Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

> Ideas please......, '74 2.0 running/starting issue
theman352001
post May 25 2006, 07:59 PM
Post #1

Group: Members
Member No.: 5,750

Hey guys & gals, sorry for the length, would like to be thorough.

Past Status: '74 2.0 was running great 2 years ago. Took it to a gas station to fill up a gas can (no gas was put into the car's tank) and as I was leaving the car died. I tried to start it a couple of times and was able to get it to run but as soon as I would try to give it some gas (not in gear) the car would die. The only thing I noticed differently was that the fuel pump didn't sound right.

Back then I tested the fuel pump for flow and pressure (without car running) and both seemed good. The car would start periodically and idle fine but I could not touch the accelerator without it dying. The pump still didn't sound right however.

Current status: Pulled the '74 pump and rigged up a '75 pump that tested good for flow. '74 pump seems a bit weak on flow. Car will not start at all. I am not even getting any firing.

Plugs are working fine with nice fat sparks. Also, the 2 driver's side injectors are firing a good spray of fuel. (I did not check the passenger side - assuming they are fine)

Next on my list of things to check:
  • Make sure timing hasn't somehow jumped position
  • double check Crane HI-6 ignition system
  • temperature sensor
I am interested in any other thoughts or past experiences from the group. What else should I be checking? Have you had a similar problem and what was the solution?

Thanks in advance.
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post

Posts in this topic

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 19th May 2024 - 03:46 AM