Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

> /6 valve cover leak......still
Dr Evil
post Jun 7 2006, 09:24 AM
Post #1

Send me your transmission!

Group: Members
Member No.: 1,372
Region Association: MidAtlantic Region

So I got the new silicon covered valve cover gaskets and put them on last time I ran the car hoping that this would solve the oil incontenance my engine is suffereing.....nope. Then I recalled that I may have been expecting a bit too much from these new fangled gaskets. My old valve cover has some corrosion on the mating surface that is potentially the cause, or at least an exacerbating factor of this leak. That plus the tooling marks on the head probably did it in. Thus, I just scored a good deal on some turbo valve covers (they realy have come down in price for new, though) and hope to have them in by Fri.

Some thoughts about hte other part of this problem, the mating surface of the cam towers.
Q: Could I fill in any tooling marks with a filler of some sort and sand smooth? ex; quick steel, jb weld, etc.

So long as this compound is not heat sensitive and can withstand oil I think it would work.

Comments?
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post

Posts in this topic
Dr Evil   /6 valve cover leak......still   Jun 7 2006, 09:24 AM
Aaron Cox   alright,......how bad did you gouge the surface?   Jun 7 2006, 09:25 AM
Cap'n Krusty   If you VERY CAREFULLY dress the surfaces with a la...   Jun 7 2006, 09:58 AM
drgchapman   I just had my 3.2 put into my car. The race shop ...   Jun 7 2006, 09:58 AM
Dr Evil   Krusty, that is exactly what I was thinking. I am ...   Jun 7 2006, 10:11 AM
lapuwali   I wouldn't say the machining required to get t...   Jun 7 2006, 12:06 PM
Dr Evil   I didnt have to drop the engine the other SEVERAL ...   Jun 7 2006, 12:31 PM
Dr Evil   I think I will take pics so I can give you all a b...   Jun 7 2006, 12:32 PM
lapuwali   The tall ribs on the Turbo valve covers pretty muc...   Jun 7 2006, 12:47 PM
Dr Evil   Ah, gotcha. No, I knew going in that I would have ...   Jun 7 2006, 01:04 PM
Root_Werks   Evil one, Did you set the valve cover on a flat s...   Jun 7 2006, 01:21 PM
Aaron Cox   40-45 lbs? seems alot? what size thread are they?   Jun 7 2006, 01:36 PM
Cap'n Krusty  

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 26th May 2024 - 02:18 AM