Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

3 Pages V < 1 2 3  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Best Chevy SB for conversion, I want to start the hunt for the short block
GWN7
post Jun 2 2006, 10:44 AM
Post #41

King of Road Trips

Group: Members
Member No.: 56
Region Association: Northstar Region

QUOTE(Jaiden @ Jun 2 2006, 05:24 AM) *

Ok then. I think I will focus on trying to locate a 4" bore block, Make it a rev'r and slap it in.

Anyone know a good place on the east coast to find a decent short block?
In my area the junk yards are not the best. Although Harry's you pull it might be a place to get a cheap tear out but probably not in the older vintage.

Thanks for all the input guys!

Oh and I think that Heroin probably is less addictive then acceleration.

Jim's offer of the 283 is your start. Just bore it to 4" and your at a 302 cu in or find a 1969 or later SBC, the main journal size of the small block was increased in 69

Here's some info I found:

You can make your own 302 small block Chevy. It's really quite simple. You will need to start with a block that has a 4.00" bore.

This can be a 327 that hasn't been bored (very rare, if any exist at all) or a 350 block. Next, you will need a crankshaft with the appropriate main journal size. For the 327 block, you will need a 283 crankshaft. The 283 has a 3.00" stroke. Combined with the 4.00" bore, you will get 302 cubic inches. Most (if not all) of the Chevy small blocks from the fifties and most of the sixties had the same crank main journal diameters.

If you are using a later (1969-on) 350 block, then you will need a 302 crankshaft with the larger main journal size to fit the later block. This crankshaft will also have a 3.00" stroke. In the sixties and seventies, most hot rodders used the 327 pistons and the 283 rods. However, the aftermarket has much superior components now. All you have to do is choose your compression ratio. The aftermarket piston and rod manufacturers make all the really good stuff. Use good tri-metal bearings and a hi-po oil pump and pan.

The prefered cylinder heads for a 302 are units that have a 2.02" intake valve. Again, a good set of aftermarket heads will be better than a set of stock heads. But you can use a hi-po 350 head as well.

I'd top this off with an aftermarket cam that duplicates the old Corvette "30-30" cam specs, and an aluminum dual plane manifold with a 600 cfm carburetor. If the cam you choose is hot enough, you can go larger on the carb.

Here is a formula you can use to determine the cubic inch displacement of any engine. It's helpful because you may start out with a block that has either already been bored, or needs to be bored.

Displacement = pi / 4 x bore(squared) x stroke x number of cylinders

pi = 3.1415927

pi /4 = .07853982

What makes the 302 so good is the big bore, short stroke design. One of these motors can RPM up 7500 rpm if you use the correct oiling system, steel crankshaft and bearings. They really sing!
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
elocke
post Jun 3 2006, 03:29 PM
Post #42

Member No.: 272

Only trouble with that 302 config. is piston cost. I've read in the archives (search) of using L99 rods w/350 pistons, or 5.85" rod (not sure from what) w/327 pistons.
Also, I had a brain fart about the 301. If you have the right block you can punch a 283 out to 4". I meant my point to be that there are differing opinions on using big valves (2.02) w/sub-4" bores.
A 327 ia an awesome option, esp. if you got a good deal on it you maybe could use it right out of the box, or junkyard. Sm. journal from '62-'67, lg in '68,'69. Maybe more probable it would be set up for performance instead of for a station wagon?
Ed
+Quote Post
GTS
post Jun 3 2006, 06:28 PM
Post #43

Member No.: 2,903
Region Association: None

hi all, can anybody give me the dimensions of the engine bay ?
+Quote Post
silversprint
post Jun 4 2006, 12:52 AM
Post #44

Member No.: 5,172

Just keep an eye out for good used engines on Ebay. Try to find them with aluminum head. I bought this motor on ebay for $1450+shipping. I'm going to squeeze this in a '70 911 with a 930 tranny. This will be my first time every working on a chevy V8 motor.

Chevy 350 Small block. (1976 block)
4-bolt mains
Bored +.30
Eagle Crank (forged)
Eagle Forge Connection Rods
TRW forged Pistons
Harland Sharp Aluminum Roller Rockers
Comp Cam (unknow Specs)
AFR 180cc Aluminum Heards
Moroso Shallow 7-qrt oil pan (I installed this for more ground clearance)
Weiand Team G single plan intake manifold
750cc 4bbl Carb
11:1 comression ratio

I was told the motor will make anywhere from 450-500hp.

Inspection showed everything to be in great shape. They headers were rusted and there was no starter or alternator. Both of which are easily replaced.

This is what is looked like where I received it and painted the block
(IMG:http://www.safie.com/_911/motorreceivedside.jpg)

Here is what it looks like cleaned up with new valve cover and some cheap headers.

(IMG:http://www.safie.com/_911/assembledeng2.jpg)

(IMG:http://www.safie.com/_911/assembledeng3.jpg)

(IMG:http://www.safie.com/_911/rollerlifters.jpg)

(IMG:http://www.safie.com/_911/radcutfront.jpg)
Car is almost ready for motor installation. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/clap56.gif)

+Quote Post
marks914
post Jun 4 2006, 05:28 AM
Post #45

Member No.: 2,912

Heres my 2 cents:

Keep it simple, carb or TBI TPI requires firewall mods

It does not matter which one, early or late, whatever you can get your hands on They are both the same dimensions.

I am currently building a SBC 302 to replace my 305. I am using a 1970 LT1 350 block with a real large journal 302 crank. Good luck finding a large journal 302 crank though, the only source I could find for a new one was a raw casting from GM preformance for $620 plus machining. If you go with a pre-69 block you can go small jounal crank, much easier to find a 283 crank.

Many people chime in with the why not put a .... in or a ... in it.

The SBC conversion is easy and relatively inexpensive. and it works, reliably. If you buy a kit, you are ready to go. I thought of switching to the new 5.3L truck chevy, its a junkyard engine now, but that would call for a complete redesign, waterpump, mounts, etc. Thats why I chose to do the 302, simple, bolt in fun.

When I built my car, I wanteed it to be simple and reliable. Currently It has a SBC 305 with a mild cam and a 500 cfm 4barrel with headers. (engine was $300).
The car will do 0-60 in 4 flat and see the other side od 160 MPH with the tall gears (highly reccomended)
I have invested $8k and have put on 25,000 trouble free miles. It has been my favorite car that I have ever owned or driven (and I drive just about every car made for work) And i love passing the guys at work in their vipers or going by a 930 at a PCA event.

Hope this helps
Mark

Attached image(s)
Attached Image
+Quote Post
elocke
post Jun 4 2006, 07:22 AM
Post #46

Member No.: 272

Mark, neat drawing. Is that a 3d model? SW or Pro-E? How'd ja do it? Score on the crank$$!
Ed
+Quote Post
zainman
post Jun 4 2006, 08:58 AM
Post #47

Member No.: 4,827

Why not a 4.3 Chevy V6, there is alot of race parts available for this motor and it is a little shorter and can rev pretty high
+Quote Post
GWN7
post Jun 4 2006, 10:59 AM
Post #48

King of Road Trips

QUOTE(zainman @ Jun 4 2006, 07:58 AM) *

Why not a 4.3 Chevy V6, there is alot of race parts available for this motor and it is a little shorter and can rev pretty high

Some of the chevy V6's cause vibration problems when in a 914. (don't ask which, cause I can't remember) there are a whole bunch of threads on this subject....
+Quote Post
Andyrew
post Jun 4 2006, 05:20 PM
Post #49

Spooling.... Please wait

Member No.: 172
Region Association: Northern California

The 90 degree engine's are notorious...

+Quote Post
byndbad914
post Jun 5 2006, 06:30 PM
Post #50

shoehorn and some butter - it fits

Member No.: 5,463

QUOTE(marks914 @ Jun 4 2006, 04:28 AM) *

Good luck finding a large journal 302 crank though, the only source I could find for a new one was a raw casting from GM preformance for $620 plus machining. If you go with a pre-69 block you can go small jounal crank, much easier to find a 283 crank.

I 2nd that statement re: finding a 302 crank to refurb. Small journal block may be your better bet, OR maybe you can get bearing spacers for that combo. I have bearing spacers in my 400 (which is altogether a different story), and don't think they have spacers, but maybe they exist, or maybe extra-thick bearings for the conversion (IMG:style_emoticons/default/confused24.gif)

I am referring to a spacer like this (what I have in my 400 block for the 327 large journal crank) but for a 350 large journal to early small journal in your case:
http://www.speedwaymotors.com/xq/aspx/dept.../qx/product.htm

oh yeah, as for the V6 shake, that was basically a vibration issue with the firing difference on the early V6s. They remedied that issue, but to putting a V6 in, I say why??? If a V8 fits, put in the V8! I would only go V6 is the V8 wouldn't fit. And the pulsing from a V6 is different, so less torque is necessary to not tear up the 901 - i.e if 300 from a V8 beats up a 901, then 300 from a V6 would destroy it.
+Quote Post
Andyrew
post Jun 5 2006, 07:23 PM
Post #51

Spooling.... Please wait

Member No.: 172
Region Association: Northern California

A small journal crank would be better, because it would allow the crank ends at the bearings to be moving at a slower speed, allowing a higher rev...

Tis what im going to put in my car...

302 combo... maybe extra bored...hehe
+Quote Post
GWN7
post Jun 5 2006, 09:49 PM
Post #52

King of Road Trips

This is what you need to find..... 68 327 275hp with a Edelbrock Torker with a 750 Holley.

It was $1,500 and came attached to the Impala convert it's in. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/beerchug.gif)

Attached image(s)
Attached Image
+Quote Post

3 Pages V < 1 2 3
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 1st June 2024 - 03:36 PM