Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Two random electrical questions, Brake and backup lights
BMXerror
post Jul 2 2006, 04:38 PM
Post #1

Group: Members
Member No.: 5,842

First, I just put a side shift tranny in an early car, but the electrical connectors for the backup light switch is different. Can I put the old backup light switch in the new tranny, because it looks like it threads in the same way?
Also, I pulled my master cylinder to replace it today, and noticed that there are two wires coming down right by it. One connects to the master cylinder, but the other is just hanging. I assume that the one that hooks into the MC is for the brake lights and the ground is through the case of the MC. Right? Anyone know what the other wire is for? It's just got a push on connector just like the one for the brake lights. Thanks for putting up with my ignorance.
Mark D.
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
JPB
post Jul 2 2006, 08:23 PM
Post #2

The Crimson Rocket smiles in your general direction.

Member No.: 5,107

Cool question since I have just gone from a 17mm-19mm master and have only one wire connection on the new master. Whats there ta do?
+Quote Post
BMXerror
post Jul 2 2006, 08:39 PM
Post #3

QUOTE(JPB @ Jul 2 2006, 07:23 PM) *

Cool question since I have just gone from a 17mm-19mm master and have only one wire connection on the new master. Whats there ta do?

Well, I've got a 17 and am going to 19, and both of them only have one connector.
(IMG:style_emoticons/default/confused24.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/confused24.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/confused24.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/confused24.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/confused24.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/confused24.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/confused24.gif)
Mark D.
+Quote Post
So.Cal.914
post Jul 2 2006, 08:49 PM
Post #4

"...And it has a front trunk too."

Member No.: 1,658
Region Association: None

The switsh on the M/C is not for your break lights it is to let you know if your M/C

fails (like you won't find out soon enough). I will look through my manual and edit

this post.

The wiring diagram shows a lead wire and a ground, sence I didn't know what year

I went with a 71. I believe that you can use the old back up light switch on your

new trans. Pull out and compare to make sure.
+Quote Post
BMXerror
post Jul 3 2006, 04:15 PM
Post #5

Thanks So Cal... 'Take it out and compare' is kinda obvious, huh? I feel like a dumbass now. I was just wondering if there was any reason that they made the backup light switches on the early and late model trannies incompatable. I'll just try it and see if it works today. The year is 1970 BTW. Thanks again.
Mark D.
+Quote Post
JPB
post Jul 3 2006, 05:29 PM
Post #6

The Crimson Rocket smiles in your general direction.

Member No.: 5,107

Ya that break failing light shure is handy. Thanks for the info and will soon discard the extra schmit. Who deeds them wires anyways.

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/beer.gif) Grassyas!
+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 16th May 2024 - 01:47 AM