Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

2 Pages V  1 2 >  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> V-8 (Renegade style) water pump, BB Chrysler / Edelbrock / no fits
drive-ability
post May 23 2006, 05:10 PM
Post #1

Group: Members
Member No.: 3,782

I called Renegade but haven't herd back yet. Everyone just states a big block Chrysler unit is the correct pump. Well I know there are a few different overall styles so I ordered one from Summit Racing. I got a Edelbrock unit made with a cast impeller. Well it doesn't fit, the depth of the unit is different. My old one is about a 1/4 inch thinner.
specifically , what is the application I need?
All the pumps on Summits site look to fit the same engine combination.
I am looking for one with a cast impeller.

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/shocked[1].gif)
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
Brad Roberts
post May 23 2006, 05:20 PM
Post #2

914 Freak!

Member No.: 8
Region Association: None

You *can* use the Hemi water pump (or 440) but Renegade has theirs made specifically for the water housing. The impeller depth is set specific to the housing. You would have to "modify" a stock pump to make it work.

Set it side by side and take a picture. Post it here.

I say: have your pump rebuilt or bite the bullet and buy it from Renegade if you want to stick with the belt driven pump. I have a friend here in SD with my old V8 914 with electric pump and 930 box. His pump works fine for daily driving. Not sure how long it will last..

B
+Quote Post
drive-ability
post May 23 2006, 06:21 PM
Post #3

QUOTE(Brad Roberts @ May 23 2006, 04:20 PM) *

You *can* use the Hemi water pump (or 440) but Renegade has theirs made specifically for the water housing. The impeller depth is set specific to the housing. You would have to "modify" a stock pump to make it work.

Set it side by side and take a picture. Post it here.

I say: have your pump rebuilt or bite the bullet and buy it from Renegade if you want to stick with the belt driven pump. I have a friend here in SD with my old V8 914 with electric pump and 930 box. His pump works fine for daily driving. Not sure how long it will last..

B

I have the new one repacked for shipping back to Summit but the difference in pumps is the flange is longer along with the overall length of the spinning shaft and impeller. The impeller looks to be taking up more space as well. I want a cast impeller, you can see how I bent this one up. I may have reach 4k before the thermostat opened completely. I know I shouldn't run 4k until the engine is really up to temperature, having said that, I don't think I need my water pump committing suicide to protect the engine. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/wacko.gif)
(IMG:http://members.cox.net/stdotjohn/CIMG1957.jpg.600.jpg)
+Quote Post
Brad Roberts
post May 24 2006, 07:45 PM
Post #4

914 Freak!

Member No.: 8

After grenading my first V8 pump back in 97 or so.. I never ran a t-stat again. Just a restrictor (gutted t-stat) I cant count on friends driving the cars to "wait" for them to warm up.

Typical SBC's have a bypass on the pump for this exact reason.

Good luck.

B
+Quote Post
drive-ability
post May 24 2006, 08:12 PM
Post #5

QUOTE(Brad Roberts @ May 24 2006, 06:45 PM) *

After grenading my first V8 pump back in 97 or so.. I never ran a t-stat again. Just a restrictor (gutted t-stat) I cant count on friends driving the cars to "wait" for them to warm up.

Typical SBC's have a bypass on the pump for this exact reason.

Good luck.

B

B,
This was renegades response to my email, I'm not at all criticizing them but I don't see where they said it's a Chrysler pump. Its ambiguous reference to the impeller is what I am wondering about. Again no criticism it just may be my ignorance to the situation. The part number I found to be good but no picture was available. I sent a message back asking a clarification as to what the reference meant. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/flag.gif)

It is a Chrysler BB 440 water pump impeller...honest. Here is out GMB part number 120-1200. If you have troubles, try another brand or another store. We have them in stock if you would like to get one.
+Quote Post
drive-ability
post May 25 2006, 09:14 PM
Post #6

I don't normally rant about things but it should be essayer to find your first replacement pump for the Renegade housing. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/screwy.gif)

I found the correct fitting water pump however I couldn't get one with a cast impeller. The part number I was given was GMB 120-1200 but there were some complications with that information. I ended up with a Cardone brand pump A55-3114. When the designer/retailer doesn't know the original application for the pump you can run into problems. The parts store guys don't deal with this part every day/month. So after trying 4 pumps and 4 or 5 stores I got one that will fit. I think the people who deal with this everyday fail to understand not knowing all the details makes it a challenge to get the correct part.
Having said this, I just may (IMG:style_emoticons/default/screwy.gif)
+Quote Post
wbergtho
post May 25 2006, 09:42 PM
Post #7

Member No.: 623

Did you consider just simply waltzing into your local NAPA and non chalantly asking if they have a replacement water pump for a Porsche V-8 914? I cannot count the number of times I have been to junkyards or auto parts stores looking for "stuff" and they ask me ...."what year, model, application" ........ You know how it is.. Good luck on the H20 pump.

Bill
+Quote Post
Brett W
post May 25 2006, 09:48 PM
Post #8

Advanced Member

Member No.: 1,169

Why do you want a cast impellar?
+Quote Post
turbo914v8
post May 25 2006, 09:51 PM
Post #9

Member No.: 952

Are my missing something? RH stated that the replacement part that you seek is in stock. Why not just purchase the correct part from RH and be done with it. $80.00 and problem solved????? :confused:
+Quote Post
Andyrew
post May 25 2006, 10:35 PM
Post #10

Spooling.... Please wait

Member No.: 172
Region Association: Northern California

QUOTE(wbergtho @ May 25 2006, 08:42 PM) *

Did you consider just simply waltzing into your local NAPA and non chalantly asking if they have a replacement water pump for a Porsche V-8 914? I cannot count the number of times I have been to junkyards or auto parts stores looking for "stuff" and they ask me ...."what year, model, application" ........ You know how it is.. Good luck on the H20 pump.

Bill

SERIOUSLY..

I was looking for a cherry bomb muffler for a friends truck, My friend asks the guy while I walk away (they were not on display anywere) and as I come back, the guy behind the counter says "sorry, I dont carry that muffler for a 01 ranger"

I give the guy a stern look and ask him if he carries cherry bomb mufflers, he says "I have to look it up" (fin moron cant walk back... and look in his muffler section)

as im glaring at him, I tell him "fine, 73 camaro"

"Oh, yes we have a few cherry bombs, what size inlet"

I lean over the counter, looking at his screen... they dont say glasspack or turbo, so I asked him to show me one
(dumbass could have gone and looked in the first place)

Grabs a turbo cherrybomb, and he's got a dickhead look like he had since I walked up..

Tell him thats not the kind I was looking for... and walked out...

had my friend do a brake stall.. ooohh, I was pissed... (IMG:style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif)

Autozone by the way.. (ps.. 7 FLAPS in my town... none have a cherrybomb.. geez)

GL on the water pump
+Quote Post
drive-ability
post May 25 2006, 11:21 PM
Post #11

QUOTE(Brett W @ May 25 2006, 08:48 PM) *

Why do you want a cast impellar?

The stamped impeller folds up like tin foil if you rev the engine before the "T" stats completely open. The engine wasn't cold It had been driven an hour before. I may have reached 4500 rpm not a big deal to me but the pump didn't think so.

Turbopaul,
I know they have them in stock but there stamped as well. Renegades price is 99.00 and 3 days or so. I never cared about the cost, I wanted a cast impeller so it wouldn't happen again. I spent a few days looking for one that had a cast impeller (bought an Edelbrock unit from summit $120.00 with a cast impeller that didn't fit) once I realized the ones I found wouldn't fit I needed more information.
+Quote Post
Crazyhippy
post May 25 2006, 11:49 PM
Post #12

Insert witty comment here...

Member No.: 4,493

The trouble w/ a cast impeller is they will blow the hoses from the pump to the block apart if the t-stat is closed...

Make sure you get all the blades from the original impeller.

BJH
+Quote Post
drive-ability
post May 26 2006, 12:53 AM
Post #13

QUOTE(Crazyhippy @ May 25 2006, 10:49 PM) *

The trouble w/ a cast impeller is they will blow the hoses from the pump to the block apart if the t-stat is closed...

BJH

I was thinking there is a down side to a hearty impeller as well. I may just run a restricter since its getting warmer in Ca. I did run down the scattered parts.
thanks for the input, the pump is on and works fine.
+Quote Post
turbo914v8
post May 26 2006, 06:30 PM
Post #14

QUOTE(drive-ability @ May 25 2006, 11:53 PM) *

QUOTE(Crazyhippy @ May 25 2006, 10:49 PM) *

BJH

I was thinking there is a down side to a hearty impeller as well. I may just run a restricter since its getting warmer in Ca. I did run down the scattered parts.
thanks for the input, the pump is on and works fine.

So did you end up finding a source for a cast impeller? I am thinking I would like to do the same.
+Quote Post
Brett W
post May 26 2006, 07:50 PM
Post #15

Advanced Member

it sounds to me like there is another problem. I doubt this happens on a stock Hemi.
+Quote Post
elocke
post May 26 2006, 08:17 PM
Post #16

Member No.: 272

"Cardone brand pump A55-3114"
Is this what you used? Plug n play into Renegade housing? Good to have a 2nd source. I try not to cruise over 2K before the temp gets to 140 or so but sometimes rev to 3K before shifting.
Ed
+Quote Post
drive-ability
post May 26 2006, 10:03 PM
Post #17

Paul,
I ended up with a stamped impeller, for now I will go with that.
I do think you could remove the stamped impeller and have a backing plate or some supports added quite easily. There loads of room to tack on a the same type you see on other stamped units. I decided to go without a thermostat and am using a mild restrictor. I don't want to damage another pump or blow off any hoses, I will just keep an eye on the temperature.

Brett,
The Renegade system doesn't have a by-pass as the factory design, so theres no place for the pressure to bleed off.

Ed,
Yes, "Cardone brand pump A55-3114" bolts directly on. I paid $40.00 for it and am getting a spare this weekend.
+Quote Post
drive-ability
post May 26 2006, 10:07 PM
Post #18

QUOTE(wbergtho @ May 25 2006, 08:42 PM) *

Bill

Bill,
I get the same question, you know "year make model".
What can you say? I just tell them its for something I building in my shed (IMG:style_emoticons/default/drunk.gif)
+Quote Post
turbo914v8
post May 26 2006, 10:10 PM
Post #19

Great, thanks for the information
+Quote Post
Brett W
post May 27 2006, 05:50 AM
Post #20

Advanced Member

OK, thanks for the info.
+Quote Post

2 Pages V  1 2 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 18th May 2024 - 06:26 PM