Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

> Yet another Oil Temp Post
Howard
post Jun 28 2006, 10:47 AM
Post #1

Incontin(g)ent Member

Group: Benefactors
Member No.: 943
Region Association: None

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/dead horse.gif) Yeah, I know.
Took the 2.0 on last weekend's 'cruise' with the Ferrari guys. There was one stretch of straight good road about 25 miles long and the group took off. Knew there was no chance of keeping up, but figured they would attract any CHP types, so leaned on the pedal a bit.

Ran at about 5k in 5th, with a short trip to 5500. Car ran great, faster the better, but chickened out when I remembered it's a 30+ year old car. That, and oil temp hit 265, about 3/4 of the way to 'hot' (factory gauge), highest I have ever seen in this car. No problems, no smells, no oil consumption, etc.

Tough conditions, 2000 ft elevation, air temp close to 100 along that stretch. Timing advanced a bit over stock since I like the way it jumps from steady throttle. Have a rear mounted cooler, 15/40 Castrol GTX (claims no viscosity breakdown until 325 degrees).

Should I be afraid?

User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post

Posts in this topic
Howard   Yet another Oil Temp Post   Jun 28 2006, 10:47 AM
Aaron Cox   thats pretty warm.... you can always move your co...   Jun 28 2006, 10:49 AM
bernbomb914   I use royal purple syn. because it wont break down...   Jun 28 2006, 10:58 AM
gary gartner   Howard, We had a similar conversation at Neptune...   Jun 28 2006, 11:37 AM
Howard  

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 30th May 2024 - 03:23 PM