Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

4 Pages V < 1 2 3 4 >  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> My SDS install, photos and comentary
ottox914
post Aug 4 2006, 10:14 PM
Post #41

The glory that once was.

Group: Members
Member No.: 1,438
Region Association: Upper MidWest

Lots of progress today- the fearless fabricator arrives, bringing big tools. not sure about the legality of transporting tanks of gas inside a passinger vehicle, but it was buckled up.

Attached image(s)
Attached Image Attached Image
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
ottox914
post Aug 4 2006, 10:15 PM
Post #42

The glory that once was.

we hulked the motor onto the workbench for new push rod tubes, seals, and a valve adjustment.

Attached image(s)
+Quote Post
ottox914
post Aug 4 2006, 10:17 PM
Post #43

The glory that once was.

and then moved on to test fitting the pulley that will receive the trigger magnets.

Attached image(s)
+Quote Post
ottox914
post Aug 4 2006, 10:19 PM
Post #44

The glory that once was.

fabrication time-

Attached image(s)
+Quote Post
ottox914
post Aug 4 2006, 10:20 PM
Post #45

The glory that once was.

Lets weld!

Attached image(s)
+Quote Post
ottox914
post Aug 4 2006, 10:24 PM
Post #46

The glory that once was.

making the sensor mount- we first tried some 2" x 1" rectangle stock, but it didn't give enough set back between the sensor and the pulley. Solutions included having a flat disc machined to match the mounting holes for the pulley, or make a welded box section that would give the proper clearances for the sensor and magnets, once mounted on the pulley. Having welding equipment, but no lathe, we chose option "B".

Attached image(s)
+Quote Post
ottox914
post Aug 4 2006, 10:25 PM
Post #47

The glory that once was.

test fitting our creation...

Attached image(s)
+Quote Post
ottox914
post Aug 4 2006, 10:28 PM
Post #48

The glory that once was.

close ups of the sensor mount. It has nuts welded on the inside for the mounting to the fan shroud screws, which still need to be counter sunk a little.

Attached image(s)
+Quote Post
ottox914
post Aug 4 2006, 10:33 PM
Post #49

The glory that once was.

In addition to the push rod tubes/seals, valve adjustments, sensor mounting, we got Chris Foley's fuel lines in. This was just too easy. With the motor out, I'd bet once we got the tank pulled, it took us less than 1/2 an hour. We pulled the plastic out, stuffed the metal in. We ended up with one guy in back pushing the lines in, a sesond guy in the car getting them lined up with the grommet at the front firewall. Again, what a product. Went in super easy, looks great. Thanks Chris. Anyone wanna buy some slightly used plastic lines? (just kidding)

Attached image(s)
+Quote Post
ottox914
post Aug 4 2006, 10:34 PM
Post #50

The glory that once was.

And here are the new lines in place.

Attached image(s)
+Quote Post
ottox914
post Aug 4 2006, 10:38 PM
Post #51

The glory that once was.

Whats left? PLENTY!!! Tomorrow we countersink and finalize the sensor mounts to the fan housing. Mount the cyl. head temp sensor. Replace the fuel pump and filter. Drill and mount the magnets on the crank pulley. put the engine and tin back togather. New thermostat cable. Marry the engine to the trans, and re-install. Plus a hundred and one other things that will need to be done along the way. I hope to drive it to dinner tomorrow night. We'll see whats up about 6pm.
+Quote Post
Boojum
post Aug 4 2006, 11:31 PM
Post #52

Member No.: 6,550

QUOTE(ottox914 @ Aug 4 2006, 10:19 PM) *

Fearless fabricator, indeed! I'd be more weary of playing footsie with an angle grinder, but maybe that's just me.
+Quote Post
grasshopper
post Aug 4 2006, 11:51 PM
Post #53

Advanced Member

Member No.: 3,258
Region Association: None

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/agree.gif) lol...I would be afraid I would cut my foot off...I have already tried slowing one down with my thumb (IMG:style_emoticons/default/screwy.gif)
+Quote Post
ottox914
post Aug 6 2006, 11:18 AM
Post #54

The glory that once was.

August 5 has come and gone. Happy birthday to me... but no running 914, the best present a guy could get...

Progress was slow, as even with the fearless fabricator, the detail work slowed us down. We decided to divide and conquer, so not many pics from yesterday. One part of the project was to upgrade to a walbro 255 fuel pump. I came to discover that thing is L O N G, and makes packaging up front a challenge. Couldn't get it all to fit in the gas tank area. The pump and filter sorta fit under the gravel guard, but I was a little concerned about lines being a little to close to the moving bits of the steering rack for my comfort. And again, the length of the pump limited the location of the pump/filter down there, and pinched lines were about a 50/50 thing, they may be fine, they may not.

So I/we went with option 3, front trunk. I'll be having another friend who works in sheetmetal make an aluminim cover for the pump/filter/lines that will still allow full use of the front trunk, room to stash the spair, and not be in the way for any future front oil cooler that may come along.

Attached image(s)
+Quote Post
ottox914
post Aug 6 2006, 11:21 AM
Post #55

The glory that once was.

Here are the lines into the fuel tank area, and the lines and wireing to the fuel pump as they were run up the tunnel, thru the tank area, and into the front trunk. The power for the fuel pump is fused, 40amp relay switched, and uses none of the old factory wiring. Just above the lines into the fuel tank area can be seen the sway bar, so I'm confident I'll have no pinching issues.

Attached image(s)
+Quote Post
ottox914
post Aug 6 2006, 11:37 AM
Post #56

The glory that once was.

The motor is back togather, and attached to the trans. Not seen on this blury photo is the Ebay light weight gear drive starter. New factory engine mounts are installed. BOTH of the mounts were fully destroyed when the motor came out. I'm amazed I didn't rock and roll that motor enough to crack a tranny mounting ear. No wonder it didn't shift so well... Dave-O was putting the motor back togather all day yesterday, while I was puzzleing out and running all over town looking for bits and pieces for the fuel pump project, so I didn't get much for photos. The mounting of the magnets in the pulley went as easily as the SDS instructions indicated it would. We mounted the sensor on the opposite side of the motor from the alternator to keep it away from that source of electrons. I added some 1/4" fuel hose, cut down the length of the hose, around the hall sensor wires to keep them safe coming back out of the cooling housing and thru the engine tin. We had the motor up on the workbench, and were able to extend the wires from the sensor to the SDS ecu, and use the test function on the ECU to be sure the magnets were "seen" before buttoning it all up.

Today will be a lazy day- picking up the garage, seeing who took whose tools home, doing some more prep work the engine install. I'd like to get the fuel tank back in, and maybe test it. I'll just run a hose from the 2 out ports of the fuel pressure regulator to make a fuel loop, and power the fuel pump directly from the battery, and after dumping a gallon or 2 of fuel in the tank, let it circulate to check for leaks. I could also get the interior back togather, back pad back in, seat in, vac that up a little. Next week for work is probably 60 hrs and 1000+ miles on the road, so monday night will be my only option to make more progress after today. Maybe next saturday I can get a couple friends over to get the motor in, and we'll have some tuning adventures to report on.

Attached image(s)
Attached Image
+Quote Post
ottox914
post Aug 7 2006, 06:27 AM
Post #57

The glory that once was.

Slow progress on sunday. Slept in. Dad came by, we had a beer on the deck. . Some friends called up for golf and dinner. I got some metal patches painted and installed on the engine tin, re-did the fuel pump instal- again. I wasn't happy with the filter, it was for a 75-76 car, and the inlet/outlet were not the right sizes for the 3/8 line I was using from the tank to the filter, and from filter to pump. A "purolator F21111 has the right size inlet/outlet, so finally tracked that down, changed some more fuel lines, and the tank is almost in. Rinced the it out, and test fit the tank again, the fuel outlets need just a little twist to line up perfectly with the new hose runs.

Attached image(s)
+Quote Post
ottox914
post Aug 7 2006, 06:33 AM
Post #58

The glory that once was.

Here's a shot of the new mini starter- looks good if you ask me!

The to-do list is still a long one- finish up the final checks and wire runs on the engine itself. Pull the front fan housing, alternator, fan and re-allign the sensor. Do the final adjustments to the fuel lines and install tank, test the fuel system for leaks. Stuff the motor/trans in, do CV's, exhaust, install all the intake manifolds, ITB's, linkage, fuel lines, wideband sensor and wireing, and hit the key!

Monday is my only night to work on it this week, we'll see what the weekend holds.

Attached image(s)
Attached Image
+Quote Post
ottox914
post Aug 7 2006, 09:22 PM
Post #59

The glory that once was.

Long day driving a desk, but I did make it to the garage for a bit. Confirmed that the magnets are all "seen". They are seen by the sensor for just a couple degrees of crank movement, and when I was testing them last night, with the plugs in, the compression was enough to cause the motor to spin past the point of recognition, and it seemed as though the sync magnet was not registering. I pulled the plugs this pm and tried the test again, and with the ability to more smoothly, slowly turn the engine over, all magnets registered just fine. Also did a little detail work, routing and securing the hall sensor wire, and taping up the oil pressure hole.

There is a big, odd factory grommet to go here, mine had long since rotted away. So, I put several layers of aluminim tape over the hole, one on top of the other. This is the tape used in the HVAC industry to seal ducts after the install. After about 3-4 layers of this, I topped it off with some black racer tape. Looks kinda bad close up, but once the engine is in the car, bending over the fender to look inside, it'll look just fine for now.

First photo is initial layers of aluminum tape.
Second photo is start of black tape.
Third photo is finished job.

To the right can be seen the plug for the dizzy that the fearless fabricator came up with to seal the hole. I took it out and shot it black to keep it from rusting a little, as it was bare metal when he got done with it.

Attached image(s)
Attached Image Attached Image Attached Image
+Quote Post
ottox914
post Aug 17 2006, 07:12 AM
Post #60

The glory that once was.

More progress but no sparky just yet. The engine is in the car, and the bottom side work is all done. Kerry Hunter is installed, wideband installed, clutch/speedo, ground strap installed. Started work on the top side, and the drivers side ITB is in, all wireing on that side is done. Working now on the middle of the motor wireing, and have still the passinger side ITB to mount and wireing on that side to finalize. Need to make some plug wires, the ones in the photos are for show/test fitting/routing.

So, on to some pics-

first photo is the underside, ceramic coated KH system, I wrapped it also to keep the heat down. wideband sensor installed

second photo- I couldn't stand it anymore, I dusted off the trunk lid, shined up the bumper, polished the supertrapp a little, and had to take a shot- its looking like a nice 914 again, rather than a pile of parts.

Attached image(s)
+Quote Post

4 Pages V < 1 2 3 4 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 14th May 2024 - 04:02 AM