Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Yet another Oil Temp Post
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Howard
dead horse.gif Yeah, I know.
Took the 2.0 on last weekend's 'cruise' with the Ferrari guys. There was one stretch of straight good road about 25 miles long and the group took off. Knew there was no chance of keeping up, but figured they would attract any CHP types, so leaned on the pedal a bit.

Ran at about 5k in 5th, with a short trip to 5500. Car ran great, faster the better, but chickened out when I remembered it's a 30+ year old car. That, and oil temp hit 265, about 3/4 of the way to 'hot' (factory gauge), highest I have ever seen in this car. No problems, no smells, no oil consumption, etc.

Tough conditions, 2000 ft elevation, air temp close to 100 along that stretch. Timing advanced a bit over stock since I like the way it jumps from steady throttle. Have a rear mounted cooler, 15/40 Castrol GTX (claims no viscosity breakdown until 325 degrees).

Should I be afraid?

Aaron Cox
thats pretty warm....

you can always move your cooler up front.....
bernbomb914
I use royal purple syn. because it wont break down untell over 400 degrees. we found when we were racing the old type 4 super vees that we tripled the bearing life (from 3 hrs to 9hrs) so I use it in all my cars now.

Bernie
gary gartner
Howard,
We had a similar conversation at Neptune's Net (aftre the "hose" viewing)about my 75 2.0 running around that same place on the stock temp guage.
and I thought you suggested retarding the timing a "tad" would help it run cooler.
or is my memory failing me (again)?????
Gary
ptravnic
Didn't Jake Raby analyze diff oil types & oil temps as they vary w/ambient temps as part of his cross country odyssey?
Howard
QUOTE(gary gartner @ Jun 28 2006, 10:37 AM) *

Howard,
We had a similar conversation at Neptune's Net (aftre the "hose" viewing)about my 75 2.0 running around that same place on the stock temp guage.
and I thought you suggested retarding the timing a "tad" would help it run cooler.
or is my memory failing me (again)?????
Gary

Nope, that was me. I just set mine back to 'summer'. smile.gif
Just like the way it feels more advanced, and never saw it this high before.

dekman
Gee thats funny....I believe I passed you on that same section of road at ~130mph and my oil temp gauge read 190 degrees! idea.gif Maybe it's time for a front cooler Howie? welder.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.