Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Back in the 914 game!
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
RoadGlue
Hi everyone,

I've been in lurk mode for sometime, as my '71 914 has been on jack stands and semi-gutted for well over a year now. The plan was to fix some rust problems while putting a hotter motor in, upgrading to 5-lug, upgrading the suspension bits and steering bits, stiffening up the chassis with Mark's kit, upgrading the brakes and rebuilding various bits (pedal cluster, etc).

I had also planned on wrapping the project up this summer, and I've spent exactly zero minutes touching the car in the past eight months. Bah. The solution? To buy another 914 of course! My good friend has just had a baby, and he needs to off load the car and offered it to me first. First class sort of guy!

It's a 1974 2.0 with D-jet, Fuch wheels, upgraded suspension (heavy springs, stiffer torsion bars, wicked big front sway bar, etc), new seals all around the cab, and I know the service history because I helped the current owner bring the car back from the dead. All the d-jet and rubber fuel lines (from the tank to the engine) have been replaced in the past year.

Problems are pretty slight. The engine smokes a little on decel, and it's leaking oil form the pushrod tube seals onto the exhaust. I'll probably just fix the major oil leaks asap, and then rebuild another 2.0 I have sitting in the garage even though I don't think the car's motor has any serious problems. It just sat for a while, so the seals are shot. It runs smooth as silk, and has plenty of power.

The interior is tan, and is in a fair/poor state. I have the black interior that's in really good shape (including the carpet), from my old 914 and will swap it all over.

Other parts to install that I already have in my garage:

- Rebuilt pedal cluster
- New Turbo Tie Rod kit
- Aluminum Cross Member (This can wait)
- Engman's custom exhaust hanger
- Engman's aluminum pedal board
- CHT/Oil Pressure/... some other gauge too (it's been a while since I looked)
- Sporty Steering wheel
- GT Door Panels
- All the stuff for going 5-lug including the wheels and brakes (though this is low on my priority list)
- More more more!

Here are a few pics of the car:

IPB Image

IPB Image

Say goodbye to that steering wheel!
IPB Image

Woo hoo! (can you tell that I'm happy?)
Brad Roberts
COOL!!

This was the car out of Novato correct?

B
BMartin914
QUOTE(RoadGlue @ Jun 30 2006, 10:07 AM) *

I had also planned on wrapping the project up this summer, and I've spent exactly zero minutes touching the car in the past eight months. Bah. The solution? To buy another 914 of course!

Where have I heard that before??? idea.gif
Mueller
NICE !!!!!

I'm jeoulous chair.gif

glad to see that you have not gone too far into Fiat land and given up on us biggrin.gif
RoadGlue
QUOTE(Brad Roberts @ Jun 30 2006, 11:12 AM) *

COOL!!

This was the car out of Novato correct?

Nope! It's a Santa Rosa car. It had sat around for sometime before I helped my friend rescue it from his friend's step father. The car hasn't been at any of the 914 events (at least not in the past decade), so it'll be a new face.
RoadGlue
QUOTE(Mueller @ Jun 30 2006, 11:26 AM) *

NICE !!!!!

I'm jeoulous chair.gif

glad to see that you have not gone too far into Fiat land and given up on us biggrin.gif

Hi Mike,

It's the motorcycle that has really kept me from doing anything with cars. Not much compares to 150 HP @ 400lbs.

I think I've done enough of the Fiat 'thang for a while though, and I'll be putting my '73 Sedan up on the market come next week:

IPB Image

I'm really out of the loop around this place. I haven't any idea what you have or have been working on lately. Suppose I had better start reading. smile.gif
McMark
Welcome Back Randy!

We need to get some events rolling this summer. driving.gif
RoadGlue
QUOTE(McMark @ Jun 30 2006, 11:56 AM) *

Welcome Back Randy!

We need to get some events rolling this summer. driving.gif

Hi Mark!

Yes we do. Perhaps sometime in July even. I probably only have a few weekends this summer that aren't already accounted for, but I'm sure we can squeeze a drive in sometime soonish.

About how many North Bay teenerphites hang out here?
SirAndy

Welcome Back Randy!

agree.gif
RoadGlue
QUOTE(SirAndy @ Jun 30 2006, 12:01 PM) *

Welcome Back Randy!

agree.gif

Thanks Andy!
JeffBowlsby
Welcome back buddy...good to see you came back for more...

biggrin.gif
RoadGlue
QUOTE(Jeff Bowlsby @ Jun 30 2006, 12:32 PM) *

Welcome back buddy...good to see you came back for more...

Thank you Jeff! Yeah, I'm a sucker for abuse. heh
lapuwali
As for events, there seems to be a wealth of "rallys" starting up, all more or less patterned after the California Melee. I just heard of a German one that I'm trying to run down, and Andrew Watry (Alfa guy, mostly into Berlinas) is kicking around the idea of running a short-ish one (120 miles) mostly in the East Bay, for "interesting cars".

You missed the BARF run, so perhaps we can meet on some other...
RoadGlue
QUOTE(lapuwali @ Jun 30 2006, 12:40 PM) *

Yep, I had never planned on going on the BARF run - just helped get the word out for my friend who organized it.

Did you go? Have fun? The pics look great.
lapuwali
QUOTE(RoadGlue @ Jun 30 2006, 12:43 PM) *

QUOTE(lapuwali @ Jun 30 2006, 12:40 PM) *

Yep, I had never planned on going on the BARF run - just helped get the word out for my friend who organized it.

Did you go? Have fun? The pics look great.

It was great. I'd not driven that particular car all that hard (2 years and maybe 1000 miles, the usual 914 story), so it was great to do that. The BARF guys are great, and a lot faster than I expected.
Air_Cooled_Nut
QUOTE(RoadGlue @ Jun 30 2006, 11:30 AM) *
It's the motorcycle that has really kept me from doing anything with cars. Not much compares to 150 HP @ 400lbs...

Yup. When I need an acceleration fix I jump on my motorcycle as well. Beats the snot outta most street cars...and it's an OLD GOLDWING laugh.gif
Air_Cooled_Nut
P.S. Nice ride...I'm envious!
RoadGlue

It was great. I'd not driven that particular car all that hard (2 years and maybe 1000 miles, the usual 914 story), so it was great to do that. The BARF guys are great, and a lot faster than I expected.

What car did you end up driving?
RoadGlue

Yup. When I need an acceleration fix I jump on my motorcycle as well. Beats the snot outta most street cars...and it's an OLD GOLDWING laugh.gif

Even old Goldwings are pretty darn fast!
lapuwali
QUOTE(RoadGlue @ Jun 30 2006, 12:54 PM) *

'71 914 with a carb'd 2.2 Type IV in it. I had way more torque to play with than the 1438cc FIAT Coupe I also have, which Mudge also discovered on this run isn't the hot ticket for this kind of event. That torque was just barely enough for me to keep Dave Voss' hot Brava in sight (and not always even then).
RoadGlue
QUOTE(lapuwali @ Jun 30 2006, 12:59 PM) *

QUOTE(RoadGlue @ Jun 30 2006, 12:54 PM) *

'71 914 with a carb'd 2.2 Type IV in it. I had way more torque to play with than the 1438cc FIAT Coupe I also have, which Mudge also discovered on this run isn't the hot ticket for this kind of event. That torque was just barely enough for me to keep Dave Voss' hot Brava in sight (and not always even then).

Are you headed up to Oregon for the Mirafiori.com event in July? I've been four times, and it's always a fun event. Sticking around in town this year though to go to the GP races at Seca though.
GWN7
Nice looking car smile.gif
nocones
Hiya Randy,

Nice looking 914! So are you going to keep working on the older one?

Lets get out for a ride soon. I've been piling the miles on my 600 and just got some fresh tires last week.

Cheers! beerchug.gif

RoadGlue
QUOTE(nocones @ Jun 30 2006, 02:12 PM) *

Hiya Randy,

Nice looking 914! So are you going to keep working on the older one?

Lets get out for a ride soon. I've been piling the miles on my 600 and just got some fresh tires last week.

Cheers! beerchug.gif

Sadly I'm going to retire the old one. I just don't have the time or energy to get it back on the road. I'll post it for sale once it's a roller again.

Yes, a ride would be great! Let's try in a few weeks. smile.gif
Gint
QUOTE(RoadGlue @ Jun 30 2006, 12:07 PM) *
The solution? To buy another 914 of course!

HA! laugh.gif

I'm not laughing at you, I'm laughing with you!

QUOTE(BMartin914 @ Jun 30 2006, 12:22 PM) *

QUOTE(RoadGlue @ Jun 30 2006, 10:07 AM) *

I had also planned on wrapping the project up this summer, and I've spent exactly zero minutes touching the car in the past eight months. Bah. The solution? To buy another 914 of course!

Where have I heard that before??? idea.gif

Hey Ben, shouldn't you be knitting a sweater or something?
Jeroen
good to see ya posting again!
GWN7
Need a roadglue windshield banner? I have a couple that I never used (not allowed here). smile.gif
RoadGlue
QUOTE(GWN7 @ Jul 1 2006, 09:34 PM) *

Need a roadglue windshield banner? I have a couple that I never used (not allowed here). smile.gif

There was a windshield banner? Yeah, I'd love to have one. How much??? Thank you!

I still have a few T-shirts that I wear around a bit, and a wall banner. smile.gif
GWN7
You going to the Wild West Classic next weekend?

If not, PM me a mailing address and I'll send it when I get to Porland.

I have to remember where I put the tube they are in.......
McMark
Randy, if you want to get in on the classic, I have a car seat and a hotel room. Leaving Thursday afternoon returning Sunday. Call in SICK!
RoadGlue
QUOTE(GWN7 @ Jul 1 2006, 10:08 PM) *

You going to the Wild West Classic next weekend?

If not, PM me a mailing address and I'll send it when I get to Porland.

I have to remember where I put the tube they are in.......

Bruce and Mark,

Sadly I won't be able to attend this year. We're trying to get our software app ready for public debut in two weeks, so the pressure is really on. Plus Sylvie and I have tickets to see one of our favorite bands at Slim's in SF on the 8th.

Bruce: I'll send you a PM now

Mark: Thank you for the really kind offer!
JPB
Stripped down, a Goldwing will fly!

dead horse.gif Ass spankin goodness; for a speed fix that is.
GWN7
Ok banner's packed (it's white BTW)

RoadGlue
QUOTE(GWN7 @ Jul 5 2006, 09:01 PM) *

Ok banner's packed (it's white BTW)

Great, thank you!
RoadGlue
Took delivery today! After climbing around underneath the car, I emerged with a check in hand. Was happy to see stainless steel heat exchangers, and not so happy about the oil everywhere. The car sat for five+ years, and the seals took a dive. I think I'll drop the motor in a few weekends and replace the pushrod seals and then adjust the valves at the same time. I need to reseat the exhaust, and I'm sure I'll find some loose studs. The joys (and there are many) of digging into a *new* 914!

IPB Image

IPB Image

Here are the oil covered stainless heat exchangers:

IPB Image

and one of the tan interior (soon to be black):

IPB Image

Yay!

RoadGlue
Oh, and check out this *cool*, *custom* exhaust bracket:

IPB Image
McMark
Front and rear main seals too? wink.gif

Tranny reseal? w00t.gif

HELLO! Paging Dirk Wright. Pick up the white phone!
RoadGlue
QUOTE(McMark @ Jul 6 2006, 12:47 AM) *

Tranny reseal? w00t.gif

OK fine, I'll do those too. hehe. I'll probably do them over at Soren's in a few weeks. Feel free to stop in!
McMark
Let me know when, call or PM. I'll come help out and see your new ride.
mudfoot76
QUOTE(RoadGlue @ Jul 6 2006, 03:58 AM) *

QUOTE(McMark @ Jul 6 2006, 12:47 AM) *

Tranny reseal? w00t.gif

OK fine, I'll do those too. hehe. I'll probably do them over at Soren's in a few weeks. Feel free to stop in!

Ya know, as long as you have it that far apart.... poke.gif

J/K, nice car, welcome back beer.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.