Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Valve adjustment problem
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
redshift
I have been trying to get my valves adjusted for almost a week, but seems like there must be a timing issue.

I wake up, and go pull my hair out for (today.. 15h30m) 12-16 hours, and then I get home, and damn... it's dark, and Crumley's closed like 6-7 hours ago..

My mechanic works a strict regime of 8am-12/1-5pm.

I can't get a ride this time of night to drop it off.

I am almost sure it's a timing problem. smile.gif

Is there a liquid, or like a gas additive that will adjust my valves? Can you take them out an adjust them? (maybe I could take the engine with me to work)

By the way, next life, I am coming back as a gold bricking moron welfare case, or an ardvark, I can't decide.

M
3d914
redshift,

Have you tried to do the adjustment yourself? There are two techniques I'm aware of; 1) based on TDC for each cyl (not my preferred method - it can be frustrating), and 2) opposing valves method (my personal favorite).

Adjusting valves are probably the most basic step in setting the timing, short of getting the dizzy in right. Once the valves are adjusted you should then check/set the dwell, and proceed with actual timing.

If you're having a "timing" problem with your mechanic, just think how the teener feels.

Enjoy!
Bruce Allert
Miles, if you were an ardvark you wouldn't have us, you wouldn't have the teener and you wouldn't have the fun & frustration you are now enjoying cool.gif So, let me suggest that you go out, as soon as you get home from work tomorrow, put on yer coveralls, grab the 10mm wrench & screwdriver and drag yer ass under that car & adjust dem datburned valves smash.gif There's yer time schedule & yer timing is set . (or wait till Saturday?) wavey.gif
oh ya, & have a beer too beerchug.gif I'll have one wit'cha

bruce
redshift
I can't take not having time to drive, I am going totally out of my mind..

I can't do my own valves here, space-time problem.

Saturday I will be working, Sunday, work, Monday work.. why don't they just call every day on the calendar "Work". headbang.gif

Is there a famous suspension bridge anywhere near me, looking for something extremely tall, with a view. idea.gif agree.gif beerchug.gif cool_shades.gif happy11.gif flag.gif ninja.gif ohmy.gif lol2.gif boldblue.gif icon8.gif Yack.gif bs.gif mueba.gif huh.gif smilie_pokal.gif

M
Jake Raby
If you don't adjust them....they will adjust themselves...RIGHT THROUGH THE TOP OF THE CASE!
redshift
Not if'n it sits in the driveway!

finger.gif Yack! Yack!

I know when it's time to do 'em, I do them by the book, and when it otherwise needs, this is the second adjustment, way loose, and 80 miles early.

And there it sits, rusting into hell, every moment... rust never sleeps..

OH MY GOD! I CAN'T SLEEP EITHER!

happy11.gifM fighting19.gif
need4speed
I'm told it's a good idea to keep a log -
Adjust the valves every so often, (1000 miles for the religious) - and record how far out of spec each one was prior to adjustment. If a given valve goes out of spec by a wide margin each time, there could be some problem at work (ie. you're not torqing the adjuster lock nut enough, or case studs are loosening, etc).
Triadwest
The top of the valve stem could be pitted. also the valve guides could be worn producing a wobble. Do a leak down if possible. It could be early signs of a head job.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.