him that he has a following.
smg914
I guarantee you that the cloth covered fuel lines on David's engine are not the original ones that were installed 30 years ago. He like me replaced the original fuel lines with the new cloth covers lines. I'm not worried about them and I'm sure David isn't either. My car is never exposed to inclimate weather and the engine never gets wet. I cover it with plastic if and when I wash the car. The car is kept in a climate controled garage. And I'm sure I'll replace the cloth covered lines again long before they become a fire hazzard.
sixerdon
So you are saying that the cloth covered gas lines are still available? Do you mind telling us where? I've been looking for years from all my sources and I've been told each time they are not available because of safety reasons. Many owners of 911/356/914 have substituted cloth covered vacuum lines for gas lines. Not a good thing.

Don
smg914
I purchased mine from Auto Atlanta.
GN203592 - 9mm fuel line
GN203571 - 7mm fuel line
GN02411916 - the correct clamps
I did replace the injector elbows with the updated version.
G043133387 - injector elbow
914runnow
QUOTE(smg914 @ May 29 2006, 08:31 AM) *

I purchased mine from Auto Atlanta.
GN203592 - 9mm fuel line
GN203571 - 7mm fuel line
GN02411916 - the correct clamps
I did replace the injector elbows with the updated version.
G043133387 - injector elbow

Yes George does have a supply of that......Still??Age would be my question..
Vacumm great...Fuel?? You cannot get a production date on the cloth fuel line..
It has usually faded.....But if it is concour only...Just keep an eye on it..
Porsche part # for the high pressure (double wall) injection line is
N 020 281 1...5/20/96 from Reno warehouse..
Current # is still the same from the other two USA warehouses from Porsche...
They are the smooth rubber coat (black)...the 96 with red print that reads..
6 31 94 VRT VW TL 522 55E 7x3 K DK
The most current piece I ordered was about two months ago from Stoddards,
it reads 5 36 03 VRT VW TL 52255E KDK and was embossed in the rubber..
So over 10 years, the design (mfr) has not changed...Just the print..
It is sold in meters only and was 28.00 for the one meter piece....
The 'BMW' line of the same sold by parts warehouses...When you can find it..
Is 8 to 9 dollars per foot......
When it comes down to the concour aspect of things...IF YAH CAN SHOW DAH
JUDGES ITZ A BONAFIDE PORSHE 914 PART....THEN NO PROB!!
Just be prepared to shell out more than it is worth re the part you order....

Jasfsmith
QUOTE(914runnow @ May 24 2006, 11:07 PM) *

"The brown 2 strand wire is for a PA speaker I had mounted under the fender that was attached to a CB radio (remember those?). The CB radio had an option to use it as a public address system. Hey, I was 24 years old and I thought it would be "cool" to yell at people while I'm driving. You live and you learn.

The CB radio is long gone, the PA speaker likewise, I just haven't gotten around to removing the wire. There is also a slide mount under the dash that is still there. All of these additions were installed with the idea they could be removed with virtually no visible signs of alterations from original.

Dave"

Sounds plausible. I personally think it is a feed to a set of musical horns stashed under the front valance. <grin>
914runnow
QUOTE(Jasfsmith @ May 29 2006, 10:46 AM) *

QUOTE(914runnow @ May 24 2006, 11:07 PM) *

"The brown 2 strand wire is for a PA speaker I had mounted under the fender that was attached to a CB radio (remember those?). The CB radio had an option to use it as a public address system. Hey, I was 24 years old and I thought it would be "cool" to yell at people while I'm driving. You live and you learn.

The CB radio is long gone, the PA speaker likewise, I just haven't gotten around to removing the wire. There is also a slide mount under the dash that is still there. All of these additions were installed with the idea they could be removed with virtually no visible signs of alterations from original.

Dave"

Sounds plausible. I personally think it is a feed to a set of musical horns stashed under the front valance. <grin>

Kooooool!! Nice to know the car has a personal touch or two to it !!
OR had it ..STILL a WONDERFULL CAR!!!! clap56.gif
dcheek
I've just joined the 914 Club and this is my first post in the Forum.

First I would like to thank Jim Smith (Jasfsmith) for e mailing me to let me know that some fellow 14er's have posted my car on the Concours Forum. Thank's to all we have paid so many complements. It's that kind of positive reinforcement that has made me keep this car since I bought it new over 30 years ago. When somebody asks me why or how I could keep a 914 so long, I give the same answer "Nobody would give me enough money to buy a new 911 to replace it". While this is partly true, I still enjoy this car for its completely unique body style, air cooled engine and ooh.... the handling. Of course I don't have to explain the virtues of the 914 to the club members; why else would you be here?

In any event I would like to clarify some of the information posted thus far:

-The car has 23800 miles. It is 1976 last production run with every factory option. I bought it new in December of 1975 for $9100.

-Fuchs alloys were delivered on the car. I made the dealer swap them for the Mahles. At the time I thought the Fuchs looked too flat to me. Remember this was the "Chrome Reverse", Minilite, Cragar Wheel era. I just thought the Fuchs looked a little cheap . With age you get wiser. I've seen the light with the Fuchs and took two years to garner a set of 5 NOS Fuchs from Ebay and through the Porsche Club. I even found a spare with the original Continental that has never hit the ground!

-All the tubing and hoses are original. I never took the car in for the fuel line recall. My experiences with the Porsche Dealers back then were not the best. It seemed I would bring car for service to fix one thing and they would screw up 2 more. Since the car wasn't a daily driver, and only gets wet when I wash it (with engine lid covered), or caught in the rain, I figured I shouldn't have any problems. At this point knowing the hazards of 30 years old fuel lines I usually trailer the car to events that are any distance and carry 2 Halon fire extinguishers. I will address all hose issues when I replace the oil contaminated slipping clutch which is probably due to the inactivity drying up the rear main seal.

-It's too early to tell if I'm going to the 2007 Zone One Concours in RI next year. I've been to most of the 27 events thus far so the chances are pretty good I will bring the car.

-My score for this years event was 298.3

-Yes it is fair to serve your concours competitors all the Heineken they want. They have the option to "just say no". LOL.

-My 911 is a 1989 Grand Prix white Carrera Coupe with Burgundy leather interior. It has 3400 miles on it. I also have a 61, 65, 66 VW Bugs and a 66 Westfalia Camper. They are all original paint low mileage cars. Thats the only way I buy 'em. I did one resto, or should I say I abandoned one restoration in my lifetime. Never again.

-I am in the process of negotiating the purchase of a 70 914 -6 from a fellow long time Porsche Club member who is a Porsche mechanic by trade. Green with Tan interior. I think he's owned the car for over 30 years. I will keep those interested on my progress.

-The brown 2 strand wire on the passenger fender is for a PA speaker I had mounted under the fender that was attached to a CB radio (remember those?). The CB radio had an option to use it as a public address system. Hey, I was 24 years old and I thought it would be "cool" to yell at people while I'm driving. You live and you learn. The CB radio is long gone, the PA speaker likewise, I just haven't gotten around to removing the wire. There is also a slide mount under the dash that is still there. All of these additions were installed with the idea they could be removed with virtually no visible signs of alterations from original.

Hope this reply has helped clear some things up. I would be happy to answer any other question you may have. I look forward to an enjoyable tenure in the 914 Club. And thanks for all your kind words.

Regards,
David Cheek
mstein95
welcome.png
Pat Garvey
Long ago (mid-80's) bought 30 YARDS of this fuel line from Stoddard. Yep, it's not the best stuff, but if you religously change critical pieces of it every 2-3 years you're OK. Still, in my case, it can fail annually because my stash is 20 years old, so I changed the injector pieces every year.

Figure I'll run out of breath before fuel lines! Beside, I like the warm, "fuzzy" look it gives. Looks classic.
RustyWa
QUOTE(dcheek @ May 30 2006, 03:22 PM) *

I would be happy to answer any other question you may have....

Boy, could you like take high resolution pics of every item on your car and post them? biggrin.gif

It would be nice to have documentation of "original" cars.
tod914
Hey Dave! Welcome glad to see you found the club here. Missed you at the Triatholon. Turned out to be a nice day. A few 914's showed up. Most just for the ralley though. Congrads on Zone 1.
sixerdon
Welcome Dave. I hope some day to see your car in real time. I always enjoy talking with original owners to compare notes. Hope you can make it to Newport next year. We'll have some fun. BTW. I may be passing out Warsteiners.

Don
Jasfsmith
QUOTE(dcheek @ May 30 2006, 02:22 PM) *

-Yes it is fair to serve your concours competitors all the Heineken they want. They have the option to "just say no". LOL.
-The brown 2 strand wire on the passenger fender is for a PA speaker
Regards,
David Cheek

So you admit that the Heineken was there to get an advantage over your competitors. Guess I'll have to bring the Sam Adams next year. and step the competition up a notch. <grin>

And, I still say the wires run to a set of musical horns.....
tod914
And, I still say the wires run to a set of musical horns.....

I thought it was to blast out Flight of the Valkeries by Wagner to keep the neighbors in line.
JeffBowlsby
David, Welcome to the 914Club and thanks for sharing your impressive car.

Any chance you or anyone else here, knows a Frank Gallogly in Englewood NJ? I understand Mr. Gallogly may own a very rare 914SL originally imported to Japan. I have attempted to contact him without response.
dcheek
QUOTE(Jeff Bowlsby @ May 31 2006, 11:30 AM) *

David, Welcome to the 914Club and thanks for sharing your impressive car.

Any chance you or anyone else here, knows a Frank Gallogly in Englewood NJ? I understand Mr. Gallogly may own a very rare 914SL originally imported to Japan. I have attempted to contact him without response.

Jeff,
I do not know Frank but I will check with the membership chairman of the Northern NJ Region of the Porsche Club of America to see if he is a member.

Dave
dcheek
QUOTE(RustyWa @ May 30 2006, 04:36 PM) *

Boy, could you like take high resolution pics of every item on your car and post them? biggrin.gif

Rusty,
Sandee Weiner, a fellow 914 enthusiast has offered to photograph my car for a dedicated web page. I would assume that she will be taking many detailed pictures for that project. I will be contacting her shortly to set up the photo shoot. When the web page is up and running I will post on the the forum. Thanks for your interest.

Regards,
Dave
Part Pricer
QUOTE(dcheek @ Jun 1 2006, 06:59 AM) *

Sandee Weiner, a fellow 914 enthusiast has offered to photograph my car for a dedicated web page. I would assume that she will be taking many detailed pictures for that project. I will be contacting her shortly to set up the photo shoot. When the web page is up and running I will post on the the forum. Thanks for your interest.

Dave,

I think that is a great idea to have someone take pictures that shows your car in detail. Unlike the ones that I took that are included in the start of this thread. smile.gif

However, I believe that your car, and the story that goes with it, is interesting and compelling enough that a publication such as Excellence might want to do an article on it. I can see the headline now, "Thirty-Year Love Affair with a Bastard Son". biggrin.gif

Pete from Excellence hangs out on this site. Perhaps he can pop in and let us know if it is something they may be interested in.

McMark
The cloth covered fuel line is hard to find? I can get it brand new all day long at three different shops in town. Who wants some?
914rrr
QUOTE(McMark @ Jun 1 2006, 10:21 AM) *

The cloth covered fuel line is hard to find? I can get it brand new all day long at three different shops in town. Who wants some?

I wasn't aware they were hard to find. Maybe because I hang around the VW crowd as well. Last VW show I went to (Bugapalooza in TN) must've had 2 or 3 vendors selling the stuff off rolls! I bought a 4 ft. 'remnant' of the FI hose for a couple of bucks and 6 ft. of the vacuum hose for around $15. thumb3d.gif

I may be letting my 'secret' out, but I try to hit every VW swap meet I can. 914 stuff to V Dubbers is near worthless. I scored a NOS MPS, (no box) at Bug Jam for $5. shocked[1].gif

Another tip: an old 356 guy I know ( Ken Dougherty) simulated the colored fabric hoses by using flat model airplane paint.
Bleyseng
QUOTE(dcheek @ Jun 1 2006, 03:59 AM) *

QUOTE(RustyWa @ May 30 2006, 04:36 PM) *

Rusty,

Regards,
Dave

I am curious as to the VIN number to see when it was made. If you don't want it Public please PM me with it?
dcheek
I am curious as to the VIN number to see when it was made. If you don't want it Public please PM me with it?
[/quote]

The VIN number is:

Dave
Bleyseng
Thanks!
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.