Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

> Back in the 914 game!, Taking delivery of a '74 2.0 next week
RoadGlue
post Jun 30 2006, 12:07 PM
Post #1

Sonoma County Gear Head

Group: Admin
Member No.: 108
Region Association: Northern California

Hi everyone,

I've been in lurk mode for sometime, as my '71 914 has been on jack stands and semi-gutted for well over a year now. The plan was to fix some rust problems while putting a hotter motor in, upgrading to 5-lug, upgrading the suspension bits and steering bits, stiffening up the chassis with Mark's kit, upgrading the brakes and rebuilding various bits (pedal cluster, etc).

I had also planned on wrapping the project up this summer, and I've spent exactly zero minutes touching the car in the past eight months. Bah. The solution? To buy another 914 of course! My good friend has just had a baby, and he needs to off load the car and offered it to me first. First class sort of guy!

It's a 1974 2.0 with D-jet, Fuch wheels, upgraded suspension (heavy springs, stiffer torsion bars, wicked big front sway bar, etc), new seals all around the cab, and I know the service history because I helped the current owner bring the car back from the dead. All the d-jet and rubber fuel lines (from the tank to the engine) have been replaced in the past year.

Problems are pretty slight. The engine smokes a little on decel, and it's leaking oil form the pushrod tube seals onto the exhaust. I'll probably just fix the major oil leaks asap, and then rebuild another 2.0 I have sitting in the garage even though I don't think the car's motor has any serious problems. It just sat for a while, so the seals are shot. It runs smooth as silk, and has plenty of power.

The interior is tan, and is in a fair/poor state. I have the black interior that's in really good shape (including the carpet), from my old 914 and will swap it all over.

Other parts to install that I already have in my garage:

- Rebuilt pedal cluster
- New Turbo Tie Rod kit
- Aluminum Cross Member (This can wait)
- Engman's custom exhaust hanger
- Engman's aluminum pedal board
- CHT/Oil Pressure/... some other gauge too (it's been a while since I looked)
- Sporty Steering wheel
- GT Door Panels
- All the stuff for going 5-lug including the wheels and brakes (though this is low on my priority list)
- More more more!

Here are a few pics of the car:

(IMG:http://static.flickr.com/22/178156559_76d2f71faf.jpg)

(IMG:http://static.flickr.com/65/178156606_e416182af7.jpg)

Say goodbye to that steering wheel!
(IMG:http://static.flickr.com/22/178156308_64ed55afa6.jpg)

Woo hoo! (can you tell that I'm happy?)
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post

Posts in this topic
RoadGlue   Back in the 914 game!   Jun 30 2006, 12:07 PM
Brad Roberts   COOL!! This was the car out of Novato cor...   Jun 30 2006, 12:12 PM
RoadGlue  
  Jun 30 2006, 01:55 PM
McMark   Welcome Back Randy! We need to get some event...   Jun 30 2006, 12:56 PM
RoadGlue  
  Jun 30 2006, 01:54 PM
lapuwali  

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 16th May 2024 - 11:01 PM