Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Fuel tank cover...I've never seen one.
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Air_Cooled_Nut
Went to the Woodburn Bug-In yesterday for the drag racing and VW car show. -- Side Note: Because my 16-month daughter began chasing the lawn mower and began smiling and tried to hug my VERY loud engine as I was tuning the carbs in my Type 3, I also took an interesting in the 1/8th mile kiddy drag racing. Frickin' sweet! Can't wait for her to turn 8 years old so we can start her drag racing career biggrin.gif -- Anyway, in the swap area was a gentleman who sells all sorts of literature. Really nice guy and local to The Middle Of No-Where. I bought "Porsche 914, Collection No.1, 1969-1983" (but it's nothing but teeners). It contains articles from magazines during the time period. Unfortunately, all of the photographs are b/w sad.gif This image caught my eye:

Click to view attachment
(Click on the image to increase the size)

This article was from Car and Driver, December of 1969, titled "Porsche 914 914/6 Preview Test". Notice the cover over the fuel tank area. I've never seen such a decoration. Was this actually produced? Anyone have an original in their car or see one in person?
Mueller
my white 914 that I sold last year to Darren D has that kit in it...on problem is that if the cover gets moved and rests on the firewall and you close the front lid, the lid will get bent which leads to a nice crease headbang.gif
Pat Garvey
QUOTE(Air_Cooled_Nut @ Jun 4 2006, 10:40 AM) *

Went to the Woodburn Bug-In yesterday for the drag racing and VW car show. -- Side Note: Because my 16-month daughter began chasing the lawn mower and began smiling and tried to hug my VERY loud engine as I was tuning the carbs in my Type 3, I also took an interesting in the 1/8th mile kiddy drag racing. Frickin' sweet! Can't wait for her to turn 8 years old so we can start her drag racing career biggrin.gif -- Anyway, in the swap area was a gentleman who sells all sorts of literature. Really nice guy and local to The Middle Of No-Where. I bought "Porsche 914, Collection No.1, 1969-1983" (but it's nothing but teeners). It contains articles from magazines during the time period. Unfortunately, all of the photographs are b/w sad.gif This image caught my eye:

Click to view attachment
(Click on the image to increase the size)

This article was from Car and Driver, December of 1969, titled "Porsche 914 914/6 Preview Test". Notice the cover over the fuel tank area. I've never seen such a decoration. Was this actually produced? Anyone have an original in their car or see one in person?

It was on the pre-production cars & some 916's (in a different sort).
JPB
I like things which catches and absorbs fuel like that so fumes can build up in the trunk area and ignites at any moment. Where can I get one of those?

popcorn[1].gif
Pat Garvey
QUOTE(JPB @ Jun 4 2006, 05:30 PM) *

I like things which catches and absorbs fuel like that so fumes can build up in the trunk area and ignites at any moment. Where can I get one of those?

popcorn[1].gif

Hell, just roll off a couple hundred paper towels, spray 'em gray & slap 'em on the gas tank. Fuel up, slop a little, close the lid & enjoy! Might help if you fire up the vent system too. Keep the windows up, though - don't want to waste any of it!
SGB
I wanted one, so I made it from foamboard and covered it with a cheap grey blanket material that is alot like felt, but stronger. I think it adds a much more finished look to the whole front trunk area. Note that my car has had the charcoal canister removed from the gas tank. It could create a fitment problem I think...
Also, I have an elecrtic ww washer with the bottle mounted up nest to the gas tank cap.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.