Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> It cranks then a loud metalic pop
Ratt
post Oct 3 2003, 04:50 PM
Post #1

Group: Members
Member No.: 1,136

Monday, I think it was I posted about the loud bang. well it wasnt the battery. it is still good. today I got a few minutes, so i connected the battery back on, and went to crank the motor. I now cranks, buton the fourth crank, it makes like a hollow Pop sound from the 1,2 side of the motor. It never fired up and then I saw white smoke coming up from under the car, crawled under and it is seaping out of the exhaust pipes. Anyone know what this might be? Im waiting to ge tme jack stands back so I can really get under the car.
Thanks
Andy Rattley
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
ChrisReale
post Oct 3 2003, 05:11 PM
Post #2

Sleazy

Member No.: 176

Do a Valve adjustment. Is your distributor off by 180 degrees?
+Quote Post
ArtechnikA
post Oct 3 2003, 05:22 PM
Post #3

rich herzog

Member No.: 513
Region Association: None

QUOTE(Ratt @ Oct 3 2003, 02:50 PM)
It now cranks, but on the fourth crank, it makes like a hollow Pop sound from the 1,2 side of the motor. It never fired up and then I saw white smoke coming up from under the car, crawled under and it is seeping out of the exhaust pipes.

glad it's not the battery; these cars do not need any acid baths !
-sounds- like a dropped exhaust seat or similar bad valve problem; we can hope it's not that either. attempting a valve adjustment on that side of the engine should tell you a lot.
+Quote Post
McMark
post Oct 3 2003, 06:56 PM
Post #4

914 Freak!

Group: Retired Admin
Member No.: 419
Region Association: None

I'll second the distributor being 180 degrees out. swap the 1 and 3 plug wires at the cap and swap the 2 and 4. See if things sound any better.
+Quote Post
TheCabinetmaker
post Oct 6 2003, 01:38 PM
Post #5

I drive my car everyday

Member No.: 666

If the car turns over, do a compression check on all cylinders. That will point you towards the bad cylinder. Then pull the valve covers and check for a valve that has excessive clearance (like a half inch or better) Lock one wheel, rotate other wheel with car in 5th gear, and watch the entire valve operation on all cylinders. Problems with a dropped seat will show up there. Hopefully you did not damage the piston.
+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 22nd May 2024 - 02:34 AM