Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

2 Pages V  1 2 >  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> my exhaust and heat exchangers, comment?
BigDBass
post Jun 16 2006, 10:38 AM
Post #1

Dumb Question Champion

Group: Members
Member No.: 5,405
Region Association: Upper MidWest

With my car on a lift for the first time, I naturally noticed a few things...

Are these anything to be immediately concerned about or just "when I get to it"?

hole in exhaust
Attached Image

cracked almost all the way through
Attached Image
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
Cap'n Krusty
post Jun 16 2006, 10:42 AM
Post #2

Cap'n Krusty

Member No.: 2,246
Region Association: Central California

That line you have circled in the 2nd picture is a seam where the heater "horn" bolts to the heat exchanger. One bolt on the bottom, one on the top. As for picture #1, the shock looks like junk. Oh, and there's a hole in the muffler. The Cap'n
+Quote Post
SLITS
post Jun 16 2006, 10:46 AM
Post #3

"This Utah shit is HARSH!"

Group: Benefactors
Member No.: 1,696
Region Association: None

"Carbon Monoxide..That ol' Detroit perfume". You'll go to sleep peacefully behind the wheel and won't feel a thing.

Ok, it ain't that bad but exhaust systems are designed to move exhaust gasses away from the cabin so the above doesn't happen. Leaks can get ya.

+Quote Post
Bleyseng
post Jun 16 2006, 10:53 AM
Post #4

Aircooled Baby!

Member No.: 24
Region Association: Pacific Northwest

If ya gots a welder you can patch it so it lasts for another month of so...time for a set of Stainless Steel heat exchangers and a new muffler or Bursch.

and a set of quality shocks!
+Quote Post
BigDBass
post Jun 16 2006, 10:59 AM
Post #5

Dumb Question Champion

The rear shocks are KYBs. It'll be awhile before I can put Bils or Konis on.

I guess I'll just have to keep the top off for CO venting, as my 914 spending has been frozen by bosslady. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/sad.gif) Paypal donations accepted (IMG:style_emoticons/default/wink.gif)

I thought I saw somewhere that 1.7/1.8 SS heat exchangers were somewhat compatible with the 2.0?
+Quote Post
rhodyguy
post Jun 16 2006, 11:06 AM
Post #6

Chimp Sanctuary NW. Check it out.

Member No.: 378
Region Association: Galt's Gulch

not the muffler!! you will need one for 1.7/1.8 hes. disregard the pm with the wife rules in place.

k
+Quote Post
BigDBass
post Jun 16 2006, 11:10 AM
Post #7

Dumb Question Champion

Can I tape up the seam or something?
+Quote Post
rhodyguy
post Jun 16 2006, 11:21 AM
Post #8

Chimp Sanctuary NW. Check it out.

Member No.: 378
Region Association: Galt's Gulch

a muffler hanger too. the he to muffler gaskets are sized differently. mismatching the stuff is the wrong approach imho.

k
+Quote Post
So.Cal.914
post Jun 16 2006, 12:43 PM
Post #9

"...And it has a front trunk too."

Member No.: 1,658

Maybe someone on here has a used a/m exhaust you can have. I got the worst head ache, nausea and burning lungs from a simular situation. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/icon8.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/barf.gif)
+Quote Post
BigDBass
post Jun 20 2006, 09:58 PM
Post #10

Dumb Question Champion

When I gave up and paid someone to replace my rear brake lines, he removed the piece pictured below and didn't reinstall it cuz "I didn't need it anyway"... What is it?
Attached Image

So I have 3 options at this point:

1. Leave it as is until I get around to it sometime, and save some money.
2. Spend $150-200 and get a used driver side stock H/E and a used Bursch
3. Spend $450 and get used SSI 2.0 H/E's and a used Bursch

I've read nearly every thread and it seems that SSI/Bursch setup is a good value solution, but I hope it's not too loud.

My wife is open to the expenditure IFF this is something I really should take care of sooner rather than later.

Is this something that's ok to live with for now in terms of safety, reliability, roadworthiness, and save the $ and wife's goodwill until the next involuntary jackstand session? Once again, please advise (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smile.gif)
+Quote Post
Bleyseng
post Jun 20 2006, 10:17 PM
Post #11

Aircooled Baby!

Member No.: 24
Region Association: Pacific Northwest

The pic is of a heat flappers which controls the heat either going into the cabin or being dumped to the outside air.

I would seriously look into good SS heat exchangers and a Bursch. They aren't too loud or for quiet you can get a Dansk banana muffler.

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/thumb3d.gif)
+Quote Post
BigDBass
post Jun 21 2006, 10:54 AM
Post #12

Dumb Question Champion

So I guess need more pipes/plumbing than just the H/E's and muffler. Flapper boxes, some gaskets, what else?
+Quote Post
Brando
post Jun 21 2006, 10:59 AM
Post #13

BUY MY SPARE KIDNEY!!!

Member No.: 2,648
Region Association: Southern California

QUOTE(BigDBass @ Jun 20 2006, 08:58 PM) *

When I gave up and paid someone to replace my rear brake lines, he removed the piece pictured below and didn't reinstall it cuz "I didn't need it anyway"... What is it?
Attached Image

So I have 3 options at this point:

1. Leave it as is until I get around to it sometime, and save some money.
2. Spend $150-200 and get a used driver side stock H/E and a used Bursch
3. Spend $450 and get used SSI 2.0 H/E's and a used Bursch

I've read nearly every thread and it seems that SSI/Bursch setup is a good value solution, but I hope it's not too loud.

My wife is open to the expenditure IFF this is something I really should take care of sooner rather than later.

Is this something that's ok to live with for now in terms of safety, reliability, roadworthiness, and save the $ and wife's goodwill until the next involuntary jackstand session? Once again, please advise (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smile.gif)

#3. The 2.0 SSIs are a good upgrade. Get an engman 2.0 muffler hanger. A used Bursch is always good too. If the muffler part explodes on them (as they so commonly do) you can switch to a glasspack for fun, or replace with another shoddy muffler. I'll be going to straight pipe...
+Quote Post
Chris Pincetich
post Jun 21 2006, 12:22 PM
Post #14

B-)

Member No.: 4,907
Region Association: Northern California

I am in a similar situation = leaky HEs and cabin fumes. I have solved this probelm by removing BOTH of the pieces like you showed with the heater flaps extending into the cabin. This entry point for the heater air is how the majority of fumes get in the cabin. HEs without a good seal (read most 30 yr old steel pipes) will leak exhaust into the "isoalted" hot air tubes which head through the flapper valves and into the cabin. I plugged them both. No heat, but also less CO. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/beerchug.gif)
+Quote Post
Air_Cooled_Nut
post Jun 22 2006, 10:04 AM
Post #15

914 Ronin - 914 owner who lost his 914club.com

Member No.: 584

Okay, wait a sec. Those flappers allow air that is bled into the HE's (head exchangers) to exit i.e. there's always a flow of air through the HE's. This helps keep that part of the system from getting too hot. Air-cooled VW's use the exact same system.

When you 'turn on' the heater, air is sucked from the engine bay then pushed through the HE's. You cannot get CO or CO2 or NO or other engine exhaust into the HE's unless it's from the car in front of you. If the HE's are like mine and not fully sealed to the exhaust pipes then you'll simply lose air flow out these leaks and receive less air into the cabin since the HE's will be PRESSURIZED with the air coming from the engine bay (IMG:style_emoticons/default/wink.gif) Any smells you're getting would be coming from stuff burning off within the engine bay. Again, if your HE's are like mine and you have oil leaking from your engine then you can get oil inside your HE's and this will cause a bad smell (as my g/f told me once, "You smell like car."). Also, oil leaking on the exhaust and HE's will burn off and cause smoke/fumes. If such fumes are generated at the front of the HE's, like the area where the lower engine tin ends, or oil leaks on the engine itself that are under the engine tin, then those fumes can get sucked in to a leaky HE where the air enters the HE from the fan housing. It doesn't take much at all to create a bad smell.

On replacing/re-installing those parts, YES, put them back in even if you don't use your HE's! And that's not only my opinion but that also of a certifed VW dealership mechanic of 25+ years (those years of air-cooled VW's, BTW). If you don't want to use your heater, fine, remove the flexible hose that connects to the firewall. Of course, if you run a header (no HE's) then this arguement is moot.

BTW, my engine and new tranny are no longer dripping oil so I now have a non-smelly -- but still leaky -- heater (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smile.gif)
+Quote Post
maf914
post Jun 22 2006, 11:06 AM
Post #16

Not a Guru!

Member No.: 632

If the exhaust pipe portion of the heat exchanger has rusted through you will get exhaust gases into the warm air flowing through the exterior portion of the heat exhangers. I think the exhaust gas pressure is greated r than the heater air pressure so an exhaust leak will enter the heat exchanger.

I agree that oil dripping onto the heat exchangers will add its own fragrence to the heater air supply. I've been aware of this in my clothes after a long drive with the heater on.
+Quote Post
Air_Cooled_Nut
post Jun 22 2006, 11:23 AM
Post #17

914 Ronin - 914 owner who lost his 914club.com

Member No.: 584

QUOTE(maf914 @ Jun 22 2006, 10:06 AM) *

If the exhaust pipe portion of the heat exchanger has rusted through you will get exhaust gases into the warm air flowing through the exterior portion of the heat exhangers. I think the exhaust gas pressure is greated r than the heater air pressure so an exhaust leak will enter the heat exchanger...

An obvious observation and correct. With such a situation I would imagine the HE's would be extremely loose and the whole system in dire need of replacement.
+Quote Post
BigDBass
post Jun 23 2006, 04:55 PM
Post #18

Dumb Question Champion

The muffler, other than that one hole, is solid otherwise.
The HE's aren't so good, and they are pretty loosely fitting at this point.

What can I use to plug/cover the flexible heat hose that won't burn or melt? (IMG:style_emoticons/default/blowup.gif)
+Quote Post
JPB
post Jun 23 2006, 06:00 PM
Post #19

The Crimson Rocket smiles in your general direction.

Member No.: 5,107

Maximise your budget and minimize your problem by installing a set of headers with no HEs; that is, if ya don't drive it it the winter.

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/beer.gif) Purify, minimize and enjoy; thats the Purist Minimalist approach!
+Quote Post
Dr Evil
post Jun 23 2006, 07:49 PM
Post #20

Send me your transmission!

Member No.: 1,372
Region Association: MidAtlantic Region

I guess I will be looking at Brians cars for parts for you tomarrow (IMG:style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif)
+Quote Post

2 Pages V  1 2 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 28th May 2024 - 05:59 PM