Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: It cranks then a loud metalic pop
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Ratt
Monday, I think it was I posted about the loud bang. well it wasnt the battery. it is still good. today I got a few minutes, so i connected the battery back on, and went to crank the motor. I now cranks, buton the fourth crank, it makes like a hollow Pop sound from the 1,2 side of the motor. It never fired up and then I saw white smoke coming up from under the car, crawled under and it is seaping out of the exhaust pipes. Anyone know what this might be? Im waiting to ge tme jack stands back so I can really get under the car.
Thanks
Andy Rattley
ChrisReale
Do a Valve adjustment. Is your distributor off by 180 degrees?
ArtechnikA
QUOTE(Ratt @ Oct 3 2003, 02:50 PM)
It now cranks, but on the fourth crank, it makes like a hollow Pop sound from the 1,2 side of the motor. It never fired up and then I saw white smoke coming up from under the car, crawled under and it is seeping out of the exhaust pipes.

glad it's not the battery; these cars do not need any acid baths !
-sounds- like a dropped exhaust seat or similar bad valve problem; we can hope it's not that either. attempting a valve adjustment on that side of the engine should tell you a lot.
McMark
I'll second the distributor being 180 degrees out. swap the 1 and 3 plug wires at the cap and swap the 2 and 4. See if things sound any better.
TheCabinetmaker
If the car turns over, do a compression check on all cylinders. That will point you towards the bad cylinder. Then pull the valve covers and check for a valve that has excessive clearance (like a half inch or better) Lock one wheel, rotate other wheel with car in 5th gear, and watch the entire valve operation on all cylinders. Problems with a dropped seat will show up there. Hopefully you did not damage the piston.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.