Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

2 Pages V < 1 2  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> V-8 (Renegade style) water pump, BB Chrysler / Edelbrock / no fits
type47fan
post May 27 2006, 10:03 AM
Post #21

It Looks Better In Person. . .

Group: Members
Member No.: 1,170
Region Association: Southern California

After a night of general revelry and moderate alcohol consumption (IMG:style_emoticons/default/beer3.gif) , during the ensuing fitful sleep, I had a dream that one of the club engineer/entrepreneurs mated an electric clutch (read: a/c compressor) to the remote water pump. It activated through a temperature switch that turned on the pump at the opening temperature of the thermostat. . . . can it be done? (IMG:style_emoticons/default/confused24.gif)
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
Sammy
post May 27 2006, 10:58 AM
Post #22

Member No.: 178

I drilled 4 holes (3/16" diameter) in my thermostat, never had a problem even with 5000 rpm shifts when cold.
+Quote Post
drive-ability
post May 27 2006, 01:07 PM
Post #23

Member No.: 3,782

QUOTE(type47fan @ May 27 2006, 09:03 AM) *

After a night of general revelry and moderate alcohol consumption (IMG:style_emoticons/default/beer3.gif) , during the ensuing fitful sleep, I had a dream that one of the club engineer/entrepreneurs mated an electric clutch (read: a/c compressor) to the remote water pump. It activated through a temperature switch that turned on the pump at the opening temperature of the thermostat. . . . can it be done? (IMG:style_emoticons/default/confused24.gif)

I was thinking the same thing, I have been looking at different A/C compressors shapes etc. Mounting the collar which holds the clutch bearing and the added clearance needed is another factor. Some smog pumps have clutches and they are a bit smaller. I would think you could do it but I am not up for that just now. An electric pump may just be the way to go. The pumps are pricey but the replacement motors are reasonable. I think a good pump is around 400 with adapters etc and the replacement motors are 180 or so.
+Quote Post
cali914
post May 30 2006, 10:44 PM
Post #24

cali914

Member No.: 5,934
Region Association: Northern California

You want to make it simple get the Mezeire 55gpm electric remote water pump, and place it on the bottom exit of the radiator and your done. I have had mine for two years no problems. Also I just added the renegade radiator and was at thunder Hill on the track with temps below 180 with a 160 degree thermostat. The whole key to the system is the radiator. Same set up without the radiator last year and I was 210-215 on the track. If you are running it on the street you can even use an electric water pump with 37gpm and it will work fine. Cali 914
+Quote Post
Brad Roberts
post May 31 2006, 09:35 AM
Post #25

914 Freak!

Member No.: 8
Region Association: None

Cali914,

do you have a oil temp gauge and pressue gauge? The last time I ran a well sorted V8 conversion car at Thill.. the oil temps went CRAZY. The water temp was fine. 3-4 laps of running 2:09's spiked the oil temp to over 260deg. Curious if you found this?

Back to the pump:

I got really really tired of blowing off hoses (this was before AndyL figured out we needed the "bead" in the end of the fittings) I HIGHLY suggest everyone stay away from the cast iron impellers. I personally would rather have the failure point be a $40 pump than have to deal with the lines on the front of the engine. The pump is easy to get to compared to those lines.

B
+Quote Post
marks914
post May 31 2006, 09:48 AM
Post #26

Member No.: 2,912

QUOTE(Brad Roberts @ May 31 2006, 07:35 AM) *

Cali914,

do you have a oil temp gauge and pressue gauge? The last time I ran a well sorted V8 conversion car at Thill.. the oil temps went CRAZY. The water temp was fine. 3-4 laps of running 2:09's spiked the oil temp to over 260deg. Curious if you found this?

Back to the pump:

I got really really tired of blowing off hoses (this was before AndyL figured out we needed the "bead" in the end of the fittings) I HIGHLY suggest everyone stay away from the cast iron impellers. I personally would rather have the failure point be a $40 pump than have to deal with the lines on the front of the engine. The pump is easy to get to compared to those lines.

B

I have heard of one guy with oil temp issues, he snapped the crank. I don't have an oil temp gauge, pressure seems fine though.
Has anyone experienceed oil temp probs? I also am not running an oil cooler on my 305 I have put on 25,000 miles since the conversion, no problems yet.
Mark
+Quote Post
Brad Roberts
post May 31 2006, 09:59 AM
Post #27

914 Freak!

From what I have gathered.. 90% of the conversion owners out there do not have a oil temp gauge. As far as pressure goes.. it only went down 20 some odd lbs of pressure when it was REALLY hot. It was still in the 40-50lb range when on the gas.

The track is a extreme "test" of the conversion systems.

I will say this.. all of the late model trucks/cars have oil coolers of some sort built into the cooling system.

B
+Quote Post
aircooledboy
post May 31 2006, 10:29 AM
Post #28

Sweet Pea's 1st ride in daddy's "vroom -vroom"

Member No.: 1,629
Region Association: Upper MidWest

QUOTE(marks914 @ May 31 2006, 10:48 AM) *

I have heard of one guy with oil temp issues, he snapped the crank. I don't have an oil temp gauge, pressure seems fine though.
Has anyone experienceed oil temp probs? I also am not running an oil cooler on my 305 I have put on 25,000 miles since the conversion, no problems yet.
Mark

No, you can't freakin' snap a crank!!!!!!! (IMG:style_emoticons/default/mad.gif)

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/av-943.gif)

Oil temp gauge and cooler are on the short list for this summer. Car has 10,000+ miles and a few medium length trips on it since the rebuild and running like a top, but no 15 hour trips either. I will be very interested to see how oil temps relate to water temps at higher speeds / longer trips.

BTW, on the "blowing water hoses issue", before I plumbed in my heat I was having a problem with pre-stat opening pressure breaking the seal where the Renegade serpentine system plate covered the water pump alignment dowl hole on the 350 block. Once I set up the heat, the core acted as a by-pass until the stat opened up, but then I was getting too much radiant heat in the cabin from my heater core, even with the temp control valve off. So, I made a core by-pass H valve set up with three cut off valves and some barb fittings. When closed, that leaves me with nothing more than a by-pass loop, which solved my warmup temp/ excess pressure issues. Soooo, the point of this rambling story is, if you guys with excess pressure concerns set up a by pass route, you shouldn't have any problems blowing things apart.
+Quote Post
byndbad914
post May 31 2006, 02:41 PM
Post #29

shoehorn and some butter - it fits

Member No.: 5,463

QUOTE(Brad Roberts @ May 31 2006, 08:35 AM) *

Brad, I have both gauges in my car - at Willow last time I had 200-210deg water temps, but the oil was close to 280 at one point and was idling at about 17-20lbs of pressure (idle for me is around 1200rpm) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/blink.gif) While going tube chassis, I am adding a dry sump system and big-ass oil cooler.

That said, Chevrolets of any 283/327/350/400 variety are the shittiest designed engines EVER, and the oiling is just one of them. It is scary how low a stock volume pump will idle once the car is warm, and put a HV pump on and turn some rpm and you will suck a 5qt pan dry on the track. For serious tracking of a 350-style Chevy, you almost have to go dry sump IMO, or put such a huge pan in it that you drag it on the ground in a 914. I would run no less than a HV pump, cooler, and an 8qt if not 9qt pan on a SBC on a road course. I have seen 7qts ran - and did that myself - but 1. I knew I was pushing it, 2. saw it on my temp/press gauges, and 3. intended to upgrade to dry sump when the project was running, tested and ready for more $$ to be dumped into it.

Cali914 - I am with you as I also have the Meziere 55gpm pump!
+Quote Post
Brad Roberts
post May 31 2006, 05:30 PM
Post #30

914 Freak!

I agree. Serious track conversion cars should be dry sumped. I have used the Moroso road racing pan with multiple trap doors/kick outs with NO luck. You are correct about sucking the pan dry and putting all the oil into the valve covers!!

I have followed along with your project. One day I would like to see it in person. I like the direction you are headed. I have been involved with some serious 914's in the past. Yours appears to be heades towards the "serious side"

B

QUOTE(byndbad914 @ May 31 2006, 01:41 PM) *

QUOTE(Brad Roberts @ May 31 2006, 08:35 AM) *

Brad, I have both gauges in my car - at Willow last time I had 200-210deg water temps, but the oil was close to 280 at one point and was idling at about 17-20lbs of pressure (idle for me is around 1200rpm) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/blink.gif) While going tube chassis, I am adding a dry sump system and big-ass oil cooler.

That said, Chevrolets of any 283/327/350/400 variety are the shittiest designed engines EVER, and the oiling is just one of them. It is scary how low a stock volume pump will idle once the car is warm, and put a HV pump on and turn some rpm and you will suck a 5qt pan dry on the track. For serious tracking of a 350-style Chevy, you almost have to go dry sump IMO, or put such a huge pan in it that you drag it on the ground in a 914. I would run no less than a HV pump, cooler, and an 8qt if not 9qt pan on a SBC on a road course. I have seen 7qts ran - and did that myself - but 1. I knew I was pushing it, 2. saw it on my temp/press gauges, and 3. intended to upgrade to dry sump when the project was running, tested and ready for more $$ to be dumped into it.

Cali914 - I am with you as I also have the Meziere 55gpm pump!

+Quote Post
marks914
post May 31 2006, 07:37 PM
Post #31

Member No.: 2,912

owee!

Attached image(s)
Attached Image
+Quote Post

2 Pages V < 1 2
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 9th June 2024 - 02:39 PM