Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

> Fuel tank cover...I've never seen one.
Air_Cooled_Nut
post Jun 4 2006, 12:40 PM
Post #1

914 Ronin - 914 owner who lost his 914club.com

Group: Members
Member No.: 584
Region Association: None

Went to the Woodburn Bug-In yesterday for the drag racing and VW car show. -- Side Note: Because my 16-month daughter began chasing the lawn mower and began smiling and tried to hug my VERY loud engine as I was tuning the carbs in my Type 3, I also took an interesting in the 1/8th mile kiddy drag racing. Frickin' sweet! Can't wait for her to turn 8 years old so we can start her drag racing career (IMG:style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif) -- Anyway, in the swap area was a gentleman who sells all sorts of literature. Really nice guy and local to The Middle Of No-Where. I bought "Porsche 914, Collection No.1, 1969-1983" (but it's nothing but teeners). It contains articles from magazines during the time period. Unfortunately, all of the photographs are b/w (IMG:style_emoticons/default/sad.gif) This image caught my eye:

Attached Image
(Click on the image to increase the size)

This article was from Car and Driver, December of 1969, titled "Porsche 914 914/6 Preview Test". Notice the cover over the fuel tank area. I've never seen such a decoration. Was this actually produced? Anyone have an original in their car or see one in person?
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
Replies(1 - 5)
Mueller
post Jun 4 2006, 06:36 PM
Post #2

914 Freak!

Member No.: 87
Region Association: None

my white 914 that I sold last year to Darren D has that kit in it...on problem is that if the cover gets moved and rests on the firewall and you close the front lid, the lid will get bent which leads to a nice crease (IMG:style_emoticons/default/headbang.gif)
+Quote Post
Pat Garvey
post Jun 4 2006, 07:24 PM
Post #3

Do I or don't I...........?

Member No.: 5,765
Region Association: North East States

QUOTE(Air_Cooled_Nut @ Jun 4 2006, 10:40 AM) *

Went to the Woodburn Bug-In yesterday for the drag racing and VW car show. -- Side Note: Because my 16-month daughter began chasing the lawn mower and began smiling and tried to hug my VERY loud engine as I was tuning the carbs in my Type 3, I also took an interesting in the 1/8th mile kiddy drag racing. Frickin' sweet! Can't wait for her to turn 8 years old so we can start her drag racing career (IMG:style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif) -- Anyway, in the swap area was a gentleman who sells all sorts of literature. Really nice guy and local to The Middle Of No-Where. I bought "Porsche 914, Collection No.1, 1969-1983" (but it's nothing but teeners). It contains articles from magazines during the time period. Unfortunately, all of the photographs are b/w (IMG:style_emoticons/default/sad.gif) This image caught my eye:

Attached Image
(Click on the image to increase the size)

This article was from Car and Driver, December of 1969, titled "Porsche 914 914/6 Preview Test". Notice the cover over the fuel tank area. I've never seen such a decoration. Was this actually produced? Anyone have an original in their car or see one in person?

It was on the pre-production cars & some 916's (in a different sort).
+Quote Post
JPB
post Jun 4 2006, 07:30 PM
Post #4

The Crimson Rocket smiles in your general direction.

Member No.: 5,107

I like things which catches and absorbs fuel like that so fumes can build up in the trunk area and ignites at any moment. Where can I get one of those?

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/popcorn[1].gif)
+Quote Post
Pat Garvey
post Jun 4 2006, 07:35 PM
Post #5

Do I or don't I...........?

Member No.: 5,765
Region Association: North East States

QUOTE(JPB @ Jun 4 2006, 05:30 PM) *

I like things which catches and absorbs fuel like that so fumes can build up in the trunk area and ignites at any moment. Where can I get one of those?

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/popcorn[1].gif)

Hell, just roll off a couple hundred paper towels, spray 'em gray & slap 'em on the gas tank. Fuel up, slop a little, close the lid & enjoy! Might help if you fire up the vent system too. Keep the windows up, though - don't want to waste any of it!
+Quote Post
SGB
post Jun 4 2006, 07:58 PM
Post #6

just visiting

Member No.: 404
Region Association: South East States

I wanted one, so I made it from foamboard and covered it with a cheap grey blanket material that is alot like felt, but stronger. I think it adds a much more finished look to the whole front trunk area. Note that my car has had the charcoal canister removed from the gas tank. It could create a fitment problem I think...
Also, I have an elecrtic ww washer with the bottle mounted up nest to the gas tank cap.

Attached image(s)
Attached Image
+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 17th May 2024 - 03:21 PM