Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

2 Pages V  1 2 >  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> exceptional 72 on ebay
tod914
post May 31 2006, 01:54 PM
Post #1

Advanced Member

Group: Members
Member No.: 170

Just had a long conversation with the owner of this 72 914. Car seems extremely original including the cloth covered fuel lines (yes he's aware they should to be replaced). Exceptionally nice car. Anyone looking for a preservation class candidate, this seems like it would be a nice condender.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/PORSCHE-914...1QQcmdZViewItem

no affiliation with the owner.
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
GWN7
post May 31 2006, 02:31 PM
Post #2

King of Road Trips

Member No.: 56
Region Association: Northstar Region

Nice looking car...It will be interesting to see what it brings
+Quote Post
drewvw
post May 31 2006, 02:39 PM
Post #3

new england car guy

Member No.: 5,630
Region Association: North East States

ditto, i put the watch on that baby.

only kicker is....you buy a sweet original car like that and right away you really have to dig in and replace those fuel lines.
+Quote Post
tod914
post May 31 2006, 05:00 PM
Post #4

Advanced Member

High reserve other wise my white one would of had an older brother.. Im curious to see how high it goes too. After speaking in depth with him, seems like its just a couple of minor things. Fuels lines not big of a deal to replace, windshield wiper blades, and one window squeeqy. A couple minor chips, but aside from that the car sounded really well taken care of. He has the original steel rims too.
+Quote Post
Pat Garvey
post May 31 2006, 07:24 PM
Post #5

Do I or don't I...........?

Member No.: 5,765

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/w00t.gif)

My God, it's a dup of my '72! Except for the jack & seat belts. Does look like a really nice car. Anyone know what the reserve is? Just what I need another red 914, but if I told my wife it was hers.........
+Quote Post
tod914
post May 31 2006, 07:35 PM
Post #6

Advanced Member

Pat or others, what do you think that car is worth?
+Quote Post
Pat Garvey
post May 31 2006, 07:49 PM
Post #7

QUOTE(tod914 @ May 31 2006, 05:35 PM) *

Pat or others, what do you think that car is worth?

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/dry.gif)

Well, if the engine bay is solid & all the usuals in that area aren't a problem on this car, I think it's worth a pretty good buck. IMHO, E-bay is the LAST place to try to sell a car of this type. It's original & it's problems are miniscule, from the sound of things. But what it's worth to some people will sound ridiculous to others.

It's probably worth more to me than to you (no, I'm not bidding), but that's because I have its twin, almost down to the mileage. Remeber, it's not a 2liter, has the sloppy shifter, and seat belts from hell. I'll say one thing, though - it should sell well north of $5k.
+Quote Post
tod914
post May 31 2006, 08:21 PM
Post #8

Advanced Member

would you value it between 10-15k?? for that kind of money i would be more inclined to put a down payment on a 6 or seek a comparable 2.0. real nice originals are hard to find. i was going to take a ride down and make an offer but his price i feel is abit high and i doubt he will come down much. along with jersey parway traffic durning the summer... no thanks.
+Quote Post
Porsche Rescue
post May 31 2006, 11:31 PM
Post #9

Saving and Enjoying Old Porsches

Member No.: 64
Region Association: None

So what is the reserve? I was hoping you guys would miss this one (dumb me). If that car could be had for anywhere close to $5K I would buy and pay the other $2K to ship to Oregon.

And to add a bit of blasphemy: Having now owned 5 factory sixes, I have once and for all decided that a good running 4 is more fun to own and drive. Don't ask me why because I will tell you.
+Quote Post
zymurgist
post Jun 1 2006, 05:00 AM
Post #10

"Ace" Mechanic

Member No.: 4,238

QUOTE(Porsche Rescue @ Jun 1 2006, 01:31 AM) *

And to add a bit of blasphemy: Having now owned 5 factory sixes, I have once and for all decided that a good running 4 is more fun to own and drive. Don't ask me why because I will tell you.

I'll bite... why? Does it have anything to do with the small displacement (2.0 litres) of the factory six?
+Quote Post
Gint
post Jun 1 2006, 05:34 AM
Post #11

Mike Ginter

Group: Admin
Member No.: 20
Region Association: Rocky Mountains

QUOTE(zymurgist @ Jun 1 2006, 05:00 AM) *

QUOTE(Porsche Rescue @ Jun 1 2006, 01:31 AM) *

I'll bite... why? Does it have anything to do with the small displacement (2.0 litres) of the factory six?

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/agree.gif) ...with Jim.

The four feels lighter, quicker... somehow.

When I get the 2.7 in my /6 I may change my mind, but it's a blast to bomb around in a /4.
+Quote Post
JeffBowlsby
post Jun 1 2006, 07:21 AM
Post #12

914 Wiring Harnesses

Member No.: 104

QUOTE(Porsche Rescue @ May 31 2006, 10:31 PM) *

So what is the reserve? I was hoping you guys would miss this one (dumb me). If that car could be had for anywhere close to $5K I would buy and pay the other $2K to ship to Oregon.

I love you man....for having the guts to say that here...thats what I have been thinking for years. I drove a six once...it seemed powerful, but cumbersome. And I know they are expensive to maintain. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/thumb3d.gif)
+Quote Post
Gint
post Jun 1 2006, 07:40 AM
Post #13

Mike Ginter

Group: Admin
Member No.: 20

QUOTE(Jeff Bowlsby @ Jun 1 2006, 07:21 AM) *

QUOTE(Porsche Rescue @ May 31 2006, 10:31 PM) *

I love you man....for having the guts to say that here...thats what I have been thinking for years. I drove a six once...it seemed powerful, but cumbersome. And I know they are expensive to maintain. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/thumb3d.gif)

I've said it right here. More than once. And yes, some said I was nutz... (IMG:style_emoticons/default/wacko.gif)
+Quote Post
shelby/914
post Jun 1 2006, 08:04 AM
Post #14

Member No.: 4,655

Sounds a lot like the quality of the car that sold here last summer. Without making a call or searching past threads, I think it was a '74 1.8L with 24000 miles. Went for around $14 or 15K.
+Quote Post
BKLA
post Jun 1 2006, 08:31 AM
Post #15

Really old member

Member No.: 4,590
Region Association: Pacific Northwest

Here's a repainted '72 listed on craiglist for $6K -

http://portland.craigslist.org/car/165348579.html

Obviously, the red one should bring more....

Having only driven an original 6 about twenty years ago and never owned one 'til I bought my '75 conversion - I can only compare the memories of my 1.7-4, a friends 914-6 (original ) vs. my new conversion.

I LOVE my '75 2.7 conversion - fast, fun, sticks like glue and gets a lot of looks.

Yes, its costs a lot more to maintain, but there is nothing like the sound of a well tuned air cooled six!
+Quote Post
Porsche Rescue
post Jun 1 2006, 09:28 AM
Post #16

Saving and Enjoying Old Porsches

Member No.: 64

As Mike said, it is really just a "feeling". Lighter, quicker, more nimble. I even liked a big bumper '75 1.8 that I owned about 5 years ago better than the factory sixes. Also, as a driver a 2.0 six does not feel all that much more powerful. In addition a later 4 with a sideshifter is a vast improvement. Finally, and it ranks right up there with the nimble feel, the stock six is noisy! With no firewall pad, driving at highway speeds with top on and windows up gets pretty wearing pretty fast. The FI four is much more pleasant on a long trip.
I now have a 2.7 conversion car which is dedicated to AX and a little DE only. It has real power as compared to a 2.0 six or a 4 and gets the adrenalin going when the throttle is vigorously applied.
However, for a street driver, go to the store, take a sunny day drive, I'll take the 4 every time. And then there is the $10-$15,000 difference in the price of admission for cars in comparable condition.
+Quote Post
Pat Garvey
post Jun 1 2006, 06:11 PM
Post #17

IF, this car is as nice as presented, AND the engine compartment is comparable to the rest it's great base for whatever you want to do with it! It's low miles, great condition, has had obvious good care, and CAN be either a great investment at the right price, or a gerat driver as is.

I'd still like to know what the reserve is, but over my wife's objections I'd add another red '72 1.7 to match the one I have in a second. Though I'd probably use it as a solid base for something non-purist!
+Quote Post
tod914
post Jun 2 2006, 11:50 AM
Post #18

Advanced Member

From what I gathered from my conversation with the owner.. it's somewhere between 10k-15k. So for the sake of argument, lets say 12.5K. Being original as it is.. and owning a simular condition 75, I would imagine in near future things are going to need to be adressed; brake lines, maybe mc, oil cooler seals, bushings, etc etc. 8k would be a price I would buy it. Any more, can't really justify it. Might be worth what he wants and probally is to the right person. What do you guys think?
+Quote Post
Pat Garvey
post Jun 2 2006, 05:37 PM
Post #19

QUOTE(tod914 @ Jun 2 2006, 09:50 AM) *

From what I gathered from my conversation with the owner.. it's somewhere between 10k-15k. So for the sake of argument, lets say 12.5K. Being original as it is.. and owning a simular condition 75, I would imagine in near future things are going to need to be adressed; brake lines, maybe mc, oil cooler seals, bushings, etc etc. 8k would be a price I would buy it. Any more, can't really justify it. Might be worth what he wants and probally is to the right person. What do you guys think?

Tod,

Things like MC, brake lines, etc are all pretty minor, so I wouldn't let those get in the way. I'm getting the impression you'd really like this car, eh?

If his reserve is 12.5 he's nuts to try to evilbay it. If it's as nice as it looks, I'd Barrett Jackson the thing. He can still keep it on reserve & the people at those auctions lately seem to be completely out of control. He'd get his best price right after the muscle cars were sold. Hmmm, maybe I should do that w/my '72......
+Quote Post
tod914
post Jun 2 2006, 06:04 PM
Post #20

Advanced Member

Clean original cars like that in this neck of the woods are few and far between. Especially to see one come up for sale. That's kind of why I'm interested. Guess I was hoping for a good buy. On that note.. good bye.
+Quote Post

2 Pages V  1 2 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 19th May 2024 - 02:09 AM