Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

4 Pages V  1 2 3 > »   
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> What would you pay for a Perfect, Mint 914/4?
JeffBowlsby
post Feb 24 2003, 11:28 AM
Post #1

914 Wiring Harnesses

Group: Members
Member No.: 104
Region Association: None

Picking upon a recent thread, how much is a Perfect, Mint Concours level 914/4 car worth, if you could even find such a car to purchase?

I have seen Concours-winning, fully-restored 914/6 cars go for $20-25K, which seems about right, but I never hear anything about a 914/4 in similar condition.

This is the car I mean:

73-74 2.0L, with all accessories
*Perfect, Mint, Concours winning condition
*No PO 'upgrades'
*Fully restored or original in every way
*NO RUST ANYWHERE

My guess is it would take the following to make such a car, if you do most of the disassembly/reassembly work yourself:

5K Good original sound, complete car, needing restoration
4K Engine/trans rebuild
2K Wheels/tires/brakes/suspension restoration
4K Paint/bodywork
2K Plating/new exterior trim
2K New uphostery/interior
2K Misc weatherstripping/top refurb/missing parts

20-22K Total

My guess is this car might sell somewhere in the $12-15K range.

What would you pay as a buyer?
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
Part Pricer
post Feb 24 2003, 11:47 AM
Post #2

Believe everything I post

Group: Benefactors
Member No.: 35

A neighbor of mine sold his concours-winning 1974 914 to a museum. Although he has never told me exactly what he got for it, he gave me the impression that it was around $15K.
+Quote Post
URY914
post Feb 24 2003, 11:58 AM
Post #3

I built the lightest 914 in the history of mankind.
****************************************************************************************************

Member No.: 222

Completely stock 914-4?
I would never spend over 8K for a perfect one. What are you getting?
The car is just not worth much. It is/was not "rare", fast, well known or even well liked by most people like a 911 is.
Sorry, but a stock -4 just doesn't have the value for the dollar.
Paul
+Quote Post
JeffBowlsby
post Feb 24 2003, 12:08 PM
Post #4

914 Wiring Harnesses

"The car is just not worth much. It is/was not "rare", fast, well known or even well liked by most people like a 911 is.
Sorry, but a stock -4 just doesn't have the value for the dollar."

Thanks Ury, thats an interesting perspective...

Most 911s are not rare, but certainly faster than a stock 914...and for some reason I am not attracted to a 911...just not my style.

914s in Concours, unmolested condition on the other hand are quite rare...I guess it depends on what one person values...speed/condition/uniqueness

I would rather have a $15K 914 than a $15K 911 anyday...
+Quote Post
rick 918-S
post Feb 24 2003, 12:26 PM
Post #5

Hey nice rack! -Celette

Member No.: 43
Region Association: Northstar Region

I'm personally not into concours cars per say. I'm just too busy to worry if I'm reinstalling the correct type and properly marked bolt in the heater control cable trunion under the car. I have never heard of a porsche 914 concours show. Ofcourse I live in the rust belt so that goes without saying. I do agree that a concours 914 should be worth $ 15000.00. I'm just not sure I'm the buyer. The hotrodder in me would wreck the thing in a week... (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smash.gif)
User is online!Profile CardPM
+Quote Post
URY914
post Feb 24 2003, 12:29 PM
Post #6

I built the lightest 914 in the history of mankind.
****************************************************************************************************

Member No.: 222

Bowlsby,
I realize that everyone has things they like more than others and will pay more than the average guy would to own it. That is where market prices get a little out of whack. Look at some of the stuff (shit) that sells on E-bay and the prices people pay for it. A 914-4 LE black/yellow would be the most "rare" -4 there is, but I would pay more for one with all the right upgrades than I would a pure stock one.

Paul
+Quote Post
Bleyseng
post Feb 24 2003, 12:36 PM
Post #7

Aircooled Baby!

Member No.: 24
Region Association: Pacific Northwest

I agree Jeff that it would be worth $15k for one. I am with Rich, if I had one I would be tempted to modifiy it. I like these cars for the driving pleasure not their styling. I do think they are going up in value, atleast for the nice ones. I do see a few here in Seattle at the concour events, just not my idea of fun. I prefer the autox track or twisties topless.
Geoff (IMG:style_emoticons/default/aktion035.gif)
+Quote Post
Ferg
post Feb 24 2003, 12:42 PM
Post #8

914 Guru

Member No.: 116

I think that I would pay 12-15k for a perfect 914. I too would rather have a perfect 914 for the same money as a driver 911. Then I would take it to the track and auto-x it anyhow, and watch everyone shake their head. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/ohmy.gif) I mean what could happen to it right? Ferg.
+Quote Post
SirAndy
post Feb 24 2003, 12:44 PM
Post #9

Resident German

Group: Admin
Member No.: 179
Region Association: Northern California

as much as i like to see people to at least take "originality" into consideration, i agree with some of the other post, a stock 914/4, even in perfect condition does not sound very, hmm, appealing? it'd rather have the "upgraded" version. i think of it more like, what would a 914 look like if Porsche would make it today? upgraded suspension, bigger engine, different spoilers, bigger wheels etc etc etc ...

because of the excellent handling and fairly low price,
it makes for a perfect "customization" project ...

Andy (IMG:style_emoticons/default/aktion035.gif)
+Quote Post
Chris H.
post Feb 24 2003, 12:47 PM
Post #10

Member No.: 73
Region Association: Upper MidWest

There was a '74 2.0L last summer from the St Louis area that went on e-bay for like $14,500. Marathon Blue I think? According to Bob D. it was MINT and documented well. It had 30k miles too. Anyone see that one? The "buy it now" was at $13,500.
+Quote Post
Part Pricer
post Feb 24 2003, 12:52 PM
Post #11

Believe everything I post

Member No.: 35

I have never heard of a porsche 914 concours show.

Sorry. I should have been more specific. The car I was referring to won the CONCOURS EUROPA BEST GERMAN CABRIOLET POST-WWII category at the Greenwich Concours d ' Elegance. The car is in beautiful condition with 20K miles.
+Quote Post
Porsche Rescue
post Feb 24 2003, 12:55 PM
Post #12

Saving and Enjoying Old Porsches

Member No.: 64

Last summer I bought (from Rennlist classifieds) a '74 1.8 car that meets some of Bowlsby's tests but fails others. I got it from the original owner who now lives in Tennesse. He bought it in Pennsylvania and drove it regularly for a couple of years. It has 31,000 total miles. It has been shown in regional PCA concours events in the southeast as well as autocrossed (often trailered to events). The rest of the story: The car was substantially modified by PO.
916 style bumpers with body color rockers (all other paint is original phoenix red). Sway bars front and rear installed by Stoddard in Ohio when car was near new. Console added with custom 4 gauge array. Camber truss in rear trunk, Koni externally adjustable shocks, hard suspension bushings and ATS wheels. The competition carbed engine came to me in a crate as it had tossed a rod bolt and fractured the case (why the owner gave up on it after 28 years). I am installing a carbed 2.0 in the next few weeks. The interior looks brand new (PO only used the floor carpets for show, drove it with bare floor). As to price: I won't say what I paid, but would not accept $10,000 if offered I have no good picture on file but the right front is visible in my Avatar.
+Quote Post
jonwatts
post Feb 24 2003, 01:05 PM
Post #13

no rules, just wrong

Member No.: 141

QUOTE(jim9146 @ Feb 24 2003, 10:55 AM)
I have no good picture on file but the right front is visible in my Avatar.

Do you have a larger version of your avatar. I need to show that to my wife (IMG:style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif) She actually was almost accepting of me getting a 4 post lift.
+Quote Post
tahoward
post Feb 24 2003, 01:18 PM
Post #14

Member No.: 52

Bowlsby, check back issues of Excellence, like around last summer maybe. A fellow in Michigan has an un-real 74. I talked to him at a show near Toledo, OH. A very nice guy who definately has time and money. Hopefully he's on this site. I can't imagine any 914 being better than that. He ordered several duplicates of every part for his re-build, including nuts and bolts, and then used only the best. Its better in person than in the magazine.
+Quote Post
seanery
post Feb 24 2003, 01:28 PM
Post #15

waiting to rebuild whitey!

Group: Retired Admin
Member No.: 100

tahoward,

are you talking about the green -6 ?
+Quote Post
tahoward
post Feb 24 2003, 02:01 PM
Post #16

Member No.: 52

No, its a 74 2.0. Its in Aug. 2002 Excellence. The owner is Tom Bliznik. I Hope he's a member here. It is a yellow car.
+Quote Post
JeffBowlsby
post Feb 24 2003, 02:02 PM
Post #17

914 Wiring Harnesses

So the basic current consensus on this and the PP BBS seems to be that a Concours 914/4 is reasonably worth:

$12-15K for a flawless restored car

and

$15-20K for a perfect original car

Values within the range are dependant on mileage, special status (Italian), original paint, etc. and preferences of wht a specific buyer is interested in.

I remember the Italian car...it was on the market for ever...
+Quote Post
seanery
post Feb 24 2003, 02:07 PM
Post #18

waiting to rebuild whitey!

Group: Retired Admin
Member No.: 100

I think the value is whatever a prospective buyer is willing to pay.
It may not be unreasonable for high quality, desirable cars to go for $20k soon.
Especially so if more than one wants it at the same time.
+Quote Post
TJB/914
post Feb 24 2003, 03:16 PM
Post #19

Mid-Engn.

Member No.: 346

Hi Jeff & Tahoward,
Thanks for the kind words on my car & Jeff great article on LE's. I believe my restored (Aug. Excellence) 914 qualifies as mint restored. I have been asked what my price is & it's $25 big ones if I decide to sell. I believe anyone who has the desire & money will step up & pay the price. I have $15K in parts alone, plus another $6k in outside services or a total of $21k into the car including my $400.00 purchase. I also have over 2000 of my free manhours in the restoration that's worth something. I believe any restored car will have 2000 to 3000 manhours plus material costs. Do the math & you approach big bucks having a professional restored car. Of course I didn't consider costs when I did my restoration. It was a labor of love. I understand not everyone has the money or effort to do what I did but you can be sure & back in the next five years and say "would have , should have" because the cost & availabilty of good 914's are drying up. Hope this picture comes through to show you the level of detailing. I have been a lurker & just had to respond. Thanks everyone. My 4 kicks butt on a local 6's till we hit 100. Right Gary!!
Tom Bliznik, HIPO-2L - Yellow
+Quote Post
Chris H.
post Feb 24 2003, 03:30 PM
Post #20

Member No.: 73

Tom-

If you want to post a pic from your hard drive, browse, find the photo, select it, and DO NOT preview your post, just click "add reply" post the sucker. That's the only way you can post one that's not on a server somewhere.
+Quote Post

4 Pages V  1 2 3 > » 
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 20th May 2024 - 05:43 AM