Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

2 Pages V < 1 2  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Going to my first A/X this saturday, Any advice for a n00b?
nebreitling
post Jun 5 2006, 10:10 AM
Post #21

Member Emeritus

Group: Members
Member No.: 478

sounds like a poorly run AX to tool around until noon -- and makes me appreciate even more what a good job the local pca guys do in the SF bay area. we can get 100+ drivers 7-8 runs each and still leave at 4pm.
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
jhadler
post Jun 5 2006, 10:28 AM
Post #22

Long term tinkerer...

Member No.: 529

Wow, that's a poorly organized group.

If you didn't get on course before noon, you should have been able to walk the course untill your feet hurt. Oh, remember to walk the course more! (IMG:style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif)

The problem with smaller clubs is that there often far too few people that are willing to step up to the plate and help organize it. That means that a small handfull of people are doing all the work (and there is quite a bit to do), and they burn out fast.

I remember even 10 years ago when our local chapter would be struggling to get through an event when more than 100 people showed up. Now, if we get less than 200 it's considered -light- attendance, and our events still run on time and everyone gets at least 4 runs. We made a concerted effort to make sure we ran on time. Things like setup and changeover were key elements to making the day move smoothly.

Maybe they were having a bad day, don't know. But don't give up on autox yet!!!

-Josh2
+Quote Post
grantsfo
post Jun 5 2006, 11:08 AM
Post #23

Arrrrhhhh!

Member No.: 433
Region Association: None

QUOTE(nebreitling @ Jun 5 2006, 09:10 AM) *

sounds like a poorly run AX to tool around until noon -- and makes me appreciate even more what a good job the local pca guys do in the SF bay area. we can get 100+ drivers 7-8 runs each and still leave at 4pm.

I had my first taste of a SF Bay Area SCCA event a month ago. Huge registration lines, lots of waiting, four runs and then your out of there. They do have a nice bar code system that allows them to scan all your information into their timing system. Then barcode goes on your car.

I truly appreciate PCA events in our area now! Nice relaxed atmosphere, hardly any waiting, tons and tons of runs.
+Quote Post
J P Stein
post Jun 5 2006, 11:51 AM
Post #24

Irrelevant old fart

Member No.: 45

Dudes........these are volunteers and you get what you pay for.
Anyone that thinks setting up an AX is a walk in the park ought to give it a try.

Without a good core group of knowledgeable volunteers, nothing would get done....so building the group is the first priority. Knowledgeable folks come from the group of competitors......those willing to put time beyond the obivious set-up/tear down.

Several times I have answered folk's complaints with "if you want to influence
the event, volunteer to help out".......mostly that's all it takes.

Most of the time we make our schedule. Sometimes we don't....if you have a problem with that, volunteer to straighten things out. Those worderful people that
make it possible to put on an AX have my undying gratitude.....those who sit back & whine...fuchem'.
+Quote Post
mudfoot76
post Jun 5 2006, 01:02 PM
Post #25

Currently teenerless :-(

Member No.: 1,814

QUOTE(nebreitling @ Jun 5 2006, 12:10 PM) *

makes me appreciate even more what a good job the local pca guys do

I've been involved with my PCA chapter's lapping days for the past few years, and I do have an appreciation for just how difficult it is to run a large event with only volunteers. This was being hosted by a new group, and I have offered to assist them if they continue to do this in the future.

I did get some updated info on why things were delayed so long in the morning. Someone in a N2O equipped Evo decided to make a top speed run down the airport's active runway instead of going to the parking paddock. This made the airport management a little bit "upset" and I have learned that they were on the verge of kicking us all out before anything started....

This is another thing that the PCA seems to do really well - absolutely zero tolerance for fuch'in around. The jerkoff who nearly ruined everything was allowed to stay and participate. At our track events, I've witnessed people being asked to leave on account of their on-track behavior. This past weekend's A/X somehow attracted a whole bunch of the 2Fast2Furious crowd, most of whom have never been to any type of organized event ever, which I can imagine only magnifies any type of organizational chaos. On reflection, I witnessed in the staging area that many of the drivers only cared about getting to the start line and had no concern for running orders or anything that might have helped the stewards keep the day coordinated. Lessons learned in case there is a next time...
+Quote Post
jhadler
post Jun 5 2006, 01:11 PM
Post #26

Long term tinkerer...

Member No.: 529

Wow, they actually let that bozo stay?!?!?

Man, with any of the clubs I run with, something like that would have resulted in a permanent "go home! and don't come back!" from the event chair, the safety steward, and anyone else who happened to be close by.

Cr*p like that is what makes it harder and harder for legitimate clubs to find sites to run at. 2Fast2Stoopid has created a VERY bad image for sports car enthusiasts. It hurts autoxers especially hard as the sites we use are usually privately owned facilites that are not designed around motorsports (airports, stadium parking lots etc.). And the owners often associate cone-dodgers with street racers. At our local SCCA club, we have a zero tollerance policy in place for that cr*p around our events. We don't want to loose what precious few sites we have...

-Josh2
+Quote Post
GaroldShaffer
post Jun 6 2006, 08:48 PM
Post #27

You bought another 914?

Group: Benefactors
Member No.: 865

QUOTE(J P Stein @ Jun 5 2006, 09:51 AM) *

Dudes........these are volunteers and you get what you pay for.
Anyone that thinks setting up an AX is a walk in the park ought to give it a try.

Without a good core group of knowledgeable volunteers, nothing would get done....so building the group is the first priority. Knowledgeable folks come from the group of competitors......those willing to put time beyond the obivious set-up/tear down.

Several times I have answered folk's complaints with "if you want to influence
the event, volunteer to help out".......mostly that's all it takes.

Most of the time we make our schedule. Sometimes we don't....if you have a problem with that, volunteer to straighten things out. Those worderful people that
make it possible to put on an AX have my undying gratitude.....those who sit back & whine...fuchem'.

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/agree.gif)

As Solo Chairman for my SCCA region I can't even to begin to tell you how much a PITA it is to run a event. I am very greatful for my "team" that knows what to do and when. The thing that makes any club event run smooth is the core group of people stepping up and doing their part. For our events it takes a core group of 3 for registration, 2 saftey people, 2 starters, at least two hopefully 4 for timing, 2 for grid, and 2 for tech. So it 11 - 14 people to run the event PLUS the drivers to work the course when they are not running.

Geoff, check out your local SCCA region and attend a few of their Solo II events. I'm not sure what PCA in Indy does for Ax. Both should give a better understanding of how Solo II / AX events "should" be ran. Heck if you are not busy come up Sunday and run our AX event (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smile.gif)
+Quote Post
mudfoot76
post Jun 6 2006, 09:11 PM
Post #28

QUOTE(itsa914 @ Jun 6 2006, 10:48 PM) *

Geoff, check out your local SCCA region and attend a few of their Solo II events. I'm not sure what PCA in Indy does for Ax. Both should give a better understanding of how Solo II / AX events "should" be ran. Heck if you are not busy come up Sunday and run our AX event (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smile.gif)

I do intend to check out the local SCCA. My PCA chapter has been trying to get an a/x organized, but we can never get the critical mass needed to host our own - there just doesn't seem to be too much interest. I was hoping to learn some more about running an a/x this past weekend so that I might be the catalyst CIRPCA needs to have our own event.

Where do you run your event?
+Quote Post
mudfoot76
post Jun 7 2006, 09:17 PM
Post #29

Pictures!!
Attached Image

That is quite a bit of body roll. Coming off a slalom, heavy braking into a tight left hand turn
+Quote Post
mudfoot76
post Jun 7 2006, 09:19 PM
Post #30

Attached Image

Speed!
+Quote Post
mudfoot76
post Jun 7 2006, 09:20 PM
Post #31

Attached Image
Last one for now
+Quote Post
grantsfo
post Jun 7 2006, 09:25 PM
Post #32

Arrrrhhhh!

Member No.: 433

Great Shots! Your car looks great! You definitely need a bigger front swaybar!
+Quote Post
Trekkor
post Jun 7 2006, 09:56 PM
Post #33

I do things...

Member No.: 1,413
Region Association: Northern California

thanks for the pics!!

Our a/x's at LPR, GGR and RR PCA's seem to always turn out well.

KT
+Quote Post
Joe Ricard
post Jun 8 2006, 09:33 AM
Post #34

CUMONIWANNARACEU

Member No.: 92

Is that the same surface that the "2 wheeled" cars run on?
1st picture looks like you are attempting a "Fritz"

What Tiars you got on that car?
+Quote Post
mudfoot76
post Jun 8 2006, 12:04 PM
Post #35

QUOTE(Joe Ricard @ Jun 8 2006, 11:33 AM) *

Is that the same surface that the "2 wheeled" cars run on?
1st picture looks like you are attempting a "Fritz"

What Tiars you got on that car?

Attempting a Fritz (IMG:style_emoticons/default/confused24.gif)

Tires are 205/60-15, Pirelli P6000. I know they are not optimal, but they were on sale. The front sway bar is stock from the factory. I used to have a large rear swaybar, but I took it off. Rear springs are 140#. I did set all tire pressures to 40psi cold.

This event was held in Anderson, IN at Darlington Field (KAID) using the parking tarmac (pictures show this part), taxiways, and part of one of the runways.
+Quote Post
Joe Ricard
post Jun 8 2006, 06:13 PM
Post #36

CUMONIWANNARACEU

Member No.: 92

A "Fritz is going up on 2 wheels in a turn.

I think those tarmac pieces of concrete have insane grip.

Be careful out there.
+Quote Post
GaroldShaffer
post Jun 9 2006, 09:29 PM
Post #37

You bought another 914?

Group: Benefactors
Member No.: 865

QUOTE(mudfoot76 @ Jun 6 2006, 07:11 PM) *

QUOTE(itsa914 @ Jun 6 2006, 10:48 PM) *

I do intend to check out the local SCCA. My PCA chapter has been trying to get an a/x organized, but we can never get the critical mass needed to host our own - there just doesn't seem to be too much interest. I was hoping to learn some more about running an a/x this past weekend so that I might be the catalyst CIRPCA needs to have our own event.

Where do you run your event?

Geoff currently we are running at the Lake County Government complex in Crown Point. This is not the best lot but our only choice for this year our other two locations are under construction. I know its late notice but we are running this Sunday (6/11) if you have time to come out. Here is a link to our SCCA region website with details. INR SCCA
+Quote Post
Trekkor
post Jun 9 2006, 09:52 PM
Post #38

I do things...

Member No.: 1,413
Region Association: Northern California

"Fritz"

KT

Attached image(s)
Attached Image
+Quote Post
mudfoot76
post Jun 19 2006, 08:13 PM
Post #39

Video from the A/X

Sadly there is no 914 content in that video, but you do get to take multiple runs through the course. The veterans said it was very long and very complex.

What do you think?
+Quote Post

2 Pages V < 1 2
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 10th May 2024 - 02:44 PM