Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

2 Pages V < 1 2  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> OT: wi-fi router for home use, what is a good choice
Gint
post Jun 11 2006, 10:11 AM
Post #21

Mike Ginter

Group: Admin
Member No.: 20
Region Association: Rocky Mountains

QUOTE(Dr. Roger @ Jun 11 2006, 12:24 AM) *

Linksys WRT54G's are great as their programming is open source and several hacks have been created to allow for access point or client mode.

I've got a Linksys, a Netgear, and a Viewsonic.

All of these wireless routers can be locked with 128bit encryption and you provide the key. that means no one can use your access point.... =-)

Actually, they *were* open source. They aren't any more. The older versions of the G and GS are until you get to version 4 (I think it's 4, check the link below). Unless you buy a WRT54GL. LinkSys decided it was cheaper to buy a third party OS and install half the memory on the G and GS. To their credit, they took the old GS model and continued it in the GL. The L now stands for "Linux" and as you can guess is the open source OS on that model. I bought a version 4 GS and when I realized all of this, I ordered a GL online and took the GS back to Best Buy. Most "brick and mortar" stores don't carry the GL model.

Having said all of that, there are of course older G and GS models that are open source. The newer versions are not.

Here's some info for those that are interested.

Linksys opensource wireless router

Version identification
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
Yesterdays_Fish
post Jun 11 2006, 10:17 AM
Post #22

Group: Members
Member No.: 6,068

QUOTE(bd1308 @ Jun 11 2006, 10:10 AM) *

WRT54GX I buy them three at a time.

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/smile.gif)

b

The Linksys WRT54G is a very good router. Moreover, there is a strong open source development community for it and finding the information to get you out of trouble will be easy. If you're using the router for a wireless access, Linksys also offers range expanders that can be easily tied in with it.
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post

2 Pages V < 1 2
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 2nd June 2024 - 12:29 AM