Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: exceptional 72 on ebay
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
tod914
Just had a long conversation with the owner of this 72 914. Car seems extremely original including the cloth covered fuel lines (yes he's aware they should to be replaced). Exceptionally nice car. Anyone looking for a preservation class candidate, this seems like it would be a nice condender.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/PORSCHE-914...1QQcmdZViewItem

no affiliation with the owner.
GWN7
Nice looking car...It will be interesting to see what it brings
drewvw

ditto, i put the watch on that baby.

only kicker is....you buy a sweet original car like that and right away you really have to dig in and replace those fuel lines.
tod914
High reserve other wise my white one would of had an older brother.. Im curious to see how high it goes too. After speaking in depth with him, seems like its just a couple of minor things. Fuels lines not big of a deal to replace, windshield wiper blades, and one window squeeqy. A couple minor chips, but aside from that the car sounded really well taken care of. He has the original steel rims too.
Pat Garvey
w00t.gif

My God, it's a dup of my '72! Except for the jack & seat belts. Does look like a really nice car. Anyone know what the reserve is? Just what I need another red 914, but if I told my wife it was hers.........
tod914
Pat or others, what do you think that car is worth?
Pat Garvey
QUOTE(tod914 @ May 31 2006, 05:35 PM) *

Pat or others, what do you think that car is worth?

dry.gif

Well, if the engine bay is solid & all the usuals in that area aren't a problem on this car, I think it's worth a pretty good buck. IMHO, E-bay is the LAST place to try to sell a car of this type. It's original & it's problems are miniscule, from the sound of things. But what it's worth to some people will sound ridiculous to others.

It's probably worth more to me than to you (no, I'm not bidding), but that's because I have its twin, almost down to the mileage. Remeber, it's not a 2liter, has the sloppy shifter, and seat belts from hell. I'll say one thing, though - it should sell well north of $5k.
tod914
would you value it between 10-15k?? for that kind of money i would be more inclined to put a down payment on a 6 or seek a comparable 2.0. real nice originals are hard to find. i was going to take a ride down and make an offer but his price i feel is abit high and i doubt he will come down much. along with jersey parway traffic durning the summer... no thanks.
Porsche Rescue
So what is the reserve? I was hoping you guys would miss this one (dumb me). If that car could be had for anywhere close to $5K I would buy and pay the other $2K to ship to Oregon.

And to add a bit of blasphemy: Having now owned 5 factory sixes, I have once and for all decided that a good running 4 is more fun to own and drive. Don't ask me why because I will tell you.
zymurgist
QUOTE(Porsche Rescue @ Jun 1 2006, 01:31 AM) *

And to add a bit of blasphemy: Having now owned 5 factory sixes, I have once and for all decided that a good running 4 is more fun to own and drive. Don't ask me why because I will tell you.

I'll bite... why? Does it have anything to do with the small displacement (2.0 litres) of the factory six?
Gint
QUOTE(zymurgist @ Jun 1 2006, 05:00 AM) *

QUOTE(Porsche Rescue @ Jun 1 2006, 01:31 AM) *

I'll bite... why? Does it have anything to do with the small displacement (2.0 litres) of the factory six?

agree.gif ...with Jim.

The four feels lighter, quicker... somehow.

When I get the 2.7 in my /6 I may change my mind, but it's a blast to bomb around in a /4.
JeffBowlsby
QUOTE(Porsche Rescue @ May 31 2006, 10:31 PM) *

So what is the reserve? I was hoping you guys would miss this one (dumb me). If that car could be had for anywhere close to $5K I would buy and pay the other $2K to ship to Oregon.

I love you man....for having the guts to say that here...thats what I have been thinking for years. I drove a six once...it seemed powerful, but cumbersome. And I know they are expensive to maintain. thumb3d.gif
Gint
QUOTE(Jeff Bowlsby @ Jun 1 2006, 07:21 AM) *

QUOTE(Porsche Rescue @ May 31 2006, 10:31 PM) *

I love you man....for having the guts to say that here...thats what I have been thinking for years. I drove a six once...it seemed powerful, but cumbersome. And I know they are expensive to maintain. thumb3d.gif

I've said it right here. More than once. And yes, some said I was nutz... wacko.gif
shelby/914
Sounds a lot like the quality of the car that sold here last summer. Without making a call or searching past threads, I think it was a '74 1.8L with 24000 miles. Went for around $14 or 15K.
BKLA
Here's a repainted '72 listed on craiglist for $6K -

http://portland.craigslist.org/car/165348579.html

Obviously, the red one should bring more....

Having only driven an original 6 about twenty years ago and never owned one 'til I bought my '75 conversion - I can only compare the memories of my 1.7-4, a friends 914-6 (original ) vs. my new conversion.

I LOVE my '75 2.7 conversion - fast, fun, sticks like glue and gets a lot of looks.

Yes, its costs a lot more to maintain, but there is nothing like the sound of a well tuned air cooled six!
Porsche Rescue
As Mike said, it is really just a "feeling". Lighter, quicker, more nimble. I even liked a big bumper '75 1.8 that I owned about 5 years ago better than the factory sixes. Also, as a driver a 2.0 six does not feel all that much more powerful. In addition a later 4 with a sideshifter is a vast improvement. Finally, and it ranks right up there with the nimble feel, the stock six is noisy! With no firewall pad, driving at highway speeds with top on and windows up gets pretty wearing pretty fast. The FI four is much more pleasant on a long trip.
I now have a 2.7 conversion car which is dedicated to AX and a little DE only. It has real power as compared to a 2.0 six or a 4 and gets the adrenalin going when the throttle is vigorously applied.
However, for a street driver, go to the store, take a sunny day drive, I'll take the 4 every time. And then there is the $10-$15,000 difference in the price of admission for cars in comparable condition.
Pat Garvey
IF, this car is as nice as presented, AND the engine compartment is comparable to the rest it's great base for whatever you want to do with it! It's low miles, great condition, has had obvious good care, and CAN be either a great investment at the right price, or a gerat driver as is.

I'd still like to know what the reserve is, but over my wife's objections I'd add another red '72 1.7 to match the one I have in a second. Though I'd probably use it as a solid base for something non-purist!
tod914
From what I gathered from my conversation with the owner.. it's somewhere between 10k-15k. So for the sake of argument, lets say 12.5K. Being original as it is.. and owning a simular condition 75, I would imagine in near future things are going to need to be adressed; brake lines, maybe mc, oil cooler seals, bushings, etc etc. 8k would be a price I would buy it. Any more, can't really justify it. Might be worth what he wants and probally is to the right person. What do you guys think?
Pat Garvey
QUOTE(tod914 @ Jun 2 2006, 09:50 AM) *

From what I gathered from my conversation with the owner.. it's somewhere between 10k-15k. So for the sake of argument, lets say 12.5K. Being original as it is.. and owning a simular condition 75, I would imagine in near future things are going to need to be adressed; brake lines, maybe mc, oil cooler seals, bushings, etc etc. 8k would be a price I would buy it. Any more, can't really justify it. Might be worth what he wants and probally is to the right person. What do you guys think?

Tod,

Things like MC, brake lines, etc are all pretty minor, so I wouldn't let those get in the way. I'm getting the impression you'd really like this car, eh?

If his reserve is 12.5 he's nuts to try to evilbay it. If it's as nice as it looks, I'd Barrett Jackson the thing. He can still keep it on reserve & the people at those auctions lately seem to be completely out of control. He'd get his best price right after the muscle cars were sold. Hmmm, maybe I should do that w/my '72......
tod914
Clean original cars like that in this neck of the woods are few and far between. Especially to see one come up for sale. That's kind of why I'm interested. Guess I was hoping for a good buy. On that note.. good bye.
JPB
Wow, nice car. If the reserve was lower like 5K then it would be a good investment. Its like a house, one never purchases at market value as for any item.
Pat Garvey
QUOTE(tod914 @ Jun 2 2006, 04:04 PM) *

Clean original cars like that in this neck of the woods are few and far between. Especially to see one come up for sale. That's kind of why I'm interested. Guess I was hoping for a good buy. On that note.. good bye.

clap56.gif
Well, I can't believe it! Forced my significant other to eBay to view this car. Her comment was "can I have it?" - expected just the opposite. Then she said "If we win the bid, can we put a motor in it with more poop?"

After 2 shots of Jack Daniels I informed her that the reserve was probably over 10K. Then she told me that was too much (like I didn't know that myself), but if we could get it under 10 she'd go for it (SHE'D go for it?). Well, one must be patint & diplomatic about these things.

So, what's the feel here? Anyone think this could be had for under 10? Or, should I just bid it & see what happens? Every time I think I understand her.........
Porsche Rescue
Pat, I have bought and sold several cars on Ebay. If I were serious about this car I would email the seller and ask for a phone number and best time to call. Talk with him to learn more about the car and see if he will reveal his reserve. Also see if he is willing to end the auction for a certain price. If he chooses to keep the auction going, and does not reveal a reserve price of more than your budget, I would use one of the computer bidding services to enter my absolute top dollar bid. It will be entered within the last 30 seconds or so (if the current bid is not already above your top dollar). You may win at less than your top dollar, at your top dollar, or lose the bid. Regardless you gave it your best shot and will not get caught in an irrational bidding war where you pay too much.
Regardless, if $10 is your top (then bid $10001 or some amount just slightly more than $10) don't bid now (unless with bid napper or bid snipe.com). Bidding now just drives up the bidding and gives you less chance of winning. If you decide to enter a direct bid, wait until the last minute and bid your top dollar then. Maybe you win, maybe not.
tod914
Hey Pat good luck with it! If it was under ten it would be here tongue.gif The reserve is over 10 and under 15 from what I have been told by the owner. I doubt he will let it go for under 10. Maybe around 12 or so. That was the impression i was given when speaking to him. Give him call. Real nice guy and real car buff.
Porsche Rescue
I don't know the eastern market, but the car might go for $12K given that relatively rust free cars are rare in the east. In addition, the car appears to be "show car" clean. However, it is a '72 1.7 and they never go as high as a '73/'74 2.0 in equal condition. I will be surprised if it goes beyond $10 on Ebay unless the top bidder is local enough to have personally inspected the car. If I am right, and the reserve is not reached, the owner will likely lower his price if he truly wants to sell. That's when you contact him to see if you can reach a mutually acceptable price.
tod914
From what I noticed at some of the NNJRPCA events, most of the 911 owners choke when they see a 914 priced/valued over 10K. To the right person, it probally is worth that Jim. Im reflecting on prices from 4 years ago when pristine 24K mile 2.0s were around the 12K mark. That's why I can't justify a 65K 72 for the same amount of money. I suppose values have certianly increased in that time.
Porsche Rescue
It's going to be fun to watch where the auction goes. I have been paying close attention to the 914 market for about 5 years (as most of us Club junkies have) and there is no doubt that 914 values have been climbing rapidly. The car we're talking about was probably worth $7-8K max. 5 years ago. $12K would be more than a 50% increase.
914-8
Yeah, will be interesting to see.

My guess: If you're willing to pay $10K, you will end up owning that car.
Chris Pincetich
QUOTE(Pat Garvey @ Jun 4 2006, 06:55 PM) *

So, what's the feel here? Anyone think this could be had for under 10? Or, should I just bid it & see what happens? Every time I think I understand her.........

Sounds like you situation has changed a bit. With the woman on your side, I have this question to pose: (Q) What is a woman's favorite activity? (A) Shopping! With her on board you could take you $10,000 and shop around for another month and get a lot more "poop" for your $$ biggrin.gif beerchug.gif
Pat Garvey
QUOTE(ChrisNPDrider @ Jun 5 2006, 09:23 AM) *

QUOTE(Pat Garvey @ Jun 4 2006, 06:55 PM) *

Sounds like you situation has changed a bit. With the woman on your side, I have this question to pose: (Q) What is a woman's favorite activity? (A) Shopping! With her on board you could take you $10,000 and shop around for another month and get a lot more "poop" for your $$ biggrin.gif beerchug.gif

icon_bump.gif
For the first time in my memory SHE was in favor of going for it. I, on the other, came to MY senses. It's not worth that kind of money to me. I absolutley have to have a stock 6 before I croak & that's what I'm holding out for. The money spent on this 4, which is identical to the one I already own, can go a long way towards my dream. I also have a 73 T that just sits around most of the time, that I need to come to grips with selling. Had it for about 15 years, so it's become a "child". I have no problem parting with money, but can't give up my cars but am finding it more & more difficult to keep up with multiple vintage cars. Decisions!
Porsche Rescue
Only made $7366. Worth more than that I think. Maybe the owner would be more flexible now. Worth a call if anyone has the number.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/PORSCHE-914...1QQcmdZViewItem
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.