Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

> Model Specific Information

914/4: 70 71 72 73 74 75 76 914/6: 70 71 72

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Plate holders, Now I'm REALLY getting obscure!
Pat Garvey
post Jun 28 2006, 04:23 PM
Post #1

Do I or don't I...........?

Group: Members
Member No.: 5,765
Region Association: North East States

Was cleaning up on my 73T today (yeah, I know a Porsche!) & noticed that the license plate holder is "cad" plated (or some such iteration of cad). Looked at my 914 plate & can't remember what its original finish was. Sometime through the years I remember stripping & painting it.

Anyone have an orig?

Attached image(s)
Attached Image
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
1970 Neun vierzehn
post Jun 28 2006, 04:43 PM
Post #2

Advanced Member

Member No.: 5,727

My '70 was black painted steel. It became rusted through the years, and I replaced it with an exact duplicate from the VW parts bin. What I use on the back of the 914 was used on 1978 VW Sciroccos. The only difference, the VW part is plastic (IMG:style_emoticons/default/WTF.gif) . Seeing as over the almost thirty years I've been closely associated with a VW dealership, I've seen dealers mount license plate brackets with a "what's ever available" attitude. If the (new)car arrives w/o a bracket (not uncommon), the service department reaches for whatever fits. I think there is probably a good deal of variation in that part.
+Quote Post
Pat Garvey
post Jun 28 2006, 05:31 PM
Post #3

QUOTE(1970 Neun vierzehn @ Jun 28 2006, 06:43 PM) *

My '70 was black painted steel. It became rusted through the years, and I replaced it with an exact duplicate from the VW parts bin. What I use on the back of the 914 was used on 1978 VW Sciroccos. The only difference, the VW part is plastic (IMG:style_emoticons/default/WTF.gif) . Seeing as over the almost thirty years I've been closely associated with a VW dealership, I've seen dealers mount license plate brackets with a "what's ever available" attitude. If the (new)car arrives w/o a bracket (not uncommon), the service department reaches for whatever fits. I think there is probably a good deal of variation in that part.

Paul,

You're going to hate me for this.....

Our 82 Scirroco had a METAL rear plate holder! Still have it, because the subsequent owner (my neighbor) didn't like it. It's black painted metal. Guess where it came from???? Sorry.

Attached image(s)
Attached Image
+Quote Post
1970 Neun vierzehn
post Jun 28 2006, 05:44 PM
Post #4

Advanced Member

.....whatever is in the parts bin. I'd bet that items like license plate brackets, radios, wheel/tire packages, antennae, were swapped around, substituted, and installed based on what was expedient at the time, especially during the early '70s when there seemed to be more leeway w/regards to dealer-installed bits and pieces. If you recall, that Scirocco that you purchased HAD to be dealer-traded to get what you wanted, so that's probably why it had a different bracket on it.
+Quote Post
Pat Garvey
post Jun 28 2006, 06:58 PM
Post #5

QUOTE(1970 Neun vierzehn @ Jun 28 2006, 07:44 PM) *

.....whatever is in the parts bin. I'd bet that items like license plate brackets, radios, wheel/tire packages, antennae, were swapped around, substituted, and installed based on what was expedient at the time, especially during the early '70s when there seemed to be more leeway w/regards to dealer-installed bits and pieces. If you recall, that Scirocco that you purchased HAD to be dealer-traded to get what you wanted, so that's probably why it had a different bracket on it.

Uhh, ya got me there! Don't remember that. I would guess that someone was digging into the corporate archives, eh? Slow night?

Attached image(s)
Attached Image
+Quote Post
1970 Neun vierzehn
post Jun 28 2006, 07:50 PM
Post #6

Advanced Member

Pat,
As a matter of fact, it's been rather busy. Anyway,I remember the cars you purchased. That dark red Scirocco that you bought, I personally went after it to ensure that it would meet our mutually high standards (no dings, scratches, blemishes, scuffs marks, correct equipment, inconsequential miles, etc.). The variation in such a simple item such as a metal vs. plastic license bracket 10+ years after our 914s were delivered points again to the vagaries inherent in older cars.

Paulie
+Quote Post
Jasfsmith
post Jun 29 2006, 07:31 AM
Post #7

Member No.: 2,882

QUOTE(Pat Garvey @ Jun 28 2006, 02:23 PM) *

Was cleaning up on my 73T today (yeah, I know a Porsche!) & noticed that the license plate holder is "cad" plated (or some such iteration of cad). Looked at my 914 plate & can't remember what its original finish was. Sometime through the years I remember stripping & painting it.

Anyone have an orig?

Semi-gloss black. I've got a freash one with a Porsche sticker still on it. No idea why I have it. Picked it up years ago when the local P/A dealer closed.
+Quote Post
914runnow
post Jun 30 2006, 06:33 PM
Post #8

Member No.: 1,948
Region Association: None

QUOTE(Jasfsmith @ Jun 29 2006, 05:31 AM) *

Anyone have an orig?

Semi-gloss black. I've got a freash one with a Porsche sticker still on it. No idea why I have it. Picked it up years ago when the local P/A dealer closed.

Dittoooooooooo!!!!!!!!! On above...Mine is a Euro 914 one....
+Quote Post
Pat Garvey
post Jun 30 2006, 06:43 PM
Post #9

QUOTE(Jasfsmith @ Jun 29 2006, 09:31 AM) *

Anyone have an orig?

Interesting.....
I was really hoping it was plated, as I'm looking for an excuse to get another tound of parts back to factory. I have a number of parts that have been polished, so the original cad plating, which was shot, is gone. Did a bunch, need to do more.

Thanks for the info. I'll respray mine in black - it's in primer now.
+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 4th May 2024 - 01:49 PM