Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Does anyone have these preset torque extensions?, Wondering if they make life easier.
URY914
post Jul 3 2006, 02:23 PM
Post #1

I built the lightest 914 in the history of mankind.
****************************************************************************************************

Group: Members
Member No.: 222
Region Association: None

I saw these today at my local tool store and almost bought them. Does anyone have a set or ever used them? The sales person at the store said they just started selling them. When I asked a few questions I got some stupid made up answers. If you don't know, just say so and don't give me any BS. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/mad.gif)

My question was, what happens when you reach the rated torque setting? How do they keep you from over tighting the lug nut?

"The unique design allows the length and diameter of the torque extension shaft to flex with each blow of the impact wrench once the specified torque is reached." (IMG:style_emoticons/default/WTF.gif)

What am I missing here? (IMG:style_emoticons/default/confused24.gif) Expain it to a 914 kinda guy, (IMG:style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif)

http://bizrate.lycos.com/oid451401712.html

Product Details: 12 Piece 1/2" Drive Metric & SAE Car Wheel Torque Socket Set:Torque Extension Bars: :Torque Extensions are designed for 1/2" Dr. impact wrench rated 380-420 ft.lb.; 3/4" Dr. impact wrench rated 750 ft.lb.; 1" Dr. impact wrench rated 1,500 ft.lb.: :The various drive sizes and torque limits allow use of any impact socket with a torque extension to match the different lug nut sizes found on vehicles: :Helps prevent over-torquing of wheel nuts and can minimize wheel distortion.: :The unique design allows the length and diameter of the torque extension shaft to flex with each blow of the impact wrench once the specified torque is reached.: :Accurate to within 4%. ::Size 17, 19 & 21mm Sockets; 13/16" socket; 17-21mm: 55-135 ft/lb (75-135Nm) torque Sockets (7pcs); 13/16": 100 ft/lb (135Nm) torque Socket

Attached image(s)
Attached Image
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
Brad Roberts
post Jul 3 2006, 02:26 PM
Post #2

914 Freak!

Member No.: 8

They work well. Discount tire uses them.

The shaft flexes at a predetermined rate and stops transmitting the impact gun load to the socket.

Not sure if I can explain it easier than that. I have used them. They work. It just feals weird not seeing a number or hearing a click.

B
+Quote Post
Dr Evil
post Jul 3 2006, 02:28 PM
Post #3

Send me your transmission!

Member No.: 1,372
Region Association: MidAtlantic Region

When the tq value is reached, the shaft acts like a shock absorber adn doesnt pas any more whoopass allong to the nut, it just flexes.

Ya dig?
+Quote Post
URY914
post Jul 3 2006, 02:30 PM
Post #4

****************************************************************************************************

If I use them with an electric impact wrench, do I watch the socket and when it stop rotating, it has reached the torque pre-set?
+Quote Post
Brad Roberts
post Jul 3 2006, 02:32 PM
Post #5

914 Freak!

Yes.

If it will help.. do like we did for the "kids" helping out at the shop or at the track:

Use a paint marker and paint one stripe down the extension or on your 19mm socket. This will help you keep track of what is happening.

B
+Quote Post
Cap'n Krusty
post Jul 3 2006, 02:35 PM
Post #6

Cap'n Krusty

Member No.: 2,246
Region Association: Central California

Use 'em on your Chebby wheels, not on something where you care about what happens. Makes the tire guys, many of whom couldn't get a job at Mc Donald's, "less" apt to screw up your wheels/rotors/lug nuts. The Cap'n
+Quote Post
URY914
post Jul 3 2006, 02:44 PM
Post #7

They sell them individually and I was thinking of getting the 80 psi one to start with.
Only $15.00.

Yea, I was thinking you could just put a line on the socket and watch it.

Thanks, Brad or whoever you are. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif)
+Quote Post
Brad Roberts
post Jul 3 2006, 02:46 PM
Post #8

914 Freak!

I like the Capt' reply above yours!! LOL

Goes right along with the "kids" in my post.

V
+Quote Post
URY914
post Jul 3 2006, 02:49 PM
Post #9

I'm a kid at heart (IMG:style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif)
+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 16th May 2024 - 09:27 AM