Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

> Valve adjustment problem, Seems like a timing issue.
redshift
post Oct 8 2003, 10:22 PM
Post #1

Bless the Hell out of you!

Group: Members
Member No.: 869

I have been trying to get my valves adjusted for almost a week, but seems like there must be a timing issue.

I wake up, and go pull my hair out for (today.. 15h30m) 12-16 hours, and then I get home, and damn... it's dark, and Crumley's closed like 6-7 hours ago..

My mechanic works a strict regime of 8am-12/1-5pm.

I can't get a ride this time of night to drop it off.

I am almost sure it's a timing problem. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smile.gif)

Is there a liquid, or like a gas additive that will adjust my valves? Can you take them out an adjust them? (maybe I could take the engine with me to work)

By the way, next life, I am coming back as a gold bricking moron welfare case, or an ardvark, I can't decide.

M
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
Replies(1 - 7)
3d914
post Oct 8 2003, 10:44 PM
Post #2

Member No.: 1,191
Region Association: Southwest Region

redshift,

Have you tried to do the adjustment yourself? There are two techniques I'm aware of; 1) based on TDC for each cyl (not my preferred method - it can be frustrating), and 2) opposing valves method (my personal favorite).

Adjusting valves are probably the most basic step in setting the timing, short of getting the dizzy in right. Once the valves are adjusted you should then check/set the dwell, and proceed with actual timing.

If you're having a "timing" problem with your mechanic, just think how the teener feels.

Enjoy!
+Quote Post
Bruce Allert
post Oct 8 2003, 10:48 PM
Post #3

Hellions asleep

Member No.: 441
Region Association: Pacific Northwest

Miles, if you were an ardvark you wouldn't have us, you wouldn't have the teener and you wouldn't have the fun & frustration you are now enjoying (IMG:style_emoticons/default/cool.gif) So, let me suggest that you go out, as soon as you get home from work tomorrow, put on yer coveralls, grab the 10mm wrench & screwdriver and drag yer ass under that car & adjust dem datburned valves (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smash.gif) There's yer time schedule & yer timing is set . (or wait till Saturday?) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/wavey.gif)
oh ya, & have a beer too (IMG:style_emoticons/default/beerchug.gif) I'll have one wit'cha

bruce
+Quote Post
redshift
post Oct 8 2003, 10:53 PM
Post #4

I can't take not having time to drive, I am going totally out of my mind..

I can't do my own valves here, space-time problem.

Saturday I will be working, Sunday, work, Monday work.. why don't they just call every day on the calendar "Work". (IMG:style_emoticons/default/headbang.gif)

Is there a famous suspension bridge anywhere near me, looking for something extremely tall, with a view. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/idea.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/agree.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/beerchug.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/cool_shades.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/happy11.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/flag.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/ninja.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/ohmy.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/lol2.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/boldblue.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/icon8.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/Yack.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/bs.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/mueba.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/huh.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smilie_pokal.gif)

M
+Quote Post
Jake Raby
post Oct 8 2003, 11:43 PM
Post #5

Engine Surgeon

Member No.: 1,095
Region Association: South East States

If you don't adjust them....they will adjust themselves...RIGHT THROUGH THE TOP OF THE CASE!
+Quote Post
redshift
post Oct 8 2003, 11:51 PM
Post #6

Not if'n it sits in the driveway!

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/finger.gif) Yack! Yack!

I know when it's time to do 'em, I do them by the book, and when it otherwise needs, this is the second adjustment, way loose, and 80 miles early.

And there it sits, rusting into hell, every moment... rust never sleeps..

OH MY GOD! I CAN'T SLEEP EITHER!

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/happy11.gif)M (IMG:style_emoticons/default/fighting19.gif)
+Quote Post
need4speed
post Oct 9 2003, 11:18 AM
Post #7

Member No.: 564

I'm told it's a good idea to keep a log -
Adjust the valves every so often, (1000 miles for the religious) - and record how far out of spec each one was prior to adjustment. If a given valve goes out of spec by a wide margin each time, there could be some problem at work (ie. you're not torqing the adjuster lock nut enough, or case studs are loosening, etc).
+Quote Post
Triadwest
post Oct 9 2003, 08:59 PM
Post #8

Member No.: 1,008

The top of the valve stem could be pitted. also the valve guides could be worn producing a wobble. Do a leak down if possible. It could be early signs of a head job.
+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 25th May 2024 - 05:54 AM